• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Changes in face

Jammy88

Hi'all,

Hope you're all doing ok - as far as possible.

This topic is to ask you what follows:
has any of you noticed any changes in face after the onset of symptoms? Since I got this infection, I lost weight and this has had a major impact on my face. Also, I have almost constant dark circle under eyes, now.

I really don't know what to do - it's very depressing to see your face changing without you being able to do something useful.

re facial changes : fat tends to go away on face, leaving a thinner shape.

dark circles ,as explained to me, are a sign of dehydration especially if eyes become more deep-set.
Dehydration can be a nasty condition to recover from, so best try to avoid getting too far along with it.
work on it now, don't wait.

Edit: I have found flavored coconut water helpful. Plus switched to an alkaline pH water from reverse osmosis machine at the local health food store; added a drink called Ginger Soother, and mix in some lemon juice (all mixed to your taste), and I sip on it around-the-clock. Works well. And remember, lots & lots of just plain water.

Last edited:

Jammy88

re facial changes : fat tends to go away on face, leaving a thinner shape.

dark circles ,as explained to me, are a sign of dehydration especially if eyes become more deep-set.
Dehydration can be a nasty condition to recover from, so best try to avoid getting too far along with it.
work on it now, don't wait.

Thank you my friend.

How should I work on dehydration ? I have started drinking water w/electrolytes and using cream with hyaluronic acid. Is that ok?

And for what concerns fat on face, yes, that's what's happening to me, too. Damn infection. Is there anything that can be done about it ?

Thank you !!

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Hi there @Jammy88

I have a thinner face due to weight loss, together with dark circles and puffiness under my eyes.

Pretty sure I am not dehydrated.

I have read somewhere that dark circles and puffiness under the eyes is related to the body struggling to get rid of toxins, but don't know if this is correct.

I definitely didn't have these problems before becoming ill.

Best wishes, Andy

msf

I'm pretty sure in my case it's from not sleeping well. My brother has the same bags under his eyes, and he is healthy and has just started a new job where he has to work night shifts.

Thank you my friend.

How should I work on dehydration ? I have started drinking water w/electrolytes and using cream with hyaluronic acid. Is that ok?

And for what concerns fat on face, yes, that's what's happening to me, too. Damn infection. Is there anything that can be done about it ?

Thank you !!
I have the dark circles, a modestly fat face and don't suffer from dehydration, hmm...
maybe you have a different version, also known as Cohort. I have a version causing the symptoms as described. How do I know this? BECAUSE I NEARLY DIED FROM IT ONLY 6 WEEKS AGO. Do you have anything to contribute to that subject, too?

My problem turned out to be Vit D deficiency, Vit B12 deficiency, and I addressed it with High Quality, bio-available supplements,specifically Bio D-Mulsion / & Hydroxycobalamin with folic acid. Also began K2.

Re infection: maybe SIBO. I am keeping it at bay using probiotic medicine-food VSL #3, so far at 3weeks with no setback. However, I don't kid myself; I'm sure the time will come to find something else when it stops being effective.

Best wishes.

Forbin

Dark circles under the eyes can also be a sign of allergy. I developed such circles under my eyes very shortly after the onset of M.E.

The recent cerebrospinal fluid cytokine study by Mady Hornig and Ian Lipkin says this in the abstract:
Our results indicate a markedly disturbed immune signature in the cerebrospinal fluid of cases that is consistent with immune activation in the central nervous system, and a shift toward an allergic or T helper type-2 pattern associated with autoimmunity. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25824300

I seem to recall that this immune shift toward an allergic state has been seen in other immune studies as well. However, I don't know if such a finding would suggest that patients would exhibit external signs of allergy, like dark circles under the eyes, or if this is something that is restricted to the molecular level.

helios

Yes I can relate to your dilemma too with changes to my face. I have very low body fat now so its not just my face, but of course that's what you notice in the mirror and other people notice so its distressing. I've had a couple of people joke with me about me being on meth, which was depressing.
I have the dark circles too, and for me its related to chemical/food intolerance (if I take a herbal laxative the next day the dark circles go) and I'd also agree that not being properly hydrated wont help..When I got sick my facial fat got lower but going on TRT and taking ABx for the infection made it worse imo.
I found good quality licorice tonic helps my appearance likely through increased water retention,though I'm taking higher normal dose to get that effect. I was very tempted to get facial filler injections like hiv lipodystrophy patients do at one stage.

Martial

Dark circles under the eyes can be from a lot of things, if you are sleeping worse it can also obviously cause it as well. My face got thinner and my features got sharper. However my face filled out again when I gained back some size. Still looks different then when I was 21 at the same bodyweight, I think this is due to being 25 now though. Losing the remaining baby fat from the face.

Jammy88

Thank you guys for all your kind answers.

I will post all of my results later today. However, Vit. D, Vit. B12, Folic Acid, Iron, etc… everything was perfectly in range. So apparently there are no Vit. deficiencies, which I something I thought I had.

Will keep you guys posted on what the GP tells me.

At the moment, the only 'concerning' data is the one of C-Reactive Protein, which is getting higher - although still in range.

Best wishes

Hi'all,

Hope you're all doing ok - as far as possible.

has any of you noticed any changes in face after the onset of symptoms? Since I got this infection, I lost weight and this has had a major impact on my face. Also, I have almost constant dark circle under eyes, now.

I really don't know what to do - it's very depressing to see your face changing without you being able to do something useful.

Hello Jammy88,
Today I found info related to dark circles, Dehydration, etc and how it may be related to digestive disorder, namely ileocecal valve disorder. It's the valve that separates the large intestine from the small intestine. This valve can be stuck in the "open position", allowing backflow and causing intestinal distress. Your symptoms, and mine, were specifically mentioned as a result of the contamination that happens due to the valve being stuck open. It needs to know when to close, but does not because of several reasons -->which are also noted in the article(s) + videos which I found. Just search, ileocecal valve; it is explained much better than I can do here with my limited typing skills/no energy today. Apparently it's a common disorder but often falls through the cracks. It can be corrected, with proper skill & practice by the patient. a Good chiropractor can teach the method, but You Tube videos also show it.

This seems like it may be helpful, but not the final answer. Procedures must be faithfully followed, i.e. good diet, etc. The usual common sense that we, who have our Problem, may let lapse.

Edit: my chiropractor has helped me with this adjustment of the ileocecal valve (closed it) and it has helped improve the function of my digestive process. Now to go after the pesky infection in the SIBO zone. Re the "dark circles" which started this conversation, they have been reduced by about 2/3rds.

Last edited:

Hip

I don't know if this is relevant, but in terms of changes to the face, Dr Amir in London sometimes finds this change in the facial structure (due to a misaligned jaw) can be the cause of ME/CFS-like symptoms, and Amir has found that by realigning the jaw, dramatic improvements or cures can be obtained in some patients with ME/CFS symptoms.

See this post by Mari66, whose daughter Hannah had changes in face shape, and was diagnosed with ME/CFS :
Feel, I have to post again to encourage all who are diagnosed with ME or CFS or whatever it is called to rule out a misaligned jaw as a cause. After the devastation of last year to see my beautiful daughter so full of life the last few days since she has come home from university has been wonderful and the change in shape of her face and her whole body is clearly working wonders with Dr Amir's treatment. This time last year she struggled to walk for a very short distance and today I really couldn't keep up with her. Just want other families to experience the same benefits. He has loads of testomonials on his site that are well worth reading. We got our daughter back through seeing someone else's story and are so blessed to have done so.
The above paragraph was posted by the mother of Hannah, whose story of face shape changes and ME/CFS symptoms can be found here.

Whether these patients with fatigue etc due to face changes and jaw misalignments have true ME/CFS is a debatable question. But ME/CFS or not, if the symptoms can be greatly improved or cured by jay realignment, it may be wroth exploring this avenue.

More info on Dr Amir's work and treatment on this thread:
ME caused by squeezed nerve? | Page 6 | Phoenix Rising ME / CFS Forums

Last edited:

maybe you have a different version, also known as Cohort. I have a version causing the symptoms as described. How do I know this? BECAUSE I NEARLY DIED FROM IT ONLY 6 WEEKS AGO. Do you have anything to contribute to that subject, too?

I have wanted to edit my reply, to say that the all-caps entered above, was intended for emphasis; not meant to be seen as yelling/shouting. My skills as a typist are poor, and I should have underlined it seems. Don't know about how to accomplish that either :) Point is, any stress that may have been caused was unintentional. I suppose that's why nobody else has said anything either, nor has Jammy 88 returned yet with the results from seeing his GP. After all, it's his thread: not about me
Meanwhile. I shall keep on "hunting & pecking" along in here.

Thanks to everyone for all that you do.

Last edited:

Jammy88

Hi guys,

here's a quick update.

So…

Bloodwork totally normal, GP said the issue is 'solved' since the gammopathy I had is not there anymore. Which makes sense, but I still have some symptoms.

I started seeing a dietologist, since I've lost 10% of my weight. He said I had a catabolic syndrome following the infection… let's see if I'm able to get at least some weight back.
He performed several tests, and apparently I'm not dehydrated.
My face looks so different than a year ago… I hope I can get back to look like my old self...

Hello Jammy88,
Today I found info related to dark circles, Dehydration, etc and how it may be related to digestive disorder, namely ileocecal valve disorder. It's the valve that separates the large intestine from the small intestine. This valve can be stuck in the "open position", allowing backflow and causing intestinal distress. Your symptoms, and mine, were specifically mentioned as a result of the contamination that happens due to the valve being stuck open. It needs to know when to close, but does not because of several reasons -->which are also noted in the article(s) + videos which I found. Just search, ileocecal valve; it is explained much better than I can do here with my limited typing skills/no energy today. Apparently it's a common disorder but often falls through the cracks. It can be corrected, with proper skill & practice by the patient. a Good chiropractor can teach the method, but You Tube videos also show it.

This seems like it may be helpful, but not the final answer. Procedures must be faithfully followed, i.e. good diet, etc. The usual common sense that we, who have our Problem, may let lapse.

Edit: my chiropractor has helped me with this adjustment of the ileocecal valve (closed it) and it has helped improve the function of my digestive process. Now to go after the pesky infection in the SIBO zone. Re the "dark circles" which started this conversation, they have been reduced by about 2/3rds.

I have decided that Only a Good, trained Professional person should do this maneuver. Otherwise, more damage may occur than good. I won't even bother looking at YouTube other than to see possibilities/become informed.

Dark circles under the eyes can also be a sign of allergy. I developed such circles under my eyes very shortly after the onset of M.E.

The recent cerebrospinal fluid cytokine study by Mady Hornig and Ian Lipkin says this in the abstract:

I seem to recall that this immune shift toward an allergic state has been seen in other immune studies as well. However, I don't know if such a finding would suggest that patients would exhibit external signs of allergy, like dark circles under the eyes, or if this is something that is restricted to the molecular level.

I also believe allergies cause dark circles, known as "allergy mask". . . one of the earliest signals I noticed in my onset was Dairy allergy. Milk from cow source, ice cream, cheese(s) ... poof, all pleasures gone. That door closed; but others have opened. Almond milk has been enjoyable.
Recently learned from a person "in the know" that young almond trees now growing near Bakersfield are being watered with frack-water! Please, how stupid is that? I don't know that they are producing yet, but when they do begin, it won't be a good thing. Meanwhile, hopefully the Alm.milk now being produced is still ok. Who really knows this? Someone does. Best wishes to them.

Just want to reinforce, before my daughter was diagnosed with ME the main thing I noticed was a change in facial features, she obviously was focusing on her myriad of symptoms at the time that made her feel so unwell. Every doctor I mentioned it too, and we saw loads, ignored this. We now know her jaw was severly misaligned and this was significantly impacting on her cranial and spinal position and hence her symptoms. With the correct treatment, repositioning of her jaw. Dr Amir Putney, her spine and cranium are now well on way to being in the correct place and all symptoms gone, she looks great and guess what, facial features back to normal, has a great jawline and gets physically stronger with each treatment

For those suffering, and know how awful this can be, contact him, especially with altered facial features