• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High B12 levels with elevated homocysteine

I am confused as to what might be going on. I have elevated homocysteine levels however my folate is in the high normal range and my B12 is over 1600. I have several methylation mutations.

+/+
SOD2
NAT1
COMT
MTRR
CBS
MTHFD1L
TCN2

+/-
VDR TAQ/BSM
MTHFR C677T/A1298C
BHMT
GSTP1
GSTM1
ACE
AGT
DAO
FOLR1
FUT2
GAD1
NOS3
PEMT
SOD3

and GSTT1 is present

My understanding is MTHFR should make me deficient in both folate and B12. Any ideas what might be going on? If so, how do I solve this?

Last edited:
I have not started taking supplements yet. I was waiting for all my gene testing as well as vitamin levels from my labs.

what are your symptoms or diagnosis if one??

I have CFS, fibromyalgia, bipolar,migraines, frequent hives/rashes, food/chemical sensitivies, frequent kidney stones, and rapid/irregular heartbeat. My liver enzymes are elevated as well yet they can not find any signs of damage or fatty liver.

I'm high in all three as well.

Here's what Rich had to say on the matter:

In chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), it is common to see elevated B12 and folate in the blood serum, but this type of measurement is misleading in this disorder, because there is a functional deficiency of B12 in the cells, and folates drain from the cells to the blood in response, via the "methyl trap" mechanism due to MTHFR Gene Mutation.

Most of the B12 in the blood serum has been exported from the cells and is bound to haptocorrin, not transcobalamin, so it is accessible only to the liver cells, as part of a salvage pathway for recycling B12 back to the gut for reabsorption, not to the cells of the body in general.

This occurs because of glutathione depletion, which removes the normal protection from B12 inside the cells. The glutathione depletion therefore leads to hijacking of B12 by toxins, and this in turn causes a functional deficiency of B12. That produces a partial block in the methionine synthase enzyme, which leads to the folate draining and also sets up a vicious circle mechanism with glutathione depletion, which is what makes CFS a chronic condition.

Rich Van Konynenburg, Ph.D.
Independent CFS Researcher

Read more: http://www.easy-immune-health.com/h...ms-similar-to-a-deficiency.html#ixzz3cYDWUS00

I have similar mutations to you; +/- for MTHFR C677T/A1298C included. I've always had high B12 and folate on my bloods, yet B12 still helps me to this day. I have a love/hate relationship with folate - it's complicated...

@Mogwai What supplements do you take? Have you been able to regulate it?

I'm just taking hydroxy B12 - 1000mcg in the morning, and magnesium malate nightly, at the moment.

I'm trying to re-introduce a B complex into the mix, then choline bitartrate.

Tolerating anything, outside of B12 and magnesium, has proved difficult. Always has...

I'm sorry I'm not much help!

pogoman