• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

uBiome announce launch of 'citizen microbiome study portal' to crowdsource research

Sasha

Fine, thank you
uBiome want people to suggest projects in which people with particular diseases send in faecal samples and they look for communalities (as I understand it) or to better understand the disease. I wonder if this would be an opportunity to have PWME fill in a symptom questionnaire and/or onset-type questionnaire, etc. and do a correlational study of some sort.

There's a commercial gain to uBiome, I assume (I can't see that they're a nonprofit) if people send samples. If I was going to spend that money on microbiome research I'd spend it on Columbia or IiME's gut project but if I wanted my own microbiome sampled (and uBiome have done that in the past for me) I'd want an ME project on the go.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/06/prweb12811750.htm?mc_cid=632816b378&mc_eid=4eb5c15eb3

uBiome said:
uBiome Launches Studies Portal to Support Microbiome Research
Aims to support citizen science opportunities in microbiome research, on a wide range of topics including aging, autoimmune disease, and probiotics.
gI_82401_uBiome-Logo.png

uBiome logo

release-topquote.gif
"The uBiome Studies Portal will help research go faster and allow our community to have a real impact on causes they deeply care about." --Jessica Richman
release-bottomquote.gif

San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) June 25, 2015

uBiome, Inc. has announced the launch of the uBiome Studies Portal to support citizen science opportunities in microbiome research, on a wide range of topics including aging, autoimmune disease, and probiotics.

uBiome is a microbiome sequencing service that made history with a record-breaking campaign to sequence the human microbiome. Raising over $350,000 from over 2,500 participants in 2013, the biotech startup sparked the era of microbiome-based personalized medicine -- engaging with the public to provide easily accessible information about their own bodies using the latest in high-throughput DNA sequencing technology.

In response to overwhelming interest from people who want to explore questions about the microbiome, uBiome launched their new Studies Portal. Researchers and citizen scientists with an interest in the microbiome can suggest a study and uBiome will aim to announce a new study every week. Results of the studies will be published in scientific journals and on the uBiome blog.

Citizen science, which is the collaboration between professional scientists and members of the public, allows rapid collaboration on large-scale research questions and translation of the results to practice. According to Jessica Richman, CEO and co-founder of uBiome, “We are excited to announce this new opportunity for citizen scientists to participate in developing new microbiome studies. The uBiome Studies Portal will help research go faster and allow our community to have a real impact on causes they deeply care about.”

Participants can join a study by supplying a sample of their microbiome using uBiome’s self- sampling kit, which uses a swab and takes less than 2 minutes. Once the sample is received, uBiome will identify the bacteria using cutting-edge, next generation DNA sequencing technology. uBiome will offer discounted kits to anyone who participates in a study, and sometimes free kits for studies where uBiome is working with a research partner.

For example, people with inflammatory bowel disease can join a free uBiome IBD study to help understand the role of the gut microbiome in this disease. In one such study, participants provide medical records from their GI doctors to create a single, aggregated medical record that can be securely accessed. Results from the study will be used to advance IBD research.

Scientific research in the 21st century has seen great strides in collaborative practices, with professional scientists and amateurs working together on large-scale research questions. According to Jessica Richman, "We want to make the science available to everyone. Now, anyone can suggest a microbiome study through the uBiome Studies Portal."

To participate in a study by contributing your microbiome, help organize a study, or spread the word and watch findings as they come out, visit http://ubiome.com/pages/allstudies

uBiome provides current research participants with a catalog of their own microbes; detailing the microbial composition of each sample, what is known about each type of microbe, and the latest scientific research on the role of the microbiome in health, diet, and lifestyle. uBiome aims to empower participants to manage their microbiomes to improve their health. By joining uBiome, citizen scientists can suggest studies, explore their own microbiome, and be partners in the process of scientific discovery.

If you would like more information about this topic, or to schedule an interview, call uBiome at +1 415-691-7291 or email alexandra(at)ubiome(dot)com

adreno

PR activist
So people send in samples, but who does the actual research? I can suggest a study and then get access to the samples? Or how does this work?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
So people send in samples, but who does the actual research? I can suggest a study and then get access to the samples? Or how does this work?

My impression is that uBiome does the research but I'd hope there's room for input into the variables that would be collected and the analyses that would be done.

There's an email address at the bottom there for questions.

Here's an example they give of an ongoing project (note the free 50 kits they're offering):

http://ubiome.com/pages/pregnancy