• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FBI article: doctor/fraud/wording

Asa

From 2013, an FBI notice about a CFS physician and her clinic-CEO husband (Carol Ann Ryser and Michael Earl Ryser) who were arrested on various counts of fraud. Ryser seems to have been mentioned just a couple of times on PR.

I thought the following language was interesting though (and further below also)...
U.S. Attorney’s Office... Carol Ryser owned Health Centers of America-Kansas City LLC (HCA), a medical clinic in Kansas City, Missouri, that was closed yesterday as part of today’s plea agreement. HCA purported to specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of chronic diseases such as Lyme disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and other auto immune diseases.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150715...to-health-care-fraud-false-tax-return-charges

And an FBI mention of CFS in 2001 in a different incident:
In March 2001, Gregory E. Caplinger, DBA, International Institute of Medical Science hospital and clinics, was indicted in the eastern district of Pennsylvania on 39 counts of wire fraud. Caplinger had falsely represented himself to be a British and U.S. trained physician with a doctor of science degree who was board certified in internal medicine, immunology and oncology. Caplinger used these false credentials and other misrepresentations to convince seriously ill patients to travel from the United States and Canada to the Dominican Republic for treatment.

He convinced patients to travel to the Dominican Republic to participate in his immunological protocol at his clinic which used an [sic] medication called "Immustim." Caplinger claimed that "Immustim" was a medication effective in the treatment of cancer, HIV/Aids, Epstein-barr virus, hepatitis, chronic fatigue syndrome, allergies and other immunological dysfunctions. Caplinger received in excess of $500,000 from patients and approximately $2,000,000 from investors he conned into providing him funding for his "clinic".

Caplinger fled the country on the seventh day of his trial and eventually turned himself in to authorities in the Dominican Republic. Investigation in this matter also determined that Caplinger was not a doctor and had been sited for practicing medicine without a license in 1984 in Florida. He also plead guilty to charges of practicing medicine without a license in the state of North Carolina in 1988. In 1993 he plead guilty to theft charges in Florida for taking money from the elderly after promising to treat patients for Alzheimer's disease. Caplinger is awaiting sentencing and could receive 195 years in jail and a fine of $9.75 million.

What other words could fit in this sentence?? :)

___________ claimed that ___________ was ... effective in the treatment of...chronic fatigue syndrome...

http://web.archive.org/web/20150715....gov/news/testimony/fraud-against-the-elderly

Asa

I suggest you ask poor old Sarah Myhill. :grumpy:
@worldbackwards I'm sorry I don't know who this is (but I can of course look around). I tried to search for other info before I posted, but if I've posted something insensitive, maybe a moderator could remove the entire post? Or I'm happy to edit out anything that's inappropriate. I don't want to be disrespectful to anyone.

[EDIT] Okay. Myhill seems to be a doctor.* I'm afraid I don't know anything about her / her history. I understand that good doctors are unjustly targeted. I understand too though that there are bad doctors who take advantage of desperate people.

*http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/About_my_practice

Last edited:

worldbackwards

No offence at all.:)

Sarah Myhill is a UK doctor who was brought up in front of the GMC for malpractice for offering treatments like B12 injections to help people with ME. Worth mentioning that Dr. Myhill was cleared in the end without a case to answer. The last sentence certainly reminded me of how medical pressure was brought to bare against her.

Were you not saying that this could easily be used against genuinely useful ME doctors using scientifically unproven treatments? That's what I took from it anyway, although I'm sure there are plenty of unscrupulous practitioners around as well - I've given one or two of them my money.

Asa

I was just sharing info... a thought and a site had led to another thought and site, etc. and I did a search for "chronic fatigue syndrome" in the FBI healthcare fraud files, and it seems as the two things above are all that's there. [EDIT] Sorry, I'm slow (dense)! Yes, re the last sentence, what you said is true / makes sense. I was thinking though about the fraud of CBT/GET.

worldbackwards

I was thinking though about the fraud of CBT/GET.
Ah, I see! I do sometimes think it might be easier to get everyone together from all across the world and put them in the same room as to have a conversation on the internet where everyone understands each other.:)