• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fred's protocol/methylation same and biotin dosage?

aturtles

I don't believe freddd says how much SAM-e or biotin. SAMe he recommends titrating up, possibly over months. My research says " 600-1,200mg range over the course of a day, divided into two or three separated doses with meals" (http://examine.com/supplements/S-Adenosyl+Methionine/), so that should be a safe dose. I myself take only about 800, and because it makes me sleepy, only at night. As for biotin, you can supplement up to 600mcg or even up to 1mcg or higher safely (according to my research and discussions), though I would start low and titrate up. I take 600mcg biotin, but will probably increase when my current experiments settle out.

As with all these things, if you change/ add only one thing at a time, you have more information.

aturtles

@aturtles the bottle I have is 5000mcg per capsule!!! :eek: Is this a really really high dose???

The simplest answer is that we don't know.

Some of my research turns up these relevant quotes:

"The maximum safe dose of biotin is unknown."

"Because it is generally safe and well-tolerated many people take as high as 10000mcg [10mg] a day with no documented side effects."

"...according to the National Institute of Health, doses as high as 200mg have been used without significant adverse effects."

200mg. That's a lot more than 5mg. :)

I myself currently take 600mcg/day (included in my Jarrow Formulas sustained release ALA 2x) but I would have no hesitations going up to 5mg a day -- indeed, it's on my list of things to try again. (I make changes one at a time so I can isolate results.)

The cautious approach would be to take only some of the capsule -- break it open; as I recall it doesn't taste like much -- and start with somewhat less, perhaps an estimated 1mg, 2x day, just to see if you have any problems tolerating it, then titrate up over days.

I didn't have any problems with the 5mg, but YMMV, etc; see my disclaimer.

Hope this helps.