• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Your voice quality-- do you often get hoarse or are you unable to speak?

awol

As a kid I was constantly being reminded to speak more quietly. In high school it was often noted that I had no trouble making myself heard when needed, and in choirs I was always considered a section leader because my voice carried and the other followed it.

Since ME/CFS hit, I constantly have to repeat myself because people can't hear me. I can't sing well anymore because my throat is really tight. I am not hoarse, but the volume and quality of sounds I can make has seriously suffered.

Athene

ihateticks.me
I have had a hoarse voice with asthama for a brief period. It was caused by my hiatus hernia, which I never knew I had. The doc said you get acid rising up into the throat and then sinking down again without realising it. This causes respiratory problems, burns the throat and makes the voice hoarse. I felt as if I had sand in my throat.
Just thought I'd mention it in case your riend thinks it could be possible in her case.

hensue

When I overdo or have the PEM everyone who calls on the phone will say you are sick today arent you? They can always tell by my voice my husband can tell by my voice. It is in there somewhere hoarse and very quiet. All my life I had been called the Mouth of the South!

Otis

Señor Mumbler
I have had a hoarse voice with asthama for a brief period. It was caused by my hiatus hernia, which I never knew I had. The doc said you get acid rising up into the throat and then sinking down again without realising it. This causes respiratory problems, burns the throat and makes the voice hoarse. I felt as if I had sand in my throat.
Just thought I'd mention it in case your riend thinks it could be possible in her case.

Athene,

It sounds as if this is past tense. Did this go away on its own for you

I have a hiatal (sp?) which I suspect in the same thing, off to research...

Thanks,
Otis

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Athene,

It sounds as if this is past tense. Did this go away on its own for you
I have a hiatal (sp?) which I suspect in the same thing, off to research...
Thanks Otis

My voice goes worse according to how I feel, like others friends can tell straight away on the phone how I am, I always put it down to weak muscles but maybe it is stomach related, be interested in the answer too.