• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mitochondrial Cocktail

cman89

If I could theoretically take a cocktail of supplements to regenerate/heal/boost Mitochondria function and genesis, with (theoretical) cost not being a factor, what would you include in this (likely massive) supplement regimen? (and I mean anything and everything) Ideally, I would like to not have listed supplements that are "reported" to increase Mitochondria, but where medical lit has good reports for effectiveness. If all issues (DNA, Function, Genesis, Cell wall integrity, and acidosis) Could potentially be covered by this theoretical cocktail, that would be awesome.

Wayne

Hi @cman89

Thanks for posting this--I've been sort of wondering the same thing. I saw a post recently by a PR member who claimed to have found a very effective mitochondrial supplement, but I somehow lost track of it. o_O I hope that poster will show up on this thread and re-post her testimonial.

dannybex

Catseye was bedridden at one point, and the last I heard was doing really well. Here's one of her many posts on mitochondria (which includes a lot of supplements -- where she talks about Coenzyme A -- she did find a supplement by that name that included all of the ingredients she lists here):

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ve-a-big-picture-theory.386/page-3#post-10898

One of her main points is fixing leaky gut first. She does insist on a certain diet. I think that diets will be different for everyone, but she talks about the one that helped her the best.

@Wayne -- I think that supplement is the "Biotec Extra Energy Enzymes" that Catseye talks about. But they seem to be either out of business, or just making the pet versions now. There is a bitter melon SOD enzyme product put out by Seeking Health though…

:)

*GG*

@Wayne -- I think that supplement is the "Biotec Extra Energy Enzymes" that Catseye talks about. But they seem to be either out of business, or just making the pet versions now. There is a bitter melon SOD enzyme product put out by Seeking Health though…

:)

Oh, guess this would make more sense than CoQ10, I'm upping my dosage of that :)

GG

pogoman

If I could theoretically take a cocktail of supplements to regenerate/heal/boost Mitochondria function and genesis, with (theoretical) cost not being a factor, what would you include in this (likely massive) supplement regimen? (and I mean anything and everything) I

in no particular order

coq10
B2 riboflavin
L-carnitine
Choline
branch chained amino acids
creatine
D-ribose
L-citrulline
caffeine

Wayne

This is good info folks, lets keep it going...

How about DCA (DiChloroAcetate)? It's a low-cost prescription drug that's been used for decades to treat mitochondrial disorders. More recently it's been used to successfully treat cancer. Interestingly, last I checked, it was being sold on Amazon as a veterinary product for animals with cancer.

pogoman

No b12 in that mix? esp. Adenosylcobalamin?

i consider B12 more to be with methylation than the krebs cycle altho both are related.
plus some are sensitive to methyl products but if one has mthfr or similar then by all means it should be included along with folate.

cman89

How about DCA (DiChloroAcetate)? It's a low-cost prescription drug that's been used for decades to treat mitochondrial disorders. More recently it's been used to successfully treat cancer. Interestingly, last I checked, it was being sold on Amazon as a veterinary product for animals with cancer.
Do you have an idea how it works?

leokitten

I didn't see it mentioned here (maybe I missed it) but in addition to supplements mentioned you should also take PQQ, it promotes mitochondrial biogenesis.

SOC

I didn't see it mentioned here (maybe I missed it) but in addition to supplements mentioned you should also take PQQ, it promotes mitochondrial biogenesis.
Have you read anything about appropriate dosage for PQQ?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Even though these things are meant to increase energy, what about ways to reduce pem after activity?
I wonder if it would be best to use a pem treatment on an as needs basis or preemptive when we definitely know we are going to get hit. I wonder if using something all the time can reduce it's effects.

So what could we use to treat pem? I know @SOC increase q10 dose. Inflammation is said to increase, I have thought of maybe an anti inflammatory and an antihistamine to help reduce inflammation. Maybe increase normal dose of carnitine and antioxidants when we have pem. To help replace energy use a combo of creating, ribose, pyruvate, bcaa, glutamine and maybe use larger doses than one would use if they took them regularly.

I'm still looking into different substances that could be used for a pem recovery as well as substances to help mitochondria function well. I do use b12 injections when in a crash and they help some.

So any more thoughts on not just supporting mitochondria but also a pem recovery strategy?

Cheers

cman89

Even though these things are meant to increase energy, what about ways to reduce pem after activity?
I wonder if it would be best to use a pem treatment on an as needs basis or preemptive when we definitely know we are going to get hit. I wonder if using something all the time can reduce it's effects.

So what could we use to treat pem? I know @SOC increase q10 dose. Inflammation is said to increase, I have thought of maybe an anti inflammatory and an antihistamine to help reduce inflammation. Maybe increase normal dose of carnitine and antioxidants when we have pem. To help replace energy use a combo of creating, ribose, pyruvate, bcaa, glutamine and maybe use larger doses than one would use if they took them regularly.

I'm still looking into different substances that could be used for a pem recovery as well as substances to help mitochondria function well. I do use b12 injections when in a crash and they help some.

So any more thoughts on not just supporting mitochondria but also a pem recovery strategy?

Cheers
Actually, yes I do. Anything that could reduce the pH burden of the blood and tissues overall could potentially help with PEM. It can protect the cells from the oxidative damage which is said to be seen in CFS PEM. One easily accessible substance is Baking Soda, or Sodium Bicarbonate. Drinking it mixed in H2O can help some folks, but it can also create gas and other gut issues.