• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

tips for wearing stained clothes?

WoolPippi

I often spill food on myself. When cooking, when eating. It's one of those things. You know: concentration, coordination. Priorities.
Most of the clothes I spill on are favourite items. And often I cannot get the stain out. (again concentration, priorities)

so do you have any tips for wearing clothes that have drop-shaped stains down the front? We're talking shirts and skirts.

Shall I embroider onto the stains, to make it "a design feature"?
Wear a stylish apron or shawl over them? (I guess I should wear an apron whilst cooking and a bib whilst eating but we both know I will forget to use those.)
Should I use a textile pen to make matching dots?

I want to keep wearing these clothes but not look so messy.

SOC

I often spill food on myself. When cooking, when eating. It's one of those things. You know: concentration, coordination. Priorities.
Most of the clothes I spill on are favourite items. And often I cannot get the stain out. (again concentration, priorities)

so do you have any tips for wearing clothes that have drop-shaped stains down the front? We're talking shirts and skirts.

Shall I embroider onto the stains, to make it "a design feature"?
Wear a stylish apron or shawl over them? (I guess I should wear an apron whilst cooking and a bib whilst eating but we both know I will forget to use those.)
Should I use a textile pen to make matching dots?

I want to keep wearing these clothes but not look so messy.
I vote for the textile pen technique. :) Draw some more dots and drops, or make them into flowers and cover the shirt/skirt with dots/drops/flowers. Or go with a nice abstract mixture of shapes and colors. It has the added advantage of giving you something mindless to do on dreadful brainfog days. Drawing dots, drawing dots, drawing dots.... :sleep: :D

WoolPippi

How about a festive garment especially for eating. Not a bib, which would mainly emphasize sloppiness. No, something to celebrate eating, a special "food garb". Made from fabric that suits stains.

Perhaps a large loose garment, from cloth depicting squirrels and nuts and leafs. Or eco printed perhaps. (this is using leaves and rusty nails as stamps on fabric. Looks muddy and stained to begin with. Looks organic and hipster too. Lets you get away with stains!)

With a large pocket in front for all those things I forget to take with me to and fro. A frilled pocket. For festivity.

ahmo

(I guess I should wear an apron whilst cooking and a bib whilst eating but we both know I will forget to use those.)
I use linen dish towels for bib. Always. I know it just takes 1 slip to ruin my clothes. Just the other day a something bypassed the bib to land on shirt. (so maybe it doesn't matter.!) My DH, OTOH, ruins every shirt he wears, particularly with turmeric.

Your festive garment is a great idea.;):balloons:

L'engle

moogle
Buying clothing that is patterned to begin with is helpful, the stains just look like part of the pattern!! :D

I love that this thread exists and people aren't just saying 'stained clothes are gross and should be thrown out'.

I really hang onto my old clothes until they fall apart because shopping is very strenuous and costly.

Rooney

I also have a collection of stained but well-loved clothes. I tend to keep the bottom ones longer as they are not close to your face where people are looking directly. I've thought of typing correction paint for my white pants. Replacing these clothes is impossible given my OI.

Whenever I cook or eat (REALLY reclined) I wear one of two thick cotton aprons that cover my to collar to my knees. One is always draped over the ladder back chair I have brought into the kitchen. Now I think my aprons need a pocket!!

Great topic.

SDSue

Southeast
Tide to Go pen. Works pretty well for those that aren’t "set" by heat of dryer. I know that’s not really your question, but maybe it can prevent future issues? Glad I’m not the only one spilling regularly. :whistle:

WoolPippi

Tide to Go pen. Works pretty well for those that aren’t "set" by heat of dryer. I know that’s not really your question, but maybe it can prevent future issues? Glad I’m not the only one spilling regularly. :whistle:
I just thought this would be a good place to mention stain treatment too and there's your post :)

chocolate/tomato-sauce: cool water, not hot because hot water sets the dye. Rub with natural soap or soft soap. (Dutch brand: Driehoek. Belgium: bruine zeep)

soft soap is NOT Softsoap from Palmolive.

Daffodil

lol this is a funny thread. i also have major coordination problems, especially when the fog is bad. but I dont have to worry cuz I am in my PJ's 95% of the time LOL

i guess you could dye the clothing, but its a lot of work to do it yourself. i would wear a nice vest over them maybe.

keep an apron hanging in the kitchen at all times and try to use it as often as possible...?

Raines

Seize. Eggs. I don't know. Zebra. Eighties.
A big broach? Or some humorous badges? Depending on where the stains are this option might not work!

Most my stains are on my sleeves, I amazed at how often I dip them in soup or sauce!

The number one thing I spill is tea, and that doesn't stain, but there is now a saying in our house 'tea not wee'

GracieJ

I do my best to eat my meals in my PJs or underwear so my outfits remain clean. I have more than one stained work shirt because of this. Not a good plan... but the shirts are dark, and no one notices it when I am at work. It is my last resort to wear one of those.

This won't work for many here, but I eat standing up in the kitchen if I am dressed. It helps.

When and if I ever live with someone else again... I guess I had better plan on mealtime outfits or something, or maybe an oversized t-shirt is all.

It is comforting to know there is a reason and it is not just me!

Mary

Moderator Resource
I just about live in an apron. Any time I do anything in the kitchen (dishes, cooking, eating), on goes the apron. So if I go outside to get my mail, e.g,, chances are I'm wearing my apron because I forget to take it off - I look like Susie housekeeper! though my house is a mess because I can't clean it. But my clothes are clean! :sluggish:

I used to have the same issues, but found a very easy solution: cooking and eating naked!!

I used to do this when weather permitted, until a few months ago when i got a 2nd or 3rd degree burn in the bend of my groin 2 inches long about an inch from my foof.

Thanks to spectacular round the clock dressing and treating by myself (as i'm too ill for unexpected ER visits) my charred genital area is almost back to normal

My stained clothes are very, very attractive to me now :)