• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Novel Drug Improves Sleep And Pain Scores In Fibromyalgia Patients

Kati

Patient in training
Novel Drug Improves Sleep And Pain Scores In Fibromyalgia Patients

During the European League Against Rheumatism Annual European Congress of Rheumatology held in Rome, researchers presented data showing sublingual TNX-102 SL improved sleep quality and other fibromyalgia symptoms. The study entitled “TNX-102 SL for the Treatment of Fibromyalgia: Role of Nonrestorative Sleep on Pain Centralization” was presented by S. Lederman from Tonix Pharmaceuticals, New York, USA... Read more at http://fibromyalgianewstoday.com/2015/06/24/novel-drug-improves-sleep-pain-scores-fibromyalgia-patients/

Link to paper abstract was not working yet. It sounds promising

Ema

The difference here is the very low dose of 2.8 mg vs the much larger typical dose given for back pain that can easily cause significant sedation.

I actually had pretty good luck with taking 5 mg of Flexeril at bedtime to try to help with Stage 4 sleep. I'm not sure why I stopped now!

ETA: Are they just calling it a novel drug because it is administered sublingually?

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Even half dose drugged me out and I mean the entire next day. Nasty stuff for me.

I would think sublingual would be worse In that reguard.

@jimells I'm with you on that.

(I hate autocorrect).

jimells

Are they just calling it a novel drug because it is administered sublingually?

There seems to be more and more drug patents based on repackaging and combining existing medications. It's much cheaper and lower risk than looking for new ones. The financial parasites are slowly killing the host. Fools.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I would think sublingual would be worse In that reguard.
Maybe the sublingual gets into your system faster, then out of your system faster so that you have fewer side effects by morning.

I seem to be the minority here, but I have little problem with flexiril. At one time I was taking three 10 mg. doses/day plus pain meds and was awake and fairly alert most of the day.

I have been taking 10 mg at bedtime with no problem. I recently switched it to the morning so I could take something I like better for sleep at bedtime and am still having no problems.

xrayspex

Maybe the sublingual gets into your system faster, then out of your system faster so that you have fewer side effects by morning.

I seem to be the minority here, but I have little problem with flexiril. At one time I was taking three 10 mg. doses/day plus pain meds and was awake and fairly alert most of the day.

I have been taking 10 mg at bedtime with no problem. I recently switched it to the morning so I could take something I like better for sleep at bedtime and am still having no problems.
I use crumb of flexeril when get in stubborn flare that nothing else can get at (relating to my cervical spine issues which relates often to CFS too)
it can be very helpful, but i can only tolerate it very briefly in small amount because it can then start to cause worse air hunger and intracranial hypertension-feeling when I lie down and insomnia...very bizarre, but have been experimenting with it for 8 years and pretty consistent. When i first tried it when I got it like in 09 or '10 I took like a half a dose and I thought I was going to need to call an ambulance.....just about fainted and felt like couldnt get up seeing stars etc after it kicked in. My b/p runs super low so always risky.

I am curious if others who take low dose have experience strange things too?

Little Bluestem

@xrayspex, I quit taking flexeril because I did not find it very effective. I think it also proved to be a little sedating when taken in the morning. Can your doctor really not come up with anything that that will help without causing all of those negative side effects?

xrayspex

@xrayspex, I quit taking flexeril because I did not find it very effective. I think it also proved to be a little sedating when taken in the morning. Can your doctor really not come up with anything that that will help without causing all of those negative side effects?
thanks, well if I could think of something I haven't tried over the years they probably might...only thing I could tolerate that was pretty helpful was propoxyphene so of course it got taken off the market in 2010....was too old, can't make any money off it anymore...and only old folks and lightweights like me used it....it was easy on the p45o cytochrome system........

I also have some old baclofen that like flexeril I would take a crumb a now and then a couple times a year to try to snap out of stubborn horrible pain flare, it can work, but its really risky to put my mood in the toilet for weeks just after one day...melatonin was like that on my mood too...anyway flexeril doesn't mess with my mood...at super low doses it initially makes me more stimulated but after I stop taking it there is backlash of brain fog

Little Bluestem

I am having good luck with a non-prescription pain reliever I get at the health store. However I do not have severe pain. It is called Curamin by Terry Naturally. I take the regular, but they make a double strength. I also take it every day, 3 times/day. If I miss even 1 dose, I sometimes notice. You might be able to use a stronger drug to reduce the pain, then use this too keep it down.

xrayspex

I am having good luck with a non-prescription pain reliever I get at the health store. However I do not have severe pain. It is called Curamin by Terry Naturally. I take the regular, but they make a double strength. I also take it every day, 3 times/day. If I miss even 1 dose, I sometimes notice. You might be able to use a stronger drug to reduce the pain, then use this too keep it down.
thanks will look into that, sometimes I put curcumin in my smoothies