• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to Make Magnesium Enemas w/ Epsom Salt

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Here's an illustrated guide that explains how to make magnesium enemas.

Oral magnesium is very poorly absorbed. Gels and sprays are better not stellar.

Enemas offer close to injection-level potency for raising magnesium levels. Magnesium enemas are painless, quick and can be made very cheaply with materials available at your local store.

Last edited:
Here's an illustrated guide that explains how to make magnesium enemas.

Oral magnesium is very poorly absorbed. Gels and sprays are not that great either.

Enemas offer close to injection-level potency for raising magnesium levels. Magnesium enemas are painless, quick and can be made very cheaply with materials available at your local store.

Hi Sherpa

Are you still using these and having success with them?

I am thinking of trying this in place of injections which I hear are very painful. I recently had the mitochondrial function tests done by Acumen labs in the uk which confirm that I have very low Magnesium and so I am looking to raise my levels more effectively over the next 2-3 months or so.

Thanks

Goodvibes

Mij

Hi Sherpa

I am thinking of trying this in place of injections which I hear are very painful. I recently had the mitochondrial function tests done by Acumen labs in the uk which confirm that I have very low Magnesium and so I am looking to raise my levels more effectively over the next 2-3 months or so.

Thanks

Goodvibes

I've taken magnesium injections with added taurine in the past (off and on) for many years and they were not painful.

Mij

@GoodVibesOnly I did not have my mg levels retested after the injections but my symptoms of deficiency were resolved. I was so deficient that I would very quickly become out of breath and have difficulty putting one leg forward. I also had this constant movement in my head, similar to parkinsonism.

I continued to take the shots off and on for a few more years because I felt it gave me more fuel in the tank, so to speak. My gait was smoother.

I now rub mg magnesium chloride gel all over just for maintenance to be sure I do not become deficient again.

Sherpa

Hi Sherpa

Goodvibes

Yes, @GoodVibesOnly I am still using these. I feel confident it is raising my magnesium level. After one bottle (1000ml of espom salt water) my magnesim RBC level is up to 4.8. My goal is over 6.0

Much better than transdermal or pills. You can really feel it. I have not tried injections so I cannot compare to those.

Yes, @GoodVibesOnly I am still using these. I feel confident it is raising my magnesium level. After one bottle (1000ml of espom salt water) my magnesim RBC level is up to 4.8. My goal is over 6.0

Much better than transdermal or pills. You can really feel it. I have not tried injections so I cannot compare to those.

@Sherpa thanks for getting back, really appreciate it. I think I will try this when I get my supplies together.

Do you mind if I ask how much of an increase you have had i.e. where your Mg levels were before this intervention?

Sherpa

@GoodVibesOnly Sorry I do not have a baseline measurement but I am absolutely positive I was deficient. Taking methylation supplements made me use up more Mg, it seemed. I was less functional before i started this. Now I am in range (lower end)and want to get my levels up to the higher end of the range.

Gingergrrl

I've taken magnesium injections with added taurine in the past (off and on) for many years and they were not painful.

I am in the process of trying to get these injections (Mag & Taurine) but do not have them yet. Am glad to hear they helped you @Mij.

Mij

@Gingergrrl Is your doctor unsure about them?

I gave my functional medicine doctor Dr. Cheney's protocol because he didn't have experience with giving me the amount I wanted. It took almost one year to convince him :rolleyes:

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl Is your doctor unsure about them?

I gave my functional medicine doctor Dr. Cheney's protocol because he didn't have experience with giving me the amount I wanted. It took almost one year to convince him :rolleyes:

Long story and I gave the Cheney protocol too. I may PM you later to discuss.

I have epsom salt baths every 3/4 days that I feel are beneficial - though I'm not sure if it's due to the epsom salt or the heat. I have temperatures as hot as I can stand and stay in for approx 45 minutes. The heat is for sweat/removing toxins, which I do plenty with the hot water. The epsom salt is for relaxation/magnesium. They make me feel worse for a few hours after, and can even feel pretty bad while happening, but then definitely better - brighter, lighter a bit more energetic. It's no short term cure, but nice to find something you can rely on to give you some benefit.

Alexi

Can anyone give a step by step easy guide to making a magnesium chloride spray please ? What mag is best ?

Wayne

Can anyone give a step by step easy guide to making a magnesium chloride spray please ? What mag is best ?

Hi @Alexi,

I interpret magnesium chloride spray as being "magnesium oil". I use magnesium oil every day, and make it by filling any sized jar half way with MAGNESIUM FLAKES. I then fill the jar to the top with water. It takes about a day for about 95% of it to dissolve, and vuella, you have magnesium oil. It's not really an oil, but it does leave a somewhat oily feeling on your skin. (Can also slightly irritate the skin).

My next batch, I'm going to use half magnesium flakes (magnesium chloride), and half epsom salts (magnesium sulfate). Both can be used by the body, and have somewhat different qualities. Magnesium chloride can be easily converted to HCL, which can be helpful for digestion.​