• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B cells and cognitive impairment - even if in another context

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
No idea if this is relevant to ME but it has some interestingly familiar bits in it.

J Neurosci. 2015 Feb 4;35(5):2133-45. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.4098-14.2015.
B-lymphocyte-mediated delayed cognitive impairment following stroke.
Doyle KP1, Quach LN2, Solé M3, Axtell RC2, Nguyen TV1, Soler-Llavina GJ4, Jurado S4, Han J2, Steinman L2, Longo FM2, Schneider JA5, Malenka RC4,Buckwalter MS6.

Abstract
Each year, 10 million people worldwide survive the neurologic injury associated with a stroke. Importantly, stroke survivors have more than twice the risk of subsequently developing dementia compared with people who have never had a stroke. The link between stroke and the later development of dementia is not understood. There are reports of oligoclonal bands in the CSF of stroke patients, suggesting that in some people a B-lymphocyte response to stroke may occur in the CNS. Therefore, we tested the hypothesis that a B-lymphocyte response to stroke could contribute to the onset of dementia. We discovered that, in mouse models, activated B-lymphocytes infiltrate infarcted tissue in the weeks after stroke. B-lymphocytesundergo isotype switching, and IgM, IgG, and IgA antibodies are found in the neuropil adjacent to the lesion. Concurrently, mice develop delayed deficits in LTP and cognition. Genetic deficiency, and the pharmacologic ablation of B-lymphocytes using an anti-CD20 antibody, prevents the appearance of delayed cognitive deficits. Furthermore, immunostaining of human postmortem tissue revealed that a B-lymphocyte response to stroke also occurs in the brain of some people with stroke and dementia. These data suggest that some stroke patients may develop a B-lymphocyte response to stroke that contributes to dementia, and is potentially treatable with FDA-approved drugs that target B cells.

redaxe

Are there any standard therapies that are currently prescribed to stroke patients to reduce the oxidative and inflammatory damage caused by the rapid accumulation of free radicals in the brain following a stroke event?

Some doctors have been advocating things like D-Ribose, N-Acetyl Cysteine etc for some time. Is any of that stuff catching on in mainstream med and it could it prevent the cellular damage that could lead to further complications like the article above discusses?

alex3619

I wonder if this is relevant to post encephalitis or meningitis patients? Pathogen attack on the brain might very well be a big issue.

For many years I have been asking the question from time to time: what if the difference between someone who has a pathogen and someone who gets ME is it crosses into the brain or heart and induces immune changes?B cell infiltration of the brain is not unlikely, though perhaps uncommon.

cman89

Are there any standard therapies that are currently prescribed to stroke patients to reduce the oxidative and inflammatory damage caused by the rapid accumulation of free radicals in the brain following a stroke event?

Some doctors have been advocating things like D-Ribose, N-Acetyl Cysteine etc for some time. Is any of that stuff catching on in mainstream med and it could it prevent the cellular damage that could lead to further complications like the article above discusses?
I would throw b12 in there for its neuro effects and Glutathione promotion.

voner

No idea if this is relevant to ME but it has some interestingly familiar bits in it.

J Neurosci. 2015 Feb 4;35(5):2133-45. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.4098-14.2015.
B-lymphocyte-mediated delayed cognitive impairment following stroke.
Doyle KP1, Quach LN2, Solé M3, Axtell RC2, Nguyen TV1, Soler-Llavina GJ4, Jurado S4, Han J2, Steinman L2, Longo FM2, Schneider JA5, Malenka RC4,Buckwalter MS6.

Abstract
Each year, 10 million people worldwide survive the neurologic injury associated with a stroke. Importantly, stroke survivors have more than twice the risk of subsequently developing dementia compared with people who have never had a stroke. The link between stroke and the later development of dementia is not understood. There are reports of oligoclonal bands in the CSF of stroke patients, suggesting that in some people a B-lymphocyte response to stroke may occur in the CNS. Therefore, we tested the hypothesis that a B-lymphocyte response to stroke could contribute to the onset of dementia. .......

@Jonathan Edwards, how accurate is this mouse model relative to humans beings? over the years, I've read so many mouse model studies, yet I really don't have any idea how relevant they are.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
I'm not really sure how relevant this study is... Yes it shows there is B-cell involvement in the CNS after stroke that causes cognitive issues, but this could still be quite different to the cognitive issues experienced in ME.

With rats/mice it's kind of hard for them to describe how they feel...

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
@Jonathan Edwards, how accurate is this mouse model relative to humans beings? over the years, I've read so many mouse model studies, yet I really don't have any idea how relevant they are.

I think the mouse study just lends some credibility to the possible idea that B cells might be relevant after human stroke. But I think it would be unwise to think that it predicts any useful response to B cell depletion after human stroke. You can make a mouse model do whatever you like if you try hard enough.

Ecoclimber

You can make a mouse model do whatever you like if you try hard enough.

You're right! Some people complain that they don't mimic real life. Once you understand the pathology, you can make the model do anything

SmokingMouse.gif

Last edited: