• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: Do you have pain in the neck/shoulders/spine

Do you get pain in the spine and between shoulder blade.

• Total voters

*GG*

Oh yeah, that is where most of pain is. Does it indicate something? I have a Fibromyalgia diagnosis. FYI

GG

ahmo

Interesting timing of this poll for me. I've just stopped having persistent tightness in left shoulder blade. It's my weaker arm. But in the 2 weeks since I completed a 3-day water fast, it's been different. I used to lie with a ball beneath it every night, to relax it. Then I noticed it had been days since I'd felt the need.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140605141507.htm
Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system

Seven7

Seven
the Issu is that I have noticed people commenting on the pain in an specific area and I do not believe in coincidences so it must mean soemthing. In refered pain I think might be gut pain but it depends on the side.

PennyIA

I had recurring pain between my shoulder blades for many years. Chiropractic treatment helped, but it would always come back. It got worse and worse. After many years and a few too many trips to the ER during the last one (still undiagnosed) - it turned out to be referred gall bladder pain. I've had the pain twice since my gall bladder was removed and acupuncture was the only thing that helped (and it always helped right away) - per them it's still referred pain; but the body just keeps channelling the same signal along the pathway even after it was removed.

So, I'd agree, it's probably referred pain from some area of the digestive process.

GONZ0hunter

I have the pain in between my shoulder blade, also gall bladder out. I think it's myofacial pain in my case. You can feel a knot and the injections work well

My experience is the pain is from poor posture. I've done kinseotape, dry needling, myofacial injections, pain crime, stretches, laying a rolled up towel and head tractions.

Gondwanaland

I am having lymph clogging in the neck lately, plus shoulder pain from sleeping on the side (both sides, usually right side worse) for years now. The pain disappears when I am taking stuff that works for some time then comes back. Things that resolved the pain temporarily were MeB12 and magnesium. So it is liver. It gets worse when I eat too much oxalates.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
My spinal pain disappeared whilst I was on IV abx, I just thought it was because the weather had got warmer, not so.

out2lunch

My pain is in the coat hanger area of my upper back, including my neck. Myofascial trigger point massage helps the best, but the relief doesn't last. Far infrared heat also helps, but is also temporary.

I've also had mild sensory numbness between my shoulder blades for as long as I can remember. If I get an itch in that region, and I use one of those little back scratcher rakes for relief, it feels similar to walking on a foot that's fallen asleep. It's a form of neuropathy, but it still freaks me out that I can experience itching (from dry skin) and numbness at the same time.

And the shoulder pain in my right arm is also worsened by two mild rotator cuff tears from my youthful days of gymnastics. I have hypermobile EDS which I'm confident has contributed to many of my middle age woes of osteoarthritis and joint damage from overuse and abuse.

Johnskip

the pain is the most annoying pain I ever had in my life back of the head neck and down its beyond awful I had it for last 3 years and getting worse

Dmitri

One of my worst lifelong symptoms. An EMG test showed mild radiculopathy of the neck and deltoids, but I don't think that explains the extent of it fully. Pain in the occiput radiates to the top/sides of my head, down the neck as well as the trapezius. On some days it extends to an arm.

This is a common complaint when it comes to CFS/fibro/lyme/etc.diagnoses. It may be due to intracranial hype/hypotension.

I think that one-sided pain may indicate problems with the cervical spine or some abnormality at the craniocervical junction.

Last edited:

BruceInOz

PEM lowers pain treshold. So in some cases, when there is a small mechanical issue, it can show up (as pain) after excertion.
I very much doubt this based on my experience of it. My guess would be more along the lines of a referred pain originating from insufficient blood flow or energy production in some particular part of the brain or brainstem.