• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HELP, ‪I'M AT RISK, STARTING TO TAKE FLUDROCORTISONE ON MY OWN

How risky is fludrocortisone/florinef?

• no risk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • minimal risk

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • moderate risk

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • high risk

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • are you trying to commit suicide or what?

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
I have written this before but my computer crashed, the thing is that due to medical neglect I'm going to start consuming fludrocortisone (brand name florinef) to treat my ME/CFS related POTS (diagnosed unequivocally by a ppositivetilt table test), since no doctor knows or is willing to treat me. I got good results using pseudoefedrine on my own, which is a vasoconstrictor, so I spect that the most commonly prescribed drug for POTS which is also a vasoconstrictor, will help me even more. I can't stand this no more, I´m control of my treatment. I've already bought the fludrocortisone pills, and I´m completely determinate to take them, but I´m afraid of the risks. Is anybody familiarized with this drug or has any advice on how to minimize it risks? Thank you!!

Sidereal

Are the negligent doctors willing to at least monitor your potassium levels? I've experimented on myself with many prescription meds without medical supervision but personally I would not self-prescribe anything that affects water and electrolyte balance such as fludrocortisone (or desmopressin) because getting it wrong could get you hospitalised or dead.

Hip

I know it's not the question you asked, but have you tried taking salt (sodium chloride) as a POTS treatment? Details of salt dosage for POTS are given on this page: POTS - What Helps

Basically, anything from 3 to 15 grams of salt per day, in divided doses.

lauluce

Are the negligent doctors willing to at least monitor your potassium levels? I've experimented on myself with many prescription meds without medical supervision but personally I would not self-prescribe anything that affects water and electrolyte balance such as fludrocortisone (or desmopressin) because getting it wrong could get you hospitalised or dead.
That's quite sad to hear and it was exactly what I feared... I don't think any doctor whould check my potassium levels if I tell them that it's because l'm taking that med on my own, yet I could trick some doctor into prescribing the test... How to do it is the question, any ideas?

lauluce

I know it's not the question you asked, but have you tried taking salt (sodium chloride) as a POTS treatment? Details of salt dosage for POTS are given on this page: POTS - What Helps

Basically, anything from 3 to 15 grams of salt per day, in divided doses.
I though about it but Im not sure how to do it, should I take the salt as is or try to get salt pills or tablets? If it is the later, since I should ask some pharmacy to prepare them, It'll maybe be difficult. I'm from Argentina by the way

Hip

I though about it but Im not sure how to do it, should I take the salt as is or try to get salt pills or tablets? If it is the later, since I should ask some pharmacy to prepare them, It'll maybe be difficult. I'm from Argentina by the way

Ordinary salt that you use for cooking is fine. That is what I used when I tried this salt protocol myself, to try to treat my own POTS.

I used a dose of 2 grams of salt, mixed into a large glass of water (200 ml), and drunk down in one go. This I did three times a day. So that is a total of 6 grams of salt a day.

It is best to mix the salt in a good amount of water, because if you use only a small glass of water, you can get some mild stomach irritation when you swallow the water, because it is too concentrated with salt. If you do feel some stomach irritation, just drink some more fresh water, and it will usually go away.

This protocol is very easy to, and costs next to nothing.

Note that one level teaspoon of salt weights around 4 or 5 grams. So for a dose of 2 grams, you want half a level teaspoon of salt.

lauluce

Ordinary salt that you use for cooking is fine. That is what I used when I tried this salt protocol myself, to try to treat my own POTS.

I used a dose of 2 grams of salt, mixed into a large glass of water (200 ml), and drunk down in one go. This I did three times a day. So that is a total of 6 grams of salt a day.

It is best to mix the salt in a good amount of water, because if you use only a small glass of water, you can get some mild stomach irritation when you swallow the water, because it is too concentrated with salt. If you do feel some stomach irritation, just drink some more fresh water, and it will usually go away.

This protocol is very easy to, and costs next to nothing.

Note that one level teaspoon of salt weights around 4 or 5 grams. So for a dose of 2 grams, you want half a level teaspoon of salt.
Thank yoju! Ill try iy

Gingergrrl

I tried Florinef for three months in 2014 (supplementing Potassium) but had no positive benefit. It gave me daily headaches but did not raise my BP or other autonomic issues. But others have done well with it so we are all different. I am still looking for the autonomic medication that will help me, too!

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
How to do it is the question, any ideas?
A metabolic panel or an electrolyte panel should not be that hard to get. Just say you want to check your electrolytes. It's not unreasonable, these are basic screening tests: they should order something like this without much argument. If you have any insurance at all, they should pay their part no hassle.

If you need to give the doc something to write down, say your relevant symptoms (dizzy or lightheaded, head rush, rapid heart rate, palpitations, low blood pressure, high blood pressure spikes, whatever it is you have) and be sure to mention if you are having bowel problems because that could cause electrolyte imbalance.

You will want to monitor your blood pressure while you use the salt. You can buy a blood pressure monitor online. Some people use sea salt, because it has various minerals, and some people mix in no-sodum salt substitute because it has potassium. I use an electrolyte mix that's designed to be the same mix of electrolytes as blood; I feel pretty safe with that and my doctor likes it (I'm fortunate to have doctors who will at least order blood tests and, finally now, basic medicines like florinef).

bertiedog

I take just half a tab of fludrocortisone when I am suffering with extreme sweating and getting bad symptoms and within an hour I start to feel a touch better ... but I have virtual adrenal insufficiency and also take 6mg Prednisolone daily so I am not your normal ME/CFS/Lyme patient. However I also did used to suffer with POTS so I know what that is like.

To treat my symptoms I also needed a low dose betablocker, 20 mg Propananol once or twice daily to stop the overproduction of adrenaline and by doing this I have virtually eliminated the POTS, its only an occasional problem first thing in the morning if I try to do too much before my steroid has kicked in.

With herbal treatment for the late stage Lyme I can now do an average of 8500 steps daily but if I wasn't in the fortunate position of having some treatment I would be lying on the couch all day unable to even sit up. I remember it very well.

I do wonder if extreme POTS is also a sign of probably quite severe weakness of the adrenals which is rarely treated unless it gets to Addisons levels. The way the traditional doctors see the adrenals is that they either work normally, or if there is too much production of cortisol it is called Cushings disease and if it is the opposite it is Addisons. They don't seem to get that we can have adrenals that can still produce some cortisol, enough to keep us alive but not sufficient for us to be able to handle normal day to day stress like getting up, eating and trying to do physical stuff.

I take it that you have researched POTS well so you know about the combo of meds that is suggested, ie a low dose betablocker and Fludro or Midodrine? BTW Taking extra salt doesn't work for me if it is hot for longer than a week, only half a tab of Fludro for a few days will work and then it is like a miracle drug for me.

Pam

WoolPippi

Is anybody familiarized with this drug or has any advice on how to minimize it risks? Thank you!!
my take is: you are about to do HRT, so have a hormonal panel drawn up.

Florinef was prescribed to me because I lacked it in the panel. To me it's an adrenal drug first and a vasoconstrictor second.
Make sure you lack this hormone before you take it.
Taking it because of POTS is an assumption (but I know little of POTS). You are not certain a shortage of Aldosterone causes your POTS. (Florinef is replacement for the Aldosteron hormone, my endo told me)

I no longer take Florinef (which worked very well for me), I'm on Hydrocortisone now. This too has Aldosterone properties. It doesn't work as well for low BP though, I need lots of salt (regular table salt, Himalayan Celtic salt etc) to remain upright. At the same time at risk for dehydration. I live by the British site on Addison's disease.

My Hydrocortison is for adrenal reasons, I have adrenal insufficiency on top of ME. Blood panels are not monitored atm, I'm flying by symptoms alone. For this I have done lots of research and know exactly when I'm in danger of side effects. But still is risky business.

You are about to take a powerful hormone. Do not exceed the natural occurring dosage in the body ("physiological daily dose"), I don't know what it is for Fludrocortison. For Hydrocortison it's about 20 mg. For Progesteron it's 100 mg (male and female). You NEVER start at this dose. For Hydrocortison I started at 2,5 mg per day.

If you did a search on this website alone you will find a research paper on corticosteroids and ME, its a recipe for disaster. Obviously if you have a life threatening illness like Addison's its a different matter.
Why on earth would you want to(among other things) suppress your immune system?

Sidereal

How to do it is the question, any ideas?

It's part of a basic metabolic panel your doctor would run, it shouldn't be a problem to get it tested. The problem is that you would want your potassium monitored regularly when you're starting fludrocortisone whereas your doctor probably only runs your labs once or twice a year, if even.

lauluce

It's part of a basic metabolic panel your doctor would run, it shouldn't be a problem to get it tested. The problem is that you would want your potassium monitored regularly when you're starting fludrocortisone whereas your doctor probably only runs your labs once or twice a year, if even.
I'm starting to do my research on fludrocortisone, electrolytes and potassium, when I started this tread I just had bought the fludrocortisone pills out of rage for having been mistreated by a doctor who promised to treat my pots and then refused arguing that it was risky, risky for him. How often do you think potassium should be monitored when taking this drug? Perhaps I'll start as many suggested, trying to increase my blood volume using salts... I gotta research that

lauluce

I'm in a sad situation, but laughin is good for the soul... Somebody checked "are you trying to commit suicide or what" on the poll!!! :D