• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My IL-8 is 1822 (avg 1-15). Does that mean I'm going to explode?

Folk

Hey could you give me a hand with my test results?
I'm specially concerned about the huge giant IL-8 and the mold results.
Thaanks :)

Attachments

• result6.jpg
    result6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • result7.jpg
    result7.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35

msf

Hi Folk, mine was only 100-odd, but if you join the KDM group I'm sure you will find others with similar levels and results.

A.B.

Are the people with abnormal IL-8 results patients of de Meirleir or using the same lab as de Meirleir?

Vojta

Just by that borderline?
Yes, it's usually more than enough. Many people with late stage lyme don't have clearly positive results. It can turn more positive after antibiotic protocol though. Anyway according to KDM you will definitely get late stage lyme diagnosis.

msf

Well, I think KDM will suspect Lyme, with the Il-8 result and the IgA positive for Cpn, but Il-8 itself is non-specific.

Thinktank

Your IL-8 is elevated but not extremely.
Mine was around 1100 pre-treatment but crept up to over 20k during treatment with abx.

Are you currently undergoing treatment?

Folk

Your IL-8 is elevated but not extremely.
Mine was around 1100 pre-treatment but crept up to over 20k during treatment with abx.

Are you currently undergoing treatment?

No not yet.
Is your treatment over or something?

Folk

I believe @Jonathan Edwards would say that those test results are unreliable.

Yes, I won't take abx for a borderline result anyway. I did a Igenex too, which came mostly negative and one borderline with the comments "probably don't have lyme" or something... So, we are suposed to trust Igenex, aren't we?

And I'll try to get retested for Cytokines with other lab.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I have had a quick look through the literature and it seems that in published studies IL-8 levels can vary from 10 to 10,000 whether or not there is infection. I have no idea what this can mean in terms of how the cytokine is regulated but it almost certainly means that IL-8 is pretty useless as a measure of infection. It looks to me as if there is no well documented situation where IL-8 is a reliable test for infection so I would personally ignore it if it was my result.

msf

I just want to point out that it was me who brought up the issue of infection in connection to IL-8, not KDM. From what I have read, this is a non-specific marker of inflammatory processes.

Folk

I have had a quick look through the literature and it seems that in published studies IL-8 levels can vary from 10 to 10,000 whether or not there is infection. I have no idea what this can mean in terms of how the cytokine is regulated but it almost certainly means that IL-8 is pretty useless as a measure of infection. It looks to me as if there is no well documented situation where IL-8 is a reliable test for infection so I would personally ignore it if it was my result.

Thank you for your answer.
I will certainly ignore it as a infection marker
But is it as unreliable when we talk about inflamation too?

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Thank you for your answer.
I will certainly ignore it as a infection marker
But is it as unreliable when we talk about inflamation too?

With that range I find it hard to see how one can interpret it usefully but I may be wrong. If you want to know if there is inflammation I think a C reactive protein level would be much more reliable - especially if there is a series of results. I never used IL-8 as a marker of inflammation when I was in practice.

Folk

With that range I find it hard to see how one can interpret it usefully but I may be wrong. If you want to know if there is inflammation I think a C reactive protein level would be much more reliable - especially if there is a series of results. I never used IL-8 as a marker of inflammation when I was in practice.

Yeah, never had a C recative protein higher than normal in more than a hundred tests probably hehe

I just thought there was some other kinds of inflamation and ways to measure it perhaps.

Thanks!