• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Two Anti-Malaria Drugs Protect Dopamine Neurons.

Ema

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...cedaily+(Latest+Science+News+--+ScienceDaily)

The team of international scientists had discovered that by activating Nurr1, a class of proteins found in the brain, it protects the brain's ability to generate dopamine neurons.

Dopamine, commonly known as the chemical in the brain that generates pleasurable feelings, is an important neurotransmitter that affects motor control and movement of muscles in the body.

Parkinson's disease disrupts the production of dopamine neurons and progressively causes the loss of motor control.

In laboratory tests, the scientists found that by activating Nurr1, the rats which had Parkinson's disease appeared to improve in their behaviour and showed no signs of suffering from the disease.

Assoc Prof Yoon said the team had screened about 1000 FDA-approved drugs before they found two anti-malaria drugs which worked: Chloroquine and Amodiaquine.

"Our discovery brings hope for the millions of people suffering from Parkinson's disease, as the drugs that we have found to have worked in the laboratory tests have already been used to treat malaria in patients for decades," said Assoc Prof Yoon, an expert in drug discovery and design.

drob31

Chloroquine aka Plaquenil is also used for Lupus and Autoimmune diseases. According to Dr. Petri (world renowned lupus and APA expert), Plaquenil greatly reduces symptoms in Lupus and other autoimmune diseases. I know there is a risk of eye injury, albeit low.

Ema

Chloroquine aka Plaquenil is also used for Lupus and Autoimmune diseases. According to Dr. Petri (world renowned lupus and APA expert), Plaquenil greatly reduces symptoms in Lupus and other autoimmune diseases. I know there is a risk of eye injury, albeit low.
Plaquenil is actually a metabolite of chloroquine called hydroxychloroquine.

I was actually trying to find out if Plaquenil also had the dopamine neuron protecting effects because the safety profile is much better. I suspect not though or I think they would have included it on the list.

drob31

Plaquenil is actually a metabolite of chloroquine called hydroxychloroquine.

I was actually trying to find out if Plaquenil also had the dopamine neuron protecting effects because the safety profile is much better. I suspect not though or I think they would have included it on the list.

Good call. I would think they would be biochemically similar once the hydroxy (hydrogen/oxygen) bond was removed.