• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Journal-Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy

Yesterday I had a day of exhaustion. I had slept great the night before and sometimes when that happens, the next day I am beat.

I have been taking Yucca for the sulfur and ammonia, but I can't seem (I think to handle the molybdenum.) I took it yesterday. Last night I could not sleep at all. I stuck to my normal protocol except added in the Moly.

One thing I am noticing is a much faster heartbeat since starting all of this. Last night in bed I was unable to get comfortable. My heart, I could feel throughout my body.

I had decided, per everyone's advice to do B12-hydroxy every other day. Today I took it (after no sleep) and felt wired. I didn't have the same mental clarity as when I took it the other day. Mind you, I am only taking 125 mcg. My brain started to open right up, but some anxiety came on in, or perhaps a wired feeling.

I think if I remember correctly, one should probably not take anything if having a bad day and just starting? I believe I read that in Caledonia's journal-or document...go slow and low.

My heart is going today and it was yesterday, too. Could I be going too fast with this or perhaps it's just because it's been a bad few days? Not sure. Do I add in potassium more?

I am wondering why my heart is moving.....

I need to add this-I started taking Depakote for anxiety the other day. I have been so sick and anxious since having wrist surgery and just all that keeps going on and going wrong that I have been seeing a psychiatrist. The Depakote makes me tired, but I feel much better regarding the anxiety. I read that Depakote can cause more ammonia, but to be honest...I would rather have that than be so anxious. It's a toss of the dice.

Critterina

@Misfit Toy

It's so hard to tell when you change three things at once: was it the molybdenum? the Depakote? the HB12? Is it a few bad days? Is it a change in the air pressure/weather? If you haven't been taking the yucca every day, and then you did - is it the yucca? There are a million variables, even if you try to change only one thing at a time.

Sorry, but this is going to take a while. If you were taking notes (before we all suggested that you take notes, of course), you might have noticed when your heart started racing, and that might (and might not) help you pinpoint what caused it. So, I guess pulse and anxiety level are going to be two things on your daily notes. You might make a list of what to write down each day.

For me, not that what applies to me applies to you: yes, potassium does appear to help with elevated pulse and blood pressure. Co-Q10 also makes my heart race. I suspected that, but I did a test with the pulse app on my phone when they were giving samples at Costco. I was at 70, drank the Co-Q10, immediately measured my pulse at 80. Then got in line to check out, and measured it again at 88. If you have a smart phone, you might look for a pulse app. It was very nice to confirm it was the Co-Q10 for me. It might be possible in the same way to pinpoint the cause for you.

Crit

Misfit Toy

@Critterina -I appreciate your honest answer. It also could be the fact that I baked an apple pie yesterday and enjoyed a few pieces...sugar..something I try to avoid. But, can I just say it was and is the best apple pie I have ever made and damn, it was hard to resist.

And then there is the humid, damp and rainy weather that seems to be hanging out...everyday.

I keep making a mistake based on denial. I am taking Yucca at 1/2 capsule per meal. To me, I just would never think that would possibly be it. It seems so benign...and that's how I am somewhat feeling about all of this. I say that because years ago I could handle so many supplements.

It makes no sense to me to not be able to handle a crumb of something now, but I am much sicker now and I need to really realize that. I do, but don't at the same time.

Writing things down....

Yes, it is going to take a while and I may become more ill in trying to figure it out..a hard one to realize.

Critterina

DENIAL - it's not a river in Egypt anymore!

I am laughing in sympathy with you. I did a 3-day fast June 22-25, only about 10 days ago, and made smoked salmon yesterday. I woke up today unable to breathe without struggling. I was needing my albuterol (rescue inhaler), my Afrin (open my nasal passages), and 20 mg of prednisone (the first of three doses today), and actually coughing up some of the congestion in my lungs - that wasn't there at all yesterday. Stupid, stupid, delicious salmon. But I didn't want to get out of bed. So I know about your apple pie. (To me this is not so much denial, but thinking that I really need gut rebuilding to the point that I have correct BMs before the next fast. But there have been times.)

Oh, but I also didn't know how sick I really was. Once I did the elimination diet (end of 2012, a year into my histamine intolerance), I got a new doctor (Jan 2013) and told him that I'd had a tough year, but I thought there was nothing much wrong with me. I was about 85-90% then, I thought. So wrong! I was muscle wasting, I was starting into adrenal insufficiency, starting the slide to "none detected" of my sex hormones, and I didn't know the words "histamine intolerance" and so couldn't really avoid all the things that made me sick.

Yes, you are right, some of the things you try may make you sicker before you get better. If you ever practiced yoga, you know that the body you show up in today is not the same body with the same capabilities you showed up in yesterday. You just have to explore each day to see what you can do, and try to accept that without comparison to what you could do yesterday. Some days you will be more capable, some days less. You really only have the one day that exists - today.

A friend once told me that denial is an acronym. It stands for Don't Even (k)Now I Am Lying. Don't worry, we all have been there. Once your eyes are opened, you see that the truth gives you the power to make better choices, because then you start to be able to tell a good choice from a bad choice. So pardon me while I go wrap up that salmon for the freezer. Maybe I'll give it away; maybe I'll save it for a test case after I fast again...after I have done a thorough gut rebuilding.

Magnesium helps a lot and getting the right potassium/magnesium balance. One thing's for sure, MB12 or hydroxy definitely causes heart 'bother' for me. As do a lot of supplements to be fair, CoQ10 and numerous other things...

Misfit Toy

@sunking101 -yeah, I m starting to wonder if I was better on MethylB12. This is such a low dose and it's a major heart pumper...the hydroxy. It's what I should be on as what my 23 tests say...but man, who knows...my heart started pumping harder after taking it.

We shall see.

@Critterina -what an awful response. I love smoked salmon, but yes..that would also act up things for me, too.

I find the gut a black hole. I have celiac and milk allergies along with soy, pears, tomato, etc. So many allergies. I avoid all of those foods, but no diet has worked for me. And the food preperation is too much work. It's too much work for well people let alone those who are sick. The GAPS diet, fodmap-or whatever it's called. I do a paleo diet to some extent and eat gluten free. i am either constipated or like today...my bowels moved twice which is rare.

If I eat anything or do anything of pleasure, it makes me sick.

I did an antihistamine diet for 4 years and when I quit it, my allergies to foods were worse. All of the foods that I was able to eat I could no longer eat at all after stopping foods with high histamine. That's when I said F diets.

The yeast free diet did work well for a spell and then something happened and it stopped working. I think the gut is a factor for other reasons.

When my hormones started changing back in 2008 and I was in perimeno...my gut went nuts. Suddenly foods were the enemy. I became allergic to everything. So, it's the gut, but it's other things that cause the gut to just "change" on us.

I am tired of chasing the gut. I take probiotics, I do charcoal and bentonite clay here and there and I eat gluten and milk free. But I refuse to spend my life around food and what to avoid constantly and all of the food preparation that goes into it, which I have zero energy for. It's absolutely exhausting and makes me mentally come undone.

I have MCAS and believe that that's a lot of it. I have an autoimmune disease along with a primary immune deficiency and IGA deficiency...and with that one in particular..there is no fixing an IGA deficiency which causes reactions to foods.

I mostly have it under control. But...my weakness is sugar. I am addicted. Never used to be but over the past 5 years, I love sugar.

I hope you feel better and that the prednisone kicks it. Pred can go either way for me. It makes me nuts, but can be a lifesaver.

Critterina

@Misfit Toy ,

Thanks, I'm doing better. I was talking to a cousin today, who also gave up on the special diet approach. I find the diet very limiting, almost impossible while traveling, but otherwise I just can't breath. The fasting really set me straight in the past. I think it was maybe old fish. I had been able to use turkey lunch meat since my first fast, so overall I'm improved. I am also eating stone fruits without reacting. It was just the fish that must have been histamine city.

Misfit Toy

@Critterina -I took a break today. So listen to this...I have not been able to breathe right for the past couple of nights. I started taking Depakote for anxiety. It's a medicine that I used to take and was fine on....years later-now-I am not.

I took it tonight and right away my heart started pounding. I have been thinking it's methylation, but it's this.

I have labored breathing and I can't sleep right because I can't get my breath. I am scared, but this will pass, the bigger thing I am feeling is absolute disappointment because this has been helping my anxiety so much. I have not had the huge anxiety drop and shifts I was having. I am not bipolar, I just can't tolerate many meds and this was one I could tolerate.

I am so sick of my body. I just want to take something and not have some crazy reaction. I could take this fine for years. I can't take benadryl, as that would just make it worse. I am going to try and drink some green tea and hope I flush it out.....

UGH. Dumb body.

Critterina

@Misfit Toy ,

I know the feeling: the times that if my body were a car, I would be shopping for a replacement. Seriously!

But you have one BRILLIANT piece of data there: the Depakote is a problem. There's a part of throwing away what you once knew to be true about yourself, and that's a downer. But now you can avoid the breathing trouble, and that in itself should relieve a little of the anxiety. And without the Depakote, you can get an honest read on the methylation supplements.

Do you practice any kind of meditation, focus on your calming breath, centering, yoga, or praying? All of those are known to give some relief from anxiety. And maybe that can tide you over for a time.

I think you were probably very wise in taking a day off. And you learned this important thing about Depakote. This whole process is a marathon, though, not a sprint, not a relay. You made good progress today. There will be much more progress to be made, but leave that for another day. It's these little building blocks, each one a monumental effort in itself, that you are going to build your wellness on. Congratulations on knowing one thing more today than you did yesterday!

If you don't feel over the Depakote tomorrow, maybe take another day off? I do hope the green tea helps you - it would keep me awake all night. Besides, all green and black teas have histamines, and I am judicious in my use of histamines these days.

Best wishes for learning something every day or two! You are on the right track!

Critterina

Misfit Toy

Hey Critter! I love that...critter. @Critterina -but it's been helping my anxiety! So, I'm pissed. :bang-head: But I guess if I can't breathe, that's a problem.

I think I will skip B12 today/tomorrow because I won't sleep well tonight. Trying the breathing...I miss my meditation yoga. It's far away from me but it was so great. But now it's just too far for me to drive. Everywhere around here, they burn incense during yoga and meditation. Incense makes me sick.

This green tea has no caffeine. I've been pretty ok with it.

I've also been thinking about your salmon. Salmon has nitrates in it if it's smoked-correct? I've been thinking about that because anything that's smoked bothers me and causes a histamine response.

I had to take Prilosec and Zyrtec because the Depakote is causing a histamine response.

Thank you for your insight!

Now what to do about the anxiety...:wide-eyed:

Gondwanaland

My breathlessness was low T3, and was aggravated by Levothyroxine since I wasn't converting T4 into T3. Do you have thyroid issues?

Misfit Toy

@Critterina -had the depakote reaction and still took the B12 this am. I feel okay. I feel tired, but took it anyway. I slept last night so knew I would more than likely have a better reaction. I can't take anything on nights where I don't sleep as the next day, I will somewhat a mess.

It was a chip of B12, but at least 100 mcg...so that's something. Plus, I ordered that supplement you recommended that is 10 mcg a drop. You posted it on my other thread about molybdenum. I like the fact that it's lower dose and I will be able to take it throughout day. Haven't received it yet.

One more thing...I am taking Molybdenum from Patricia Kane's balanced electrolyte amino acid formula. 75 mg are in there.

Critterina

I thought it's only black tea, since it's fermented??:confused: Even when I was drinking 3 litres green tea/day, I didn't have histamine reactions.

Hmmm, you know, I didn't test the green tea. Good to challenge me on that! Some foods are naturally high in histamines, and I just thought that was the case with the Camillia sinensis that they make both teas from. I could be wrong. But considering I'm up 6 lbs from the reaction to the salmon (hopefully it will be over today!) I'm not up to testing it today.

Last edited: