• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study of muscle weakness in arms and trunk in PWME

Sasha

Fine, thank you
MERUK reporting a new Belgian study here:

http://www.meresearch.org.uk/news/muscle-weakness/

MERUK said:
One of the key difficulties that ME/CFS patients face is standing (orthostasis), particularly standing still. For them, simply being upright can trigger a cluster of symptoms, such as dizziness, altered vision, nausea, fatigue, headache or sweating. This ‘orthostatic intolerance’ can have many causes (see our article, “Standing up for ME”), but a a lack of endurance in the muscles of the trunk, which maintain the upright position, could be a contributing factor, as a new study shows.

For the investigation, researchers at Antwerp University Hospital recruited 72 women with ME/CFS, 30 women with osteoporosis (who also have standing problems) and 55 healthy women. All underwent a timed-loaded standing test which measures how long a person can hold a 1 kg dumbbell in each hand in front of her with straight arms. This test assesses combined trunk and arm endurance, and is intended to simulate the performance of the torso during everyday activities. As expected, timed-loaded standing was significantly shorter in patients with osteoporosis (84.5 seconds on average) than in the healthy women (165 seconds). In women with ME/CFS, however, timed-loaded standing was significantly lower (50 seconds) than in either of these groups. The authors note that problems with standing upright and physical activity are similar in ME/CFS and osteoporosis patients – both groups have problems keeping their spines vertical (read the report). This, and the specific biomechanical weakness identified in the women with ME/CFS, certainly needs further investigation.

[Read more via the link above)]

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
This ‘orthostatic intolerance’ can have many causes (see our article, “Standing up for ME”), but a a lack of endurance in the muscles of the trunk, which maintain the upright position, could be a contributing factor, as a new study shows.
All underwent a timed-loaded standing test which measures how long a person can hold a 1 kg dumbbell in each hand in front of her with straight arms. This test assesses combined trunk and arm endurance, and is intended to simulate the performance of the torso during everyday activities.
I have to disagree with their basic premise as I don't personally find that holding a 1 kg dumbbell in each hand in front of me, with straight arms is a measure of core of trunk strength at all. Rather (for ME/CFS patients anyway) that it probably triggers something in the autonomic nervous system in relation to the use of arms in an elevated position.

This is just my anecdotal report from personal experience: I have great core/trunk strength from pilates but there is no way I could hold a 1 kg dumbbell in each hand, in front of me for more than a few seconds.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I have to disagree with their basic premise as I don't personally find that holding a 1 kg dumbbell in each hand in front of me, with straight arms is a measure of core of trunk strength at all. Rather (for ME/CFS patients anyway) that it probably triggers something in the autonomic nervous system in relation to the use of arms in an elevated position.

This is just my anecdotal report from personal experience: I have great core/trunk strength from pilates but there is no way I could hold a 1 kg dumbbell in each hand, in front of me for more than a few seconds.

I've read that having your arms above heart-level triggers ANS problems in people with OI so I agree with you.

Tammy

My OI fluctuates as to intensity............once in awhile I can actually stand still/upright without difficulty and nothing has changed as far as my core strength..........so I don't think that is influencing it at all.