• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dextromethorphan increases ACTH and Corticosterone?

Chriswolf

According to this abstract, it does.

I discovered this last year, and while I don't condone self medication of adrenal problems via this method, I have done so when I had to in a pinch, and it did seem to do enough to shake the cobwebs out and get me ambulatory.

This is purely for information purposes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14742749

South

@Chriswolf Have you ever used adrenal cortex supplements, or adrenal glandular extract supplements of any kind? If so, how did their effects go for you, compared to what you experience with the dextromethorphan?

Last edited:

Chriswolf

@Chriswolf Have you ever used adrenal cortex supplements, or adrenal glandular extract supplements of any kind? If so, how did their effects go for you, compared to what you experiene with the dextromethorphan?

Yes, unfortunately I did try a desiccated glandular and it didn't do anything for me at all.

DXM was quick and immediate by comparison to taking pregnenolone as a precursor, or simply slathering on some topical cortef or betamethasone, which in particular is very good at getting into the bloodstream.

DXM however also left me feeling exhausted after a shorter period of time as it presumably gets things going in a more timely manner. However if I had to put the afterburners on and go get something done, it was something I used.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I use dxm to help avoid tolerance to benzos. I take it at night and it seems to help me sleep better @heapsreal talks about using it for this.

I do have adrenal issues so this is interesting. I wonder what he has to say.

Chriswolf

I have to say as an aside, I don't have actual addison's disease, the only thing that I do know is that without taking any sort of suppressive preparation such as a topical, or anything that might interfere with my HPA axis, my cortisol values were quite low for a good long time.

I had the synthetic ACTH stim test and responded well, so perhaps I have a problem with the proper release of ACTH, or perhaps my production is impaired.

I do notice a difference in alertness and energy for a brief time when I take a moderate dosage of it.

South

Well now I'm confused (it doesn't take much sometimes :thumbdown: )

@Chriswolf takes dextromethorphan for energy (although followed by exhaustion, it sounds like)
and
@minkeygirl takes it to get to sleep! Does it give you any energy first before later allowing sleep, or its first action sleepyness for you?

I found the thread by Heapsreal, about using it to reduce tolerance to benzos for sleep, allowing sleep from a smaller dose of benzos than would otherwise work:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ethorphan-fibro-reduce-benzo-tolerance.18459/

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@South I take it because of what @heapsreal said. I think he said it has more to do with tolerance since it doesn't seem to affect the dosage I take.

If I got amped from it I wouldn't take it at night. We are all so different.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
@South I take it because of what @heapsreal said. I think he said it has more to do with tolerance since it doesn't seem to affect the dosage I take.

If I got amped from it I wouldn't take it at night. We are all so different.

It's supposedly because it's an nmda antagonist and this helps reverse a few drug intolerances such as benzos and some stimulants, can also help with benzo withdrawal. Not sure on the exact mechanisms, but I have never found it energising and the dose I use is the recommended dose used for a cough suppressant 60mg I think?

Chriswolf

I use a bit more than the default dose, not by a huge margin. Some of the side effects listed are excitation, which I don't really experience, but I do feel uniquely "stimulated", a lot of the time when I take it, it's to break the head fogginess and dull sense of perception I get all too often.

That in of itself to me is reminiscent of how cortisol makes me feel. I feel more spatially aware, I feel more physically able to move around upright, especially if I'm having to walk somewhere, etc as opposed to feeling as if I'm fighting with myself.

Granted after some time the tiredness catches up with me when the medication starts to wear off, but it just adds that extra jolt to my system in short order that allows me to get things done when they need to be without feeling like I'm dragging myself around.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I use a bit more than the default dose, not by a huge margin. Some of the side effects listed are excitation, which I don't really experience, but I do feel uniquely "stimulated", a lot of the time when I take it, it's to break the head fogginess and dull sense of perception I get all too often.

That in of itself to me is reminiscent of how cortisol makes me feel. I feel more spatially aware, I feel more physically able to move around upright, especially if I'm having to walk somewhere, etc as opposed to feeling as if I'm fighting with myself.

Granted after some time the tiredness catches up with me when the medication starts to wear off, but it just adds that extra jolt to my system in short order that allows me to get things done when they need to be without feeling like I'm dragging myself around.

I wonder if its nmda antagonist are reducing inflammation and helping with concentration .
Hc maybe reduce similar inflammation