• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do I stop "next day" muscle aches ...?

Bansaw

Now it seems, after light yardwork I am experiencing next day muscle aches.
Last night I just did some light weeding in the garden and now my arms are aching, my shoulders ache. I guess its because I don't do it too often, but these next-day muscle aches seem to be getting worse.

Any advice for me? Supplements.... Stretching .... whats worked for you?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I hear ya! I decide to plant a tree on Saturday and I really ached and felt miserable on Sunday.

One supplement I'm taking that I believe can help withmuscle stamina is beta alanine - look into that one.

I think that taking Beta Alanine, d-ribose and Mangapower creatine before doing yard work can help. Any or even all of them at once. (5000mg d-ribose + 1600mg beta alanine + 500mg creatine etc.)

To get rid of the miserable aches, I am finding that a FIR heating pad (mine is Therasage, with jade stones) works very well and soothes it pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Tammy

Magnesium malate along with other magnesium helps me with those after exertion aches. For me the aches can come from the SLIGHTEST of exertions.

pogoman

Now it seems, after light yardwork I am experiencing next day muscle aches.
Last night I just did some light weeding in the garden and now my arms are aching, my shoulders ache. I guess its because I don't do it too often, but these next-day muscle aches seem to be getting worse.

Any advice for me? Supplements.... Stretching .... whats worked for you?

Look into DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) treatments.
Most googling will find athletic and body builder info but it is applicable to any level of muscle pain occuring hours later.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Coenzyme Q10 at much higher doses than usual. :) 600mg at least. BEFORE you exercise.

-J

Please be aware that not everyone can cope with Co-Q10, even at much lower doses. Whilst Examine.com say
usage of 900mg daily for prolonged periods (4 weeks) was not associated with any clinically relevant adverse effects.[297]

this is preceded by
no acute side effects aside from gastrointestinal (digestive) distress are reported with doses up to 3,000mg daily[294][295][296]

Maybe that's what I had when I almost lost control of my bowels on the way back from the shops! I was only taking 100 mg a day. I also had dizziness and excessive hunger. When I tried it before (dosage unknown) I had
disturbance of co-ordination and a numb and painful right hand (can't be certain about cause).

Erica Verrillo's e-book says:
Some patients report that CoQ10, while giving them an initial energy boost, also increases insomnia and causes jitters. Some people report, paradoxically, that CoQ10 produces exhaustion, although this effect may be more common in the acutely ill than in those with stable symptoms. CoQ10 lowers blood sugar levels, which may be problematic for patients with hypoglycemia. High doses can cause flu-like symptoms.

Verrillo, Erica (2012-09-14). Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Treatment Guide, 2nd Edition (Kindle Locations 12892-12894). Erica Verrillo. Kindle Edition.