• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treating Brain Fog with sam-E methylation

physicsstudent13

Sam-e seemed to be great for my brain fog and focus/concentration
http://www.ebrainsupplements.com/best-of-nootropics-same
I have terrible brain fog and exhaustion from sleep apnea and heard that TBI brain injury treatments work for that. I did have profound effects from sam-E so I'm taking methylfolate and vitamin B

I'm curious how methylation seems to work to cure brain fog and give clarity/concentration. it seems to induce hormonal changes and give me cystic acne but then I am still foggy today?
today I'm really foggy and can't focus even on 800mg of sam-E, will try 800mg more.
do glutamine, alpha gpc, phos choline, theanine help brain fog?

Aerose91

I would imagine if methylation has helped your brain fog then it is likely caused by a build up of some toxins that is gumming up your brain function. I think if you have seen some good progress with sam-e then you're in the right track.

A lot of people here use Fredd's methylation protocol if I am correct

Aerose91

but I thought methylation is supposed to only create myelin and neurotransmitters, how does it do detoxification?

It does create neurotransmitters but one of the principal jobs of methylation is to create glutathione, which is the bodies best detoxifier. If you check out some of the methylation charts you will see it is formed at the very end, after homocysteine

physicsstudent13

I'm taking sam-E and methyl b12 but am still really foggy and disabled. I started adding in 400mcg of methylfolate but still no effect.
I'm considering injections of citicoline or glutathione, but I've taken NAC for over a year and I still have terrible brain fog and exhaustion

xena

should I try a high dose of methylfolate with the methyl b12 and potassium powder? is it necessary to take the mfolate and mb12 away from potassium?

which of these sprays is the most effective?
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=methylcobalamin spray&tbs=vw:l,p_ord:p&tbm=shop
http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-62778...VQl_F3gvoYsQ4m8DZGqVlNObiRxXFMKVYQaAgje8P8HAQ

i don't know about the sprays but i have been taking high doses (15 mg mthf/day + 4 mg methyl b12 injected) and it's working for me. don't know about potassium; i don't take it, i feel good without it.

helen1

@physicsstudent13 I definitely wouldn't take a high dose of methylfolate right off the bat. That's a recipe for high anxiety, insomnia, etc. Start with a very small amount and see how you tolerate it, then build up slowly.

NilaJones

Methylation is great, but if you aren't sleeping I think you are always going to be foggy unless you take things that make you worse in the long run. Can you do anything about the apnea?

Aerose91

i don't know about the sprays but i have been taking high doses (15 mg mthf/day + 4 mg methyl b12 injected) and it's working for me. don't know about potassium; i don't take it, i feel good without it.

How and when do u take the methyl folate if I may ask? @Freddd talks a lot about pushing through higher doses but never explains a good way to take them. Do u just swallow pills at even intervals throughout the day? Sublingual? I'm curious about that.

xena

How and when do u take the methyl folate if I may ask? @Freddd talks a lot about pushing through higher doses but never explains a good way to take them. Do u just swallow pills at even intervals throughout the day? Sublingual? I'm curious about that.
good question
i take a 5 mg pill 3x a day, around 9 am, 3 pm, and 11 pm. at first i did this bc i read mthf has a 3 hour half life or something so i figured it would be more effective
i have trouble sleeping and feel tired when i miss a dose and feel overwhelmed when i take 2 at once so i think this schedule is working for me
I swallow them

Aerose91

good question
i take a 5 mg pill 3x a day, around 9 am, 3 pm, and 11 pm. at first i did this bc i read mthf has a 3 hour half life or something so i figured it would be more effective
i have trouble sleeping and feel tired when i miss a dose and feel overwhelmed when i take 2 at once so i think this schedule is working for me
I swallow them

Do you take your methyl supps in any sort of accordance with food?

aturtles

Freddd suggests taking L-MTHF (l-methylfolate) multiple times a day because of the short time it stays in your system. My experience mirrors this, that at 4 hours without L-MTHF I start to notice its lack. Freddd also takes L-MTHF on an empty stomach (along with other supplements in the protocol such as LCF, etc.; look at the various documents floating around for specifics), but I have not found that to matter so much. I think more important is that one take it often throughout the day.

When I began the protocol, I took my L-MTHF 4x per day, breaking my day's total dose into 4 parts, which ended up being every four hours -- 8am/noon/4pm/8pm. I was very strict about the timing. I'm less rigorous about it now, but I still get it into me every 4 hours except when I'm sleeping (though if I wake up midnight, I'll sometimes take some, depending.)

L-MTHF does NOT need to be sublingual. While some people feel that adds to the effectiveness of absorption, Freddd says that studies show L-MTHF absorbs well in the stomach without any issue. My experience matches this, that L-MTHF does just fine in the stomach, so no need to sublingual it.

MeCbl (Methylcobalamin/B12) is another matter entirely. Those tabs do far better sublingually. That is an entirely different matter.

Aerose91

Freddd suggests taking L-MTHF (l-methylfolate) multiple times a day because of the short time it stays in your system. My experience mirrors this, that at 4 hours without L-MTHF I start to notice its lack. Freddd also takes L-MTHF on an empty stomach (along with other supplements in the protocol such as LCF, etc.; look at the various documents floating around for specifics), but I have not found that to matter so much. I think more important is that one take it often throughout the day.

When I began the protocol, I took my L-MTHF 4x per day, breaking my day's total dose into 4 parts, which ended up being every four hours -- 8am/noon/4pm/8pm. I was very strict about the timing. I'm less rigorous about it now, but I still get it into me every 4 hours except when I'm sleeping (though if I wake up midnight, I'll sometimes take some, depending.)

L-MTHF does NOT need to be sublingual. While some people feel that adds to the effectiveness of absorption, Freddd says that studies show L-MTHF absorbs well in the stomach without any issue. My experience matches this, that L-MTHF does just fine in the stomach, so no need to sublingual it.

MeCbl (Methylcobalamin/B12) is another matter entirely. Those tabs do far better sublingually. That is an entirely different matter.

Thank you for that post. I've read as many of Freddds documents as I can and they are so contradictory and convoluted I can't seem to piece any protocol together. A few questions, if I may:

Do you not have to take mb12 at the same time as methyl folate to avoid methyl trapping? I was under the impression that you needed a higher amount of mb12 so I assumed you needed to take them at the same time.

Since you don't take mb12 at the same time, is that taken in accordance with food? Also wondering about the timing of LCF

Thanks for any help with this

aturtles

Thank you for that post. I've read as many of Freddds documents as I can and they are so contradictory and convoluted I can't seem to piece any protocol together. A few questions, if I may:

Do you not have to take mb12 at the same time as methyl folate to avoid methyl trapping? I was under the impression that you needed a higher amount of mb12 so I assumed you needed to take them at the same time.

Since you don't take mb12 at the same time, is that taken in accordance with food? Also wondering about the timing of LCF

Thanks for any help with this

Just to be clear, I don't speak for Freddd. I've chatted with him at length and read a good number of his posts, but even so, anything I say here about him or his protocol is only my impression and interpretation.

As I see it, Freddd never set out to provide a complete system that everyone could use to solve all their problems. He set out to discover what worked, to perhaps develop some theories that would serve him and others in healing. One of the many things that makes me respect Freddd's approach is his willingness to change his strategy when different information comes along. He is willing to say "I don't know", something I rarely hear from other methylation experts. I have seen him change his approach and theories when new information comes along. For him -- and for me -- results are what matter, not proving out a specific theory or approach or set of supplementations.

The Freddd posts you're seeing that seem contradictory may be more a matter of his changing his understanding -- of the evolution of his own research and testing and what he learns from others. His posts here span many years. So I recommend you check the dates and look for what's recent. I know that's tricky, and I'm completely sympathetic to that challenge, expecially here in the forums where things are all over the place, but there it is. (For example, when I joined not quite a year ago, I relied on an out-of-date post that recommended a specific B-complex which I then started taking daily. It had 100mg B1/Thiamin and caused me a number of problems for some time until I figured out that was way too much (10x). I now limit my daily B1/Thiamin consumption to no more than 10mg, and that's been tremendously helpful. Amount matters. Sometimes a lot.)

Re: methyltrapping: I am not going to attempt to explain methyltrapping theory or how you can prevent it -- there are lots of posts kicking around about that. I can tell you what I do now, and what works for me. My own protocol has evolved, too, based on my research and experimentation. (Which is, of course, N=1. I'm learning all the time -- my most recent significant improvement was only a month ago. We're all learning here.)

I take multiple rounds of L-MTHF throughout the day, followed by MeCbl. The amount depends on what seems to be working. (With MeCbl it's not just about amount; it also depends on brand and method of absorption/digestion/injection/whatever means you use to get it into your system; see the many long discussions on how hard it is to get MeCbl into the system and keep it a sufficient and consistent level. Getting MeCbl into the system is a really hard problem that many of us are trying to solve. At the moment, I use pills and nasal spray. Previously I was using vaping and injections. Many of us are experimenting with MeCbl, but most people still rely on tabs. Some day we will have a better mechanism. I hope.. MeCbl is tricky stuff to work with.)

Re: MeCbl and L-MTHF "at the same time". I sometimes do take them together and I sometimes don't. I take a lot of both, which may cover my lack of precision, or it may not matter. My goal is to keep the MeCbl at a high, steady state.

Re: MeCbl with or without Food: I take MeCbl both ways, though it's easier to have the tabs slowly dissolve in the gum if I'm not also eating. :)

Re: LCF with or without food: I take my LCF in the morning on an empty stomach, and sometimes also in the afternoon, between meals, because Freddd once told me that works better without food. My independant research on the matter is inconclusive.

I'll tell you what I think DOES matter a great deal: taking sufficient potassium. Bodies need this stuff, and if your methylation work is effective, you'll need more of it -- quite possibly a LOT more. And throughout the day. The body goes through it fast. I take between 500mg and 1gram each round, ideally (but not always) after the L-MTHF and the MeCbl, and some before bed.

I consume potassium entirely to address deficit symptoms, not to a specific amount. Those symptoms for me are: brainfog, a sudden tired, and a heavy heartbeat -- all at once. These three together is my signal to take more. If there's anything to be worried about not doing enough of, it's potassium. (Fear of potassium is more of a danger than taking too much potassium; if your kidneys are healthy it is nearly impossible to overdose on it. ) My sources are Now Foods brand Potassium Gluconate (powder, 1lb) and Potassium Citrate (tabs.)

Hope this helps.