• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

head transplant

It seems no thread about this yet so i post it.
At first i thought its a hoax cause it seems impossible but looks like its valid.
Still its so bizzare and creepy to me. Wont it post so much risk too. Also how about the donor.

Do they plan to develop it as a treatment to treat some disease :confused:
sure its a breakthrough but i just cant imagine it....
And some also say what if mans head got attach to female body.....

I only post 1 article but give 2 links there are many if you google it.
Source:
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/23/opinions/conversation-head-transplant/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/11672996/Russian-man-to-undergo-worlds-first-full-head-transplant.htm
Thirty-year-old Valery Spiridinov hopes to have his head transplanted on to another man's body in 2017 but some doctors have doubts.
Mr Spiridinov, from Russia, suffers from Werdnig Hoffman disease, a muscle wasting condition that seriously diminishes his physical capabilities and left him dependent on a wheelchair.

Now he has announced his intention to become the world’s first subject of a full head transplant, so that his brain can be attached to ahealthy body.

The whole process, Dr Canavero says, is “90 per cent” guaranteed to succeed, though he admitted: “Of course there is a marginal risk. I cannot deny that."

Other doctors have expressed serious doubts, and, in particular, the likelihood that Mr Spiridinov’s brain will still be functional by the time the surgery....
Stage one involves cooling the patient and donor’s bodies in order to prevent the brain cells from dying during the operation.

Next, the neck is partially severed and the blood vessels from one body linked to the other with............
Stage 3 involves knitting together the survivor’s blood vessels and nerves, though Mr Crocker said he doubted whether the feat had ever been attempted on such a scale successfully before.

The body is then kept in a coma for several weeks to prevent......
Read more here.
From cnn:
.....The person who wakes from head transplant surgery might have no consciousness of Spridinov's past and no sense of himself as Spridinov. If this were to happen Spridinov would no longer exist on Locke's view. Instead, the surgery would bring into existence a new person who happens to have with Spridinov's head.

Locke's theory has recently come under fire from philosophers who call themselves "animalists". They hold that each of us is a human animal, and the person who emerges from the surgery is the same person as Spridinov just as long as he is the same human animal as Spridinov. Unlike Locke, animalists think that this is a physical rather than a mental or psychological matter. Our mental lives can be disrupted without calling into question our continued existence.

Even from an animalist perspective, there is a case for saying that if any person wakes up from the surgery that person will be Spridinov. A human animal can arguably survive the loss of its limbs and most of its internal organs as long as its head and brain are kept alive and functional. The whole body isn't required. For animalists, as for Locke, Spridinov might be right to think that he is being offered a new body rather than certain death. But sameness of person might be seen as being of little value without the mental continuity............

(It doesnt allow to post full entire article here.)

Last edited:

duncan

Isn't the body usually supplied by grave robbers? I'm pretty sure that's what the seminal Frankensteen, Abinormal et al study demonstrated in 1974.

Last edited:
Lol i didnt think it could turn into something funny :rofl:
you guys sure can make interesting comments :rofl:or maybe cause it couldnt display the entire article.
Moderator says it isnt allowed :(

It freaks me out when i read the article. Especially when it says they have to freeze the brain , etc and about blood vessel, nerve .:zippit:

@justy some people want the head some want the body err....:nervous:
I think its the body though. I mean the head is where the brain, consciousness is, controls the body
@minkeygirl lol :rofl: if they attach 2 heads itll be awsomely wacko. :jaw-drop:
Isnt that supposed to be conjoined twins? But they dont look alike :confused:

Edit: i juat saw the video its hilarious thanks for posting it.
A white mans head get transplanted into a black mans body .:confused:

Another idea is if a man/frmale head transplanted into an opposite sex body.
@duncan thats scary but if the body is dead how could it work :confused:

Last edited:
More from cnn:
........The person who wakes from head transplant surgery might have no consciousness of Spridinov's past and no sense of himself as Spridinov. If this were to happen Spridinov would no longer exist on Locke's view. Instead, the surgery would bring into existence a new person who happens to have with Spridinov's head.

Locke's theory has recently come under fire from philosophers who call themselves "animalists". They hold that each of us is a human animal, and the person who emerges from the surgery is the same person as Spridinov just as long as he is the same human animal as Spridinov. Unlike Locke, animalists think that this is a physical rather than a mental or psychological matter. Our mental lives can be disrupted without calling into question our continued existence.

Even from an animalist perspective, there is a case for saying that if any person wakes up from the surgery that person will be Spridinov. A human animal can arguably survive the loss of its limbs and most of its internal organs as long as its head and brain are kept alive and functional. The whole body isn't required. For animalists, as for Locke, Spridinov might be right to think that he is being offered a new body rather than certain death. But sameness of person might be seen as being of little value without the mental continuity............
Read more:
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/23/opinions/conversation-head-transplant/

Last edited:

Misfit Toy

I think it's hilarious! OMG...what next? LOL....well, some believe that this illness is a brain disease or brain on fire...maybe we can get a new brain!

When the book, "The Second Brain" was written..they were not talking about the stomach after all!

alex3619

I would call this a body transplant rather than a brain transplant. You wake up with a new body. There is nothing there for the body to wake up to a new head, except for automatic function and maybe some trace memory in the nervous system.

This is a really freaky thing to do. I would want it perfected on animals before they even tried to do it on humans. Even that raises serious ethical questions, not to mention issues with transferring techniques from animal subjects to human subjects.

@alex3619 thats a good point. Shouldnt they test it on animal first usually before human. :confused:
Im just really confused about the spinal cord and still it seems there are many puzzles.
At first i thought this treatment is for people who paralyzed from neck to bottom.
Or some else condition.

@Misfit Toy
:D I thought its microbiome and digestive issue too, immunity :confused:seems like cfs is more complex and widespread so it confused me wether its the body or the head or both lol i was thinking even the head or body got replaced the other 1 still got issue right.

Last edited: