• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LDN for cognition

funkyqueen

Hi there !

Is here some guys who have taken LDN in order to improve their cognitive?
If so, after how long have you seen an improvement in your cognitive?

And what dosage you take?
(I guess 1mg --------- to -------4.5 mg , maximum dose)

Is here some people who have tried LDN sufficiently and seriously, and who can say that this has NOT improved their cognitive ?

Amaya2014

Hi @funkyqueen. I have been on LDN 4.5mg at bedtime for about 6 months now. I have noticed a decline in the level of pain I experience...muscle and, somewhat less, joint pain. As for cognitive I have not seen an improvement.

I have completed school with honors up to graduate level and I feel with CFS I would've been lucky to finish high school. My short term memory, word recall, ability to pay attention, multi-tasking, and processing new and complex information have taken a huge hit.

Specifically, I use to write 10page papers without hesitation and within a few weeks and now writing a page is a struggle. It was also common practice to read several books concurrently and I can barely get through one now.

I've read and been told that L-carnitine, B-12, and multivitamin may be beneficial but have yet to see an improvement myself. Perhaps, they are helping and I could be even worse...not sure.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I absolutely cannot take LDN at night. I would never sleep. I was taking it in the morning at 3
Mgs. Some people take it in the am because it disturbs sleep.

After several months I stopped because I got no benefit that I could tell.

ahmo

I've been using LDN nearly a year, 4mg. I found a significant boost to stamina. I can't comment directly re cognition, but I suspect that decrease in inflammation is what led to my increased stamina, and would/could also tend to boost cognition in the same way.

daisybell

I think that LDN has helped with my brain fog as well as my general stamina and energy levels. I have had a few hiccups but I believe that it is still helping me. I am currently taking 9mg daily, which I take in the early morning. I doubled up the usual 4.5mg dose because I felt that the effect had worn off. Every now and then, I take only 4.5mg for a day or two, following reports that varying the dose might help to prolong its effectiveness.... I've been on it for about 6 months now.

JamBob

The major benefit of LDN (4.5mg at night for 18 months) for me seems to be that it improves the quality of my sleep.

This in turn probably helps my cognition but I don't think that LDN itself improves my cognition - it's the sleep that helps me to be able to concentrate and pay attention.

funkyqueen

Hi all and thanks for your answers !

I do not know what to think about your answers, which are all different ... but thank you for giving me your feedback!

I also wanted to try as I read the testimony of some of FB ME / CFS sufferers, who reported enhanced cognitive ...
Some also said that this had reduced their pain, but I wanted to try primarily for cognitive.
Many also said that it prevented them from sleeping ...
(Already most ME / CFS including myself, have great difficulty getting to sleep) ...
And its true : its difficult trying to sleep with this drug , so i take it in the morning, now

So I started 2 weeks ago, today, I turn to 2mg
And then I tell myself that LDN is an immunomodulator, it can not hurt me to prioris;-)

I'll let you know, I hope that others will respond!

Take care !

Amaya2014

@daisybell I was so relieved that LDN was a med I could tolerate and my pain was significantly decreased. I asked one of my docs if I could increase the 4.5mg dose but she told me there was no evidence that higher doses were more effective. Did you get different feedback?

daisybell

@daisybell I was so relieved that LDN was a med I could tolerate and my pain was significantly decreased. I asked one of my docs if I could increase the 4.5mg dose but she told me there was no evidence that higher doses were more effective. Did you get different feedback?

My doc suggested I try the higher dose when I reported that the usual 4.5mg dose appeared not to be working as well any longer. For me, it seems the higher dose works better. I don't know of any strong evidence that 4.5mg is the optimum dose, but it is certainly a low dose!! Given that I can tolerate it well, after the initial side effects when I started it, I don't have worries about taking more. I still get the small capsules, but I just take two. My doc suggested that I could try one tablet twice a day or take them both together... I think that we are all so different that no two people respond exactly the same...

Two together in the morning seems to be what suits me best! I take them early, and then don't do much for the next couple of hours.

Amaya2014

Thanks! @daisybell. I'm going to try it and see if I have further benefit. Then I can probably make a case with my doc. I've been taking mine at night. I have insomnia that fluctuates even though I take elavil and Gabapentin (which makes me very sleepy). I'm going to try the LDN at morning to see if my sleep can get more stable.

daisybell

Thanks! @daisybell. I'm going to try it and see if I have further benefit. Then I can probably make a case with my doc. I've been taking mine at night. I have insomnia that fluctuates even though I take elavil and Gabapentin (which makes me very sleepy). I'm going to try the LDN at morning to see if my sleep can get more stable.
Good luck! I'll be interested to hear how it goes.