• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dark circles under eyes after onset of M.E.

hello there,

i would like to know, who got immediate onset of dark circles under eyes when got M.E.? If so, what was the cause of your M.E.? Virus? Hormonal?

In my case, 2-3 days after rapid onset of M.E. i developed dark circles under my eyes, but only in the corner between eye and nose. I tried everything to let them disappear.. all Vitamins are in full range upper limit.. All Hormones are good. A long time I thought, my ME problem is due thyroid-conditions.. but now i think, this was the whole wrong way.. because i had inflammed tonsils, swollen lymphnodes under arms, fatigue and sweating when i got sick.. with immediate onset of dark circles. I started 2 days ago to treat EBV and CMV with valcyte.

Wayne

Yes I have this. Its one of the first things I noticed.

It was the first thing my Mom noticed. I started out with slow onset and gradually worsening ME, and didn't tell her much about it at the time. But she did notice my eyes early on. Perhaps in part because of it, she was always interested, supportive and understanding of my health issues when few others were.

Sidereal

Dark circles appeared one day in the mid-1990s and have been with me ever since. I look ghastly.

Thinktank

I've had dark-circles pre-onset of illness. In my case it's caused by food intolerance and hypoglycemia.

tyson oberle

I've had dark-circles pre-onset of illness. In my case it's caused by food intolerance and hypoglycemia.
I developed dark circles under my eyes with my illness and my gut feeling is that it is also somehow caused by food intolerances. But I would like to know exactly how? And also how with hypoglycemia? Thinktank, do you know?

sarah darwins

I developed dark circles under my eyes with my illness and my gut feeling is that it is also somehow caused by food intolerances
I have the same gut feeling (pun in there somewhere).

I got the dreaded dark circles when I first became ill. Real panda job. They were greatly reduced in colour and extent when I went gluten-free (I'm very intolerant of it) about 7 years later. Still have them but they've not been especially noticeable since then.

sarah darwins

when i did a gluten free diet, i have noticed nothing .. no symptom changed
Then you're probably not gluten-intolerant, but you might want to consider other potential food intolerances and try an elimination diet. tyson oberle suggested was that it might be food intolerances, not specifically gluten.

When I went gluten-free I lost about 10kg in weight, without trying, which took me back to a 'healthy' body weight, my continuing viral symptoms were greatly reduced, my energy levels improved and those dark circles got a lot less dark. It didn't cure me, but it made a really big difference.

I was just making the point that the dark circles, for me, seemed to be linked to food intolerance.

bertiedog

I also have those dark circles together with bags under my eyes, one of the reason I was glad to wear glasses! My adrenals are treated now but they haven't disappeared unfortunately.

Pam

Then you're probably not gluten-intolerant, but you might want to consider other potential food intolerances and try an elimination diet. tyson oberle suggested was that it might be food intolerances, not specifically gluten.

When I went gluten-free I lost about 10kg in weight, without trying, which took me back to a 'healthy' body weight, my continuing viral symptoms were greatly reduced, my energy levels improved and those dark circles got a lot less dark. It didn't cure me, but it made a really big difference.

I was just making the point that the dark circles, for me, seemed to be linked to food intolerance.

yeah i know that dark circles can appear because of allergy or intolerance to different things.. they are also called allergyc shiners. But in my case, they suddenly appeared with all the cognitive/physical symptoms.. immediatly after onset.
I have asthma too and neurodermitis and am allergyc to house dust for example and different other things.. but i never had allergyc shiners until the onset of cfs/me.
so everybody is different and everybody has to try what works and what not. I think my are due to chronic viruses ebv and cmv