• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Daily Energy Pattern

Daily Energy Pattern

• Worst upon wakening....with gradual improvement over the day.

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Wake up and remain constant energy till bed time.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Spring out of Bed in morning with a gradual energy decline over the day.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Energy all over the place....no particular pattern.

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

gregh286

Hi,
Something always bothered me about CFS/ME was the strange clock pattern my energy cycle nearly always follows.
A complete zombie upon wakening...(I am not talking the type thats hard to get up.....the type that you feel half human...overwhelming awful)....with marginal improvement during day....I know many are like this on the forum.

I have a normal cortisol pattern that is raised morning and falls in evening....so not inverted as above would suggest.

Surely if CFS was a viral/ bacterial origin it shouldnt follow a circadian rhythm.?

I think this holds large clues to what happens in our body during the sleep cycle that is greatly overlooked.

We must be only humans on planet where sleep is detrimental.
I have laid in bed for nights wide awake and have been X10 better the next day than I would have if I had slept....(normal without sleep type tiredness obviously)

Last edited:
Option 1 is closest to my typical day, although I usually have a crash in the late morning to early afternoon....somewhere between 11:30 am to 3 pm.

Typically after 4pm is when I feel best. o_O

Snookum96

I'm usually at my worst in the middle of the day. The first hour or so is not as bad then about 8 am until supper really sucks and then the evening is typically my best part of the day.

Hanna

1. I get-up like a zombie, early in the morning (5h30-6h00)
2. Best time 10-12 a.m
3. Then I run low on battery untill 6-8.00 pm (potatoe couch mode) - worst time= afternoons
4. tiny burst of energy untill before going to bed

But... salivary cortisol graph is not inverted (just begin low, then sinks and rise somewhat late in the day).