• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The final P2P report has been published by NIH

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
I see nothing about increasing funding, just talk of making better use of funding sources that already exist. OK...

Denise

I compared the paper in Annals and the final report .

There appear to be few substantive differences between them.

Another advocate has pointed out that on page 2 of the final report, the first line says "ME/CFS results in major disability for a large proportion of the people affected." (The draft report uses the same phrase.)

In Annals that same line (first paragraph of body of article) says "It results in major disability for many persons."

I wonder if the following may have been suggestions from the editors at Annals rather than the authors of the report.
Every instance of the word "Thus" in the final report is changed to "Therefore" in the Annals article.
"e.g." is used in the final report but replaced in Annals with "such as".
"comorbidities" is used in the final report, but replaced in Annals with "comorbid conditions".
The final report uses the phrase "health care utilization" whereas Annals refers to "health care use".
The Annals article tends to use the phrase "patients with ME/CFS" whereas the final report refers to ME/CFS patients.
The final report uses "fail" or "failure" in 6 places, the Annals article uses "failure" in once place.

EDITED TO ADD: While this comparison is not exhaustive, the differences between the two documents make me wonder how much of the differences are style/format edits suggested by Annals.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

SOC

EDITED TO ADD: While this comparison is not exhaustive, the differences between the two documents make me wonder how much of the differences are style/format edits suggested by Annals.
Having been the victim of technical editors many times (Just teasing, they generally do a great job ;)), I can comfortably say that those changes look exactly like style/format edits. I doubt there's any technical meaning behind those changes.

Last edited: