• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lymphotcite count

trickthefox

Forgive me if this has already been a thread but it would be good to gather some data

For those of you who know, do your lymphocyte levels always come back on the lower end of normal, and occasionally outside of range? Is this a common diagnostic marker in CFS or is it more common of something else?

For me every time since i've been sick (6 years ago) my lymphocytes have either been on the very lowest side of normal, or below it. Doctors usually dismiss it, but just wandering if this is a piece of the puzzle

Thanks!

Ren

Mij

I've only had my lymphocytes (CD4 CD8 etc) tested twice, once at the beginning of illness (all in normal range) and another time 12yrs later where they all went below normal range. I was tested for various viruses by PCR but nothing came back positive so my doctor left it at that.

My WBC on the other hand fluctuates quite a bit, from below normal to normal within a month so I'm not worried about these results.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
For those of you who know, do your lymphocyte levels always come back on the lower end of normal, and occasionally outside of range? Is this a common diagnostic marker in CFS or is it more common of something else?
I've also wondered if pwME tend to have lower levels than the population as a whole. A lot of people on PR seem to report low counts but perhaps that's just because they see that they are outside range and then start to worry.

I don't know if reference ranges vary between labs in the UK or if a countrywide standard is used. The lower end of the range on my lab tests has always been 1400 per microlitre and I've always been on the cusp or below that, lowest 1140. I was never tested pre illness, so have no idea if I just have a naturally low count.

I think that your doctor would only become concerned if your count went below 1000 per microlitre.

My doctors have never mentioned my low counts to me and I've never discussed it with them but I'm sure it hasn't escaped their notice. (I hope!)

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Most of the people i have read on here say their lymphocytes are elevated. There seems to be a good mix of both.

just generalizing but high lymphocytes can indicate fighting some sort of infection and those with low lymphocytes probably some type of immune exhaustion or deficiency ? ?

Mij

just generalizing but high lymphocytes can indicate fighting some sort of infection and those with low lymphocytes probably some type of immune exhaustion or deficiency ? ?

SOC had a thread and we all came away with the same conclusion.

I have a friend who suffers with many allergies (no CFS) and her lymphocytes have been below normal- lower than mine. So it seems it's an immune problem for those with low counts. I do feel a lot worse during allergy season starting in April, and then a viral infection will start up. It happens almost every year like clock work.