• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oxford criterea severely critisized by chief medical officer of the UK

G

Gerwyn

This is the extract from the CMA,s report

Oxford criteria[10] are used. These are even more broadly inclusive of a heterogeneous population than the definition of CFS by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention previously referred to.[11] Indeed, one of the co-authors of the Oxford criteria has described them as follows:

British investigators have put forward an alternative, less strict, operational definition which is essentially chronic fatigue in the absence of neurological signs [but] with psychiatric symptoms as common associated features.

would anyone like to hazard a guess as the person supplying the quote

leelaplay

Hi gerwyn

Thanks for this. Do you have the link to the CMA's report? When did it come out? Who does this report go to? Does it carry any wieght? Were any recommendations made about the use of the Oxford definition?

ok - enough questions

G

Gerwyn

Hi gerwyn

Thanks for this. Do you have the link to the CMA's report? When did it come out? Who does this report go to? Does it carry any wieght? Were any recommendations made about the use of the Oxford definition?

ok - enough questions

I meant CMO 2002 led to a formal definition in the UK which superceded oxford which includes post exhertional malaise and excludes depression

Dolphin

This is the extract from the CMA,s report

Oxford criteria’[10] are used. These are even more broadly inclusive of a heterogeneous population than the definition of CFS by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention previously referred to.[11] Indeed, one of the co-authors of the ‘Oxford’ criteria has described them as follows:

“British investigators have put forward an alternative, less strict, operational definition which is essentially chronic fatigue in the absence of neurological signs [but] with psychiatric symptoms as common associated features.”

would anyone like to hazard a guess as the person supplying the quote
Technically, he didn't say it. He wasn't even on the panel. Peter White, Trudie Chalder, Anthony Cleare (?) and A.N. Other resigned at the last minute after getting a lot of consessions.

G

Gerwyn

Technically, he didn't say it. He wasn't even on the panel. Peter White, Trudie Chalder, Anthony Cleare (?) and A.N. Other resigned at the last minute after getting a lot of consessions.

Who Do you think said it and what are we referring to

G

Gerwyn

The Chief Medical Officer didn't say it.
He set up a Working Group and they came up with the report.

I'm referring to the title of this thread:

Hi tomk You are quite right my post should read report endorsed by CMO criticizes Oxford criterea.I thought you were talking about the Quote.This originated from AS Davis--A co author of the Oxford criterea