• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

stenotrophomonas maltophilia infection

el_squared

Hi there,
I'm new to the forum. I have Celiac Disease and Fibro and likely CFS. I get chronic sinus infections but often I'm not sure of what type. This time, the culture came back positive for this bacterium: stenotrophomonas maltophilia.

I understand it's very antibiotic resistant and usually shows up in immune-compromised people.

My question is: Has anyone else been diagnosed with this such infection? Is this common in CFS?

thanks for your input!
Laura

el_squared

Yes, Levoquin, which is one of the few considered effective to kill it. I am aware that this antibiotic is rough, and it's not good to do any of them. Luckily, I have a liquid form of it that I'm inhaling, so hopefully it's more topical and doesn't go throughout my system.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Just looked it up and seems bactrim can be used to treat this infection. From what i read its commonly found in catheters and drains etc where synthetic material is used etc.

el_squared

Yeah and it's in my nose! I do wonder if I got it through the neti pot. I try to always use distilled water, but sometimes I fail. I'm going to be more careful. Also, there is a very interesting university study linking people infected with this bacteria to living in water damaged homes. My apartment has had water damage over the years in various places, but any mold testing done has been negative and no mold is visible. Still, I worry that's playing a role.

http://healthnews.uc.edu/news/?/20422/

Yes, Levoquin, which is one of the few considered effective to kill it. I am aware that this antibiotic is rough, and it's not good to do any of them. Luckily, I have a liquid form of it that I'm inhaling, so hopefully it's more topical and doesn't go throughout my system.

Fluoroquinolones :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hopefully, you are not afflicted by it's awful side effects. :thumbsup:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@heapsreal suggested bactrim so that might be an easier place to start. Do a month or more. It took me a month on doxycycline to get rid or my sinus infection. I don't know what the bacteria was.

I know. I worry.
There's been a few papers published which indicate that N-acetylcysteine (NAC) helps prevent against collagen damage caused by flouroquinolones. I'm on a flouroquinolone for 10 days each of last month and the next two months, and haven't had any side effects thus far while on the NAC as well.