• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has Anyone found a good natural Ammonia Scavenger?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I am looking for something natural that is a good Ammonia scavenger. So far the only available thing I have been able to find is Sodium Benzoate. Sodium Benzoate is a preservative that has a cancer risk. Is there anything else someone can get without a prescription?

ahmo

@Mya Symons Also malic acid. See this thread:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/new-inexpensive-cbs-ammonia-fix.31835/

I'm now following Martin Pall's suggestions re scavengers for peroxynitrite. I've given up trying to understand the biochemical distinctions between these 2. In my body, they seem to act the same. (ammonia/peroxy). You'll find his list in the 2 links to him in my signature. The vid seems to have more recent additions, in last 20" of presentation. Slide form, so you can copy them out. Antioxidants is the short answer. 've been consuming large amounts of carrots during this period of detox. As well as others of his antiox list. I can feel them working.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
@Mya Symons Also malic acid. See this thread:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/new-inexpensive-cbs-ammonia-fix.31835/

I'm now following Martin Pall's suggestions re scavengers for peroxynitrite. I've given up trying to understand the biochemical distinctions between these 2. In my body, they seem to act the same. (ammonia/peroxy). You'll find his list in the 2 links to him in my signature. The vid seems to have more recent additions, in last 20" of presentation. Slide form, so you can copy them out. Antioxidants is the short answer. 've been consuming large amounts of carrots during this period of detox. As well as others of his antiox list. I can feel them working.

Thank you.

adreno

PR activist
Alpha ketoglutarate (AKG). Combined with ornithine (OKG), as Ema mentioned, might be even more effective. OKG is vastly more expensive than AKG, though.

Wayne

I am looking for something natural that is a good Ammonia scavenger.
Hi @Mya Symoms,

If you're concerned about ammonia, I would definitely check out the website of Dr. David Jernigan. He runs a clinic in Kansas which focuses on Lyme, which he believes creates excess ammonia and causes many of the symptoms of serious neurological diseases. I recall he claims to have formulated some very effective remedies to reduce ammonia levels. Here's a LINK to his website. Below is a snippet from his website:

If you have Lyme disease, MS, ALS, Parkinson's, Autism, Alzheimer's, and other chronic conditions, you definitely have ammonia accumulating in your brain and body.

As the discoverer that Lyme spirochetes cause the accumulation of ammonia it is very validating to me that other scientists and physicians have confirmed the finding.

Although many people have heard of Leaky Bowel Syndrome (LBS), few have heard of Leaky Brain Syndrome. I coined this term when I became aware of the damaging effects on the blood-brain barrier (BBB) from the accumulation of Lyme-induced ammonia in the brain. Ammonia in the brain is a primary cause of neurological and psychological hypersensitivity.

Ammonia in the brain alters the permeability of the BBB enabling larger molecules to cross, such as common amino-acids that normally would not be able to cross the blood-brain-barrier. When these random molecules touch the brain tissues they set up neuro-inflammation, hyper-reactivity and hypersensitivities to stimuli, such as environmental scents, chemical toxins, mycotoxins, metabolic products, emotions, and even changes in barometric pressure, moon phases, and geopathic stressors. Many people with these issues feel that they suffer from cerebral allergies, but cannot pin any one cause down.​

Gondwanaland

Glutamine breaks down to ammonia, so that's hard to believe.
http://www.aminoacid-studies.com/amino-acids/glutamine-and-glutamic-acid.html
Glutamine plays a decisive role in keeping a balanced acid-base ratio. Thanks to glutamine, toxic ammonia is separated off in the kidneys and the basic ammonia molecule is connected to acids and is excreted. A further advantage is that bicarbonate which is necessary for the neutralization of acids can be saved.
During the synthesis from glutamine to glutamic acids, the brain is protected from the toxic effects of ammonia. This protection against the cell toxin prevents impediments to brain functions and improves long and short term memory.
I have also read other people here benefitting form it.

When I was taking glutamine I felt the most clear minded I can possibly be (like in my MB12 honeymoon). I had to stop because I became anemic - glutamine promotes cell proliferation - RBC and WBC go way up - and since I was supplementing zinc w/o copper my RBC went down.

Right now I am taking whey and the high lysine content helps immensely, but not as much as glutamine. I am waiting for my RBC to normalize again before going back to glutamine.

My husband was also supplementing zinc w/o copper and tried glutamine. That made him bedridden for most part of the days. So glutamine with zinc isn't a good match.

adreno

PR activist
This article highlights evidence that, at elevated levels, glutamine is indeed a noxious agent. We also propose a mechanism by which glutamine executes its toxic effects in astrocytes, the "Trojan horse" hypothesis. Much of the newly synthesized glutamine is subsequently metabolized in mitochondria by phosphate-activated glutaminase, yielding glutamate and ammonia. In this manner, glutamine (the Trojan horse) is transported in excess from the cytoplasm to mitochondria serving as a carrier of ammonia. We propose that it is the glutamine-derived ammonia within mitochondria that interferes with mitochondrial function giving rise to excessive production of free radicals and induction of the MPT, two phenomena known to bring about astrocyte dysfunction, including cell swelling.
Glutamine: a Trojan horse in ammonia neurotoxicity. - PubMed - NCBI http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17006913

adreno

PR activist
You won't know if you benefit from it unless you try it, and I wouldn't take more than 1g /daily anyway.
I'm not going to try something that is known to make the problem worse. Ammonia is detoxified by glutamine synthetase, which converts glutamate and ammonia into glutamine:

Glutamine synthetase (GS) in brain is located mainly in astrocytes. One of the primary roles of astrocytes is to protect neurons against excitotoxicity by taking up excess ammonia and glutamate and converting it into glutamine via the enzyme GS.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12020613

And hyperammonia is associated with excess glutamine:

In the brain, glutamine synthesis is largely confined to astrocytes, and it is generally accepted that in hyperammonemia excess glutamine compromises astrocyte morphology and function.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20880508