• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Questions for Cholestyramine users

ebethc

If you've tried cholestyramine AND it worked for you:

1. How long did it take for you to notice a POSITIVE difference?

2. How many weeks or months did you use it?

3. How frequently do you go back for another round (if at all)?

thanks.

*GG*

Yes, continually on it. My Dr does the VCS test and I am supposedly still toxic, Dr Shoemaker was also big on CSM and Visual Contrast test?

I had high levels of mercury aroun 2009, had it retested about 1 year later. Levels came back much lower. So it could depend upon what you are trying to detox?

GG

1. How long did it take for you to notice a POSITIVE difference?

It took two months of TID-QID dosing (4g CSM) to pass the VCS test.

2. How many weeks or months did you use it?

Seven months. Still on it. I changed from compounded to normal (with aspartame) after four months due to cost.

3. How frequently do you go back for another round (if at all)?

I go back and forth passing the VCS so I'm continuing full dose. For most long term ME/CFS I would imagine six to twelve months, but sometimes longer, would be expected.

student

Choly beginner. I am the greenhorn.
I had used Chlorella binders (Klinghardt. daily 80 small) before this. But I dought that they brought mold out.
1. Can not tell. – It is my 7th day using 4x dayly 4 g Choly. Iam still brushing my mouth 2x daily, with 1/ 10 of the package. Bevore taking Choly 30min befor the meals. I take poop softeners now in order to not constipate in this first week. (I have gained much benefit from other things: Resistant starch. I was 6 weeks away – from the mold house. I am slowly making progress - with lowering mold load. Room by room. I started myrrhe nasal - plus I block my nose of the whole day.- These things changed a lot for a start.)
2. this first week - only. And I see my doctor to get perscription for the next 20 days.
3. Plans are to use it 3- 4 weeks every 3 mounth now.
My choly. start was – on a 3 days trip to a (semi) safe place. I read Lisas start-up story to prepare my Choly use. First 5 times – I was very cautios. So I used up to 2 g – to get my throught clean (up to 40% material every time). Brushing thees with Choly. Gurgel with Choly-water – like what I did with the „oil drawing“. Also in the head down positions. Yes I had some of the strong mouth reaktions- and I spitted out quite a bit. I felt that slowly I will get used to this material. Than I felt more safe to swallow – and there was no vomiting. I used Oil. I had not eaten (on fasting) and drank a lot of (3 L) water. It was stressfull. But this way everything went well. Appart from constipation for 3 days. I went out, was aktive and did my daily duties. I would do it again.

regards student

update. Yes on day 8: My tomie is swolen. Some poo came out. But I do not feel well and little unsafe. So this time I pause with the Cholestyramine.

Last edited:

Forebearance

Be sure to eat a lot of healthy, natural fats, student. That will help replace the fats that cholestyramine carries out, and will help with constipation.

student

The first day &night - I feel little better. I could eaven go out to a group meating for this evening.
So I will pause and trie to get much Cholyst. out of the system.
Yes, the direction with oil and fat helped me. Thanks.

Last edited:

xrayspex

hey does anyone know of a place to get cholestryamine without a prescription? I would like to try it--a friend gave me some but it has aspartame and that stuff gives me bad side effects so can t use it . Aspartame will cause headaches rashes depression --back when I drank the new diet pepsi around 1983-before had cfs when diet soda changed to it in early 80s--I noticed that. Was one of first obvious MCS experiences.--anyway, sad they had to a lot of cholestyramine with nutrasweet--can ya get it without that?

ebethc

hey does anyone know of a place to get cholestryamine without a prescription? I would like to try it--a friend gave me some but it has aspartame and that stuff gives me bad side effects so can t use it . Aspartame will cause headaches rashes depression --back when I drank the new diet pepsi around 1983-before had cfs when diet soda changed to it in early 80s--I noticed that. Was one of first obvious MCS experiences.--anyway, sad they had to a lot of cholestyramine with nutrasweet--can ya get it without that?

no idea where to get cholestyramine w/o a rx, BUT there are some natural alternatives... Chlorella or plant sterols are the ones I've heard of ... plant sterols didn't agree w me.. sorry, can't remember why...Here's one product

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Encapsulations-CholestePure-Supplement-Metabolism/dp/B0015VJC34?th=1

Jesse2233

Has anyone seen significant, sustained improvement from cholestyramine?

I know it's central to the Shoemaker protocol, and, though I'd like to, I haven't been able to find any glowing reviews