• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EBV peptide test

Hip

I think that this is the new peptide test that Prof. Scheibenbogen has developed with JPT Technologies?

https://shop.jpt.com/1-PepMix-trade...ections/1314-PepMix-trade-Collection-EBV.html

It fits with their 2014 paper on the EBV immune response in CFS patients, so maybe this might be a new diagnostic test for a subset (EBV-triggered) of CFS patients?

Would you know how this is actually used as a diagnostic test? It seems to be a set of antigens from the Epstein-Barr virus, designed to stimulate an anti-EBV immune response.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Would you know how this is actually used as a diagnostic test? It seems to be a set of antigens from the Epstein-Barr virus, designed to stimulate an anti-EBV immune response.

I don't think this is going to be a diagnostic test of any sort. It may be a way of stratifying patients by their T cell responses to different peptides from EBV but I don't think that will say anything about whether or not the EBV has anything to do with their ME. I guess it would be more likely to reflect their MHC genetics.

I heard from one of prof Scheibenbogen's patients that the test is supposed to be used for diagnosing an EBV-specific fatigue, regardless of PCR results. She seems to think that [a subset of?] CFS patients suffer from repeated EBV replications (complete or incomplete). I'm just quoting, I haven't talked to her for almost a year, but she mentioned the test to me back then as well.

Do you know if it would work in a person who has been ill for decades?
I have no idea, but my guess would be yes. Why? Because the test has been developed in the context of the 2014 paper on EBV/CFS (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0085387) where the average disease duration is around 7 years with a range up to the 30s.

Prof. Scheibenbogen will also perform a (treatment) study on 10 CFS (probably EBV-triggered, as this is their main research focus?) patients from autumn 2015. It shouldn't take too long before results are published, if I understood correctly.

Hip

the test has been developed in the context of the 2014 paper on EBV/CFS (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0085387)

Interesting paper. They say that they found deficient memory B-cell and T-cell response in ME/CFS patients, suggesting an impaired ability to control early stages of EBV reactivation.

I wonder if this links up to a previous 2012 study (from Lerner et al) which found partial EBV reactivation in some ME/CFS patients generating two viral proteins, DNA polymerase and dUTPase, with the patients producing antibodies to neutralize these proteins (actual paper here).