• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Faith Healing Discussion

Martlet

Just one point. On another part of the internet, both I and my cat have an account. My cat is having a discussion with a French cat. It is all open and above board, but my point is that I often log in under my cat's name and under mine, as does the owner of the French cat. All it needs is two different browsers open at the same time. Just saying.

Jody

Okay, I had to read this FOUR times to get a grip.:eek:

But once I got past the pretending to be a talking cat thing ... I may have gotten your point. (Unless that was it?:Retro tongue:)

You are saying that you don't need two computers, or to log in as one name and be logged out as the other name at the same time -- like, both names can't be on at the same time.

You are saying, opening two browsers is like having two computers, one for each log-in.

Have I got it?

This is difficult for me because firstly I'm tech-challenged. And I really got caught up in you and your friend and your cats having tea parties over the net.:D Pardon, there would needs be catnip as well.

Tom

windows exterminator
It is easier for two people who happen to share an IP -- which is very common -- to post within one minute of each other than for one person to fake being two people.

I have noticed that a lot of people on this forum value privacy. There are also security concerns. To me, IP addresses and who does or does not share them should remain private information in ALL cases. To me, privacy should be valued very highly on this server. I feel uncomfortable that it is not.

Hi Samuel ,
If you wish to keep your IP Address private run all your internet traffic through a proxy server. Just goole for public proxy servers ans pick one wherever you want.
You can just keep adding to them and send your traffic round the planet but this does slow down browsing however.
Or
Use a Tor server.
I run a wireless network with over 200 pc's listed , we could all post to where ever and all would show whichever IP Address I chose depending on how the traffic was routed.
The same IP or multiple IP's

Jody

Oh, so now admins are encouraging illicit drug use!:rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? Catnip is great stuff!:D

But ... you didn't hear that from me. This is all hypothetical and secondhand, from an anonymous but reliable source. (Okay, it's my cat.):Retro tongue:

K

Knackered

Just one point. On another part of the internet, both I and my cat have an account. My cat is having a discussion with a French cat. It is all open and above board, but my point is that I often log in under my cat's name and under mine, as does the owner of the French cat. All it needs is two different browsers open at the same time. Just saying.

Um. Pardon?

Martlet

You are saying that you don't need two computers, or to log in as one name and be logged out as the other name at the same time -- like, both names can't be on at the same time.

Exactly.

And FWIW, I didn't start the cat thing. My cat didn't join until I got a message from this French cat, then I signed up my cat and the two have been happily communicating ever since. :D Of course, that one's owner and I don't actually talk to the cats. We talk to each-other and leave the cats to discuss the price of fish or whatever cats like to discuss.

Now - seriously - I apologise if people were not aware that their IP addresses are logged whenever they go onto the internet. Every site we visit logs our IPs. If anyone is interested, go here and see your IP pop up: http://www.ipchicken.com/ But let me hasten to say that we never, ever reveal that information and in some ways, it could help us to protect members.

Let's say that a woman (although it could happen to a man) had a serious internet stalker. If she reported it to us, we would be able to block the person, but just let's say that this stalker was particularly nasty - we could log it so that the victim would be able to report it to the police. We would have no way of knowing who the stalker was, but the police could then go to the stalker's internet service provider and would be able to gain access to the address of the abuser and nab them.

Hope this helps to explain.

Samuel

But let me hasten to say that we never, ever reveal that information ...

Martlet,

You revealed that Cameron and flex are probably at the same location. That is a violation of the privacy of Cameron and flex.

Samuel

jackie

I give my Dogs Catnip. (I sew catnip mice into teeny tiny little cloth bags...and hide them all over the house...maybe I have TOO much time on my hands?) see DOGS on CATNIP pix below.

Schnauzer on TOO much catnip (definitely NOT smiling!:()
Pomeranian on just the RIGHT amount (SMILING:Retro wink:)

j:eek:

Attachments

• img_0910.jpg
    img_0910.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 14
  • img_0880.jpg
    img_0880.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 18

Martlet

That is just too cute, Jackie! I've never heard of dogs reacting to catnip, but this might explain why my cats always lose their catnip toys to our whacky spaniel. Trouble is, he's a Welsh Springer, so the way he pings, we wouldn't know if he had been on the cats' drugs or not.

Lily

*Believe*
I can't believe I'm posting on this again. I've been arguing with myself for days as to why I am choosing to put energy here. I do have other things to keep me busy that do not cause me undue emotional energy. All I have to do is walk away from these threads. I can get all the information I want about what's happening with CFS by reading the forums without getting involved otherwise. Suffice it to say, I'm working on it and you will eventually see me succeed. However, for the moment, I find myself once more putting my better judgement aside.......

It's interesting to me to note how many times members have been corrected when referring to Kim as a moderator. "Kim is has never been a moderator, she is an administrator".

Even the most casual observer on this forum would see that Kim's normal interactions have resulted in a moderating effect on numerous occasions when differences of opinions were escalating even minorly. She has gently and persuasively given posters insight into the different ways their posts may be perceived. She provides rational and practical guidance without a superior tone and adroitly avoids giving the receiver of the information reason to take a defensive posture.

She performed, instinctively and probably unconsciously, as an informal leader on this forum even before she became an (technical issues) "administrator". She leads by example. She can't help it, it's part of who she is. So you must not be surprised that people who are not as observant of titles assume Kim is in a moderator role.

In addition, before we had official moderators on this forum (yes it really wasn't all that long ago), Jody (with a title of Adminstrator) did assume some moderator responsibilities when absolutely necessary as did Chronically Fatigued.

Maybe the terms Adminstrator and Moderator are defined in the Nuts and Bolts section, I really haven't looked and that is beside the point.

Dainty

Now - seriously - I apologise if people were not aware that their IP addresses are logged whenever they go onto the internet. Every site we visit logs our IPs. If anyone is interested, go here and see your IP pop up: http://www.ipchicken.com/ But let me hasten to say that we never, ever reveal that information and in some ways, it could help us to protect members.

A quick note....when those in chat were given temporary admin status just for fun their IP addresses were visible to all in the room.

A

anne

Agreed, Lily. A very nice post. Kim's general good judgement makes me feel that any situation that has been resolved so that she steps down has been resolved unfortunately. I say this with great respect toward the people that keep this place running so well. It doesn't sound like anyone thinks this went well, and somethings things snowball and bad ends come before you can help it. But I hope some careful consideration can, perhaps, rectify the situation.

Sorry, it's not my business, and I'll stop.

Lily

*Believe*
Agreed, Lily. A very nice post. Kim's general good judgement makes me feel that any situation that has been resolved so that she steps down has been resolved poorly. I say this with great respect toward the people that keep this place running so well.

Thank you, Anne. I do keep telling myself that situations just are, and that we (I) judge them as good or bad.

brenda

Thanks to the mods for this section.

I will start off by apologising for my over-reaction previously. Although I think Rachel had to right to say what she did, I think that every claim of healing should be questioned and I see that some aspects of her healing, particularly her seeming reluctance to discuss it further, bring forth doubts. I have no problem with that, nor with the thought that harm can come about through spurious claims of healing. A case in question are the so called healing crusades that can be seen on Christian tv channels. I noticed that most of the healings are about back problems, pains here and there and things that cannot be substantiated - and I feel they should be. There should be a doctor around.

I was at one meeting where there were children in wheelchairs with anxious hopeful parents, but all of the healings were centered on adults with the problems I mentioned and none of the children were healed. I do not believe that these healings are necessarily from God. Studies have shown a lot of the results have disappeared after a few weeks showing I think that they have been the result of adrenaline filled expectations and the performace of showmen. I have seen the genuine thing though occasionally like a 70 year old man with bad arthritis of the fingers and unable to bend them, open out his hands in amazement after prayers with all pain gone. I believe that he continued to be healed. I also met a woman who had had ME badly for a length of time and was now working full time and having children, looking a picture of health. She had nothing to gain from her claims of an instant recovery.

I over-reacted, not because such healing was being questioned, I am the first to do so, but where there is derision for those who do believe in God and who say that believers are unintelligent or lacking somehow or even insane, a claim which is preposterous when you look at famous believers like

Copernicus
Francis Bacon
Kepler
Galilei
Descartes
Isaac Newton
Robert boyle
Faraady
Einstein

to name but a few. My own natural healing has surprising results and I was shocked at myself in becoming so heated as it is not my character to do so so again apologies.

I welcome questioning as I have had many questions myself, not being brought up in a Christian environment. A lot of doubt however, is because of what is in the heart not the mind. If someone does not want to accept there is a God then no evidence at all will convince them even if it is right before their eyes they will find a way to deny it. Camerons questions were valid but there was a hint of scorn in his voice which does not help a discussion.

So how can we have useful discusion? I think that one helpful thing is to agree that there is an awful lot wrong with the church and its teachings and I am thinking of the RC churches teaching on contraception here - I think it is irresponsible to disuade people from using condoms but I can see the rational behind it and agree with it in a way, that the conception of children should be up to God and that is okay I think if the parents are Christian people who have a stable homelife and committed marriage but this is not a reality for most of the world. You have to see how things really are not how you would like them to be.

On healing - there is healing on a smaller scale for all of those who have faith, in that they have hope and something to cling to when dark moments come though sometimes their faith is a source of despair, at times when they lose their sense of the presence of God or trust in His plans for them to have a meaningful life.

But I wonder if we all deep down want this to be true - that there is a God and that He can heal instantly but do not want to have hope raised in case it is false and looking at the world, the evidence seems to point to there not being a God or at least a God who cares.

B

Navid

hi brenda

thank you for your lovely thoughtful post. i must admit i was one of the ppl often put off by your "christian fervor" posts. now under these cool calm conditions, i see that you are a good, kind person with strong beliefs. thanks for sharing.

i was raised catholic and am thankful for the sense of belonging and foundation of faith it provided me in my early life...however many of the church's teachings go against my moral beliefs. i can no longer participate in the religion. i do still believe in "God" (as the goodness that abides in all of us) and in jesus as a prophet.

what i cannot tolerate are the church's sexist exclusion of woman from the priesthood, it's intolerance of homosexuals, it's stance on abortion, the decades long cover-up of sexual abuse and it's teachings on birth control.

when a man as powerful and revered as the pope tells the people of Africa that using condoms will not stop the spread of hiv/aids, he is committing a huge injustice against vulnerable people who believe he literally speaks the word of God. This proclamation then becomes the foundation for more suffering and death.

Glad to get to know you better Brenda:Retro smile:

warmest regards, lisa

brenda

Hi Lisa

Many thanks for your kind words. :)

Yes unforunately the RCC has a lot of teachings practices and abuses that I cannot call Christian and most of all the child sexual abuse cover ups. I don't see how they can survive after that one, but I know many catholic people who are good Christians. For many though this is the only face of Christianity they see and are turned off by it.

warmest regards to you too

Brenda

Misfit Toy

Whatever works for people, even if it is just a placebo...that's ok! I had diflucan make me better years ago. Not well, but better. I will take anything I get. Even if it's temporary. Men seem to heal it seems.

kurt

MODERATOR - There have been comments about the Catholic church here, and some border on put-downs and that would be against what is written in the introduction text to this 'Spirituality and CFS' sub-forum. Please show respect for ALL forum members and be careful, do not slam someone's faith, either directly or indirectly by implication.

K

Knackered

What do you think constitutes being a good Christian?

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent." - Timothy 2-12

Shutting up and being quiet! :D

JOKING! :tongue: