• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Emotionally-intense situations can result in rhabdomyolysis in McArdle disease

Dolphin

Just happened to come across this by chance as it came up for a PubMed alert for myalgic.

Anyway, I thought I'd post it as emotional situations have the potential to cause setbacks in ME/CFS

BMJ Case Rep. 2014 Oct 7;2014. pii: bcr2013203272. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2013-203272.
Emotionally-intense situations can result in rhabdomyolysis in McArdle disease.
Brady S1, Godfrey R2, Scalco RS1, Quinlivan RM3.
Author information

Abstract
Despite the majority of patients with McArdle disease reporting symptoms including fatigue, cramps and episodes of myoglobinuria from early childhood, diagnosis is often delayed by several decades. Additionally, many individuals with rhabdomyolysis remain undiagnosed. The occurrence of symptoms during exercise, particularly isometric muscle contraction such as heavy lifting, is well known in McArdle disease. However, isometric muscle contraction that occurs with emotion is not recognised as exercise and may be missed as a trigger for rhabdomyolysis, potentially leading to a delay in diagnosis. Three patients are presented here, all with symptoms from childhood including episodes of rhabdomyolysis induced by tense emotional situations without physical exertion; two patients reported recurrent episodes while watching rather than playing football. The remaining patient developed rhabdomyolysis during a heated argument. These patients' histories emphasise the risk from sustained isometric muscle contraction that occurs in emotive situations for patients with McArdle disease.

2014 BMJ Publishing Group Ltd.

PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Aside: another thing that can be affected by emotional situations and the like is control of herpes viruses. I recall seeing at least one study where they were less under control for university students at exam time.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Interesting suggestions from case studies. Warrants further investigation in that disease, though I understand rare diseases are hard-up for decent funding...