• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B vitamins "honeymoon" over...

PeterPositive

Hello,
the fading effect of B vitamins over time has been reported frequently by people here.
In my case it's not just about the folate/B12 combo, it is literally all of them.

Exactly 1 year ago I was slowly upping my dosages and getting significant help in terms of mood, energy, digestion etc... A couple of mgs of methyl-B12 per dosage would reactivate my cognition and provide some stamina, and 1/2 lozenge of sublingual B complex was also very helpful... at times even too much, with a bit of extra anxiety.

Fast forward to the last 3-4 months and all those effects have slowly faded away, to the point that these days they work more or less like sugar pills.

These days I can take up to 15mg of methyl-B12 and 5mg of methylfolate and get minor effects, if anything at all.

B6/P5P and B3/NADH also used to have very good effect and provide good support. Now they are as good as glass of water even at high doses.

I am really puzzled. Evidently I have replenished all possible deficiencies and there's nothing more to be gained? If that's the case I wonder why I feel worse than 8-10 months ago, where I might have allegedly been deficient.

I am wondering if folks here have had a similar experience and how they have interpreted the decline.

thanks

Mary

Moderator Resource
@PeterPositive - I don't know what to tell you. I think I've maintained the gains I got from starting methylfolate (was already on methylcobalamin) some 5 years ago and P-5-P about a year ago. I'm not improving any more, but I'm not backsliding either. Years ago I took NADH (had to take 20 mg. a day to get results) and it was fabulous for about 10 days and then it stopped helping me so I don't take that any more - too pricey with no noticeable results.

I presume you're on top of your potassium requirements? I have to take about 1200 mg. a day or else I get hit with fatigue from low potassium.

dannybex

Just guessing here Peter, but wondering (as I am in my own case) if in concentrating on b and other vitamins, if we may have depleted minerals or disrupted their ratios, especially trace minerals.

And with so many taking such high doses of mainly B12 and folate, I do wonder other b vits become depleted, like b2 and b3 (both needed in the krebs cycle), and especially thiamine, a deficiency of which almost mimics the symptoms of ME/CFS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beriberi

helen1

@PeterPositive I've been trying to figure out exactly the same thing. I think @dannybex is probably right - we're causing other deficiencies. I haven't yet been able to figure out which ones for myself. I wish freddd were back just to hear his ideas.

I'm trying extra B1 again next although I did try a week of loading it some months ago and seemed to get a small improvement. I stopped for fear of unbalancing the Bs.

Tammy

I have never felt comfortable taking a supplement every single day for long periods of time because of the possibility of creating deficiencies or imbalances of some sort as mentioned above.....thus I pulse and give myself complete breaks off supplements.

Last edited:

PeterPositive

@Mary @dannybex good point about mineral imbalances. I am going to investigate this in the next days. I having them tested in RBCs and serum.

Honestly I cannot say if I have any symptoms of mineral deficiencies. I take Thorne's Picmins every day for trace minerals but I don't do well on oral potassium or magnesium. In general, due to GI sensitivity, I can't take minerals that are dosed in hundreds of milligrams, if not from the diet.

@helen1
About other deficiencies in the B department, I don't know, at least in my case. My B complex daily dose has 25mg of active B1, B2 and 40mg of B3. I have experimented with not taking it vs. taking the regular dose vs. taking a double dose and have noticed very little difference, if any.

Cheers

Helen

So sorry to hear about your latest experiences. May I ask where you will get tested, in Italy or abroad at an lab available at the Internet? I am considering getting tested too, but as you say it should also be analyzis of the RBC´s.

PeterPositive

So sorry to hear about your latest experiences. May I ask where you will get tested, in Italy or abroad at an lab available at the Internet? I am considering getting tested too, but as you say it should also be analyzis of the RBC´s.
I am testing with the European Lab of Nutrients in the Netherlands.
They offer several mineral panels that include levels in RBC.

You can check the panels and price list in the left hand corner of their home page.
http://www.europeanlaboratory.com/

cheers

Helen

Thank you, I guess you get the tests requested by a doctor, or is there a way to order them by oneself? They don´t mention this as an option.

brenda

Yes I would say definitely from my own experience that assimilation of b vitamins particularly b12 depends on other nutrients and probably some we don't know about yet. I was unable to take any b12 at all even in beef without having severe mood swings, insomnia and IC flare.

Since I have been using a treatment (which is probably too far out for most of you :) ) which apparently delivers various vitamins and minerals direct to the cells in the form of frequencies, I can now take liver, beef and yeast flakes with no trouble at all. As I have been using a program that does not specify the vitamins I cannot say but for minerals I am using various ones.

PeterPositive

Yes I would say definitely from my own experience that assimilation of b vitamins particularly b12 depends on other nutrients and probably some we don't know about yet. I was unable to take any b12 at all even in beef without having severe mood swings, insomnia and IC flare.

Since I have been using a treatment (which is probably too far out for most of you :) ) which apparently delivers various vitamins and minerals direct to the cells in the form of frequencies, I can now take liver, beef and yeast flakes with no trouble at all. As I have been using a program that does not specify the vitamins I cannot say but for minerals I am using various ones.

Not to worry, nothing is too far out for me :)
I've explored all avenues, esoteric ones included. Can you tell me more about it?

PeterPositive

@PeterPositive Fyi I take this for minerals. Life Extension Only trace minerals. I do like the Pic Mins though because then I could cut out my selenium that I take separately.

http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Only-Trace-Minerals-90-Veggie-Caps/39328#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=Only trace minerals&rc=1381&sr=null&ic=1
Thanks. Good product, with a bit of copper to balance the zinc. At the moment I am taking copper separately as last time I checked I was low on it. This one might replace the PicMins but it lacks the Selenium.

Ninan

Haven't read the whole thread but I experienced a loss of effect for years. In the beginning I didn't need any other vitamins but I had to raise my B12 dose regularly to keep it working. Until one day it didn't work anymore. The key for me was getting the co-factors right, I must have run out of them. Now I have great effect again.

Haven't read the whole thread but I experienced a loss of effect for years. In the beginning I didn't need any other vitamins but I had to raise my B12 dose regularly to keep it working. Until one day it didn't work anymore. The key for me was getting the co-factors right, I must have run out of them. Now I have great effect again.
@Ninan can you please explain what you mean by 'getting the co-factors right'?

kel88

Hello,
the fading effect of B vitamins over time has been reported frequently by people here.
In my case it's not just about the folate/B12 combo, it is literally all of them.

Exactly 1 year ago I was slowly upping my dosages and getting significant help in terms of mood, energy, digestion etc... A couple of mgs of methyl-B12 per dosage would reactivate my cognition and provide some stamina, and 1/2 lozenge of sublingual B complex was also very helpful... at times even too much, with a bit of extra anxiety.

Fast forward to the last 3-4 months and all those effects have slowly faded away, to the point that these days they work more or less like sugar pills.

These days I can take up to 15mg of methyl-B12 and 5mg of methylfolate and get minor effects, if anything at all.

B6/P5P and B3/NADH also used to have very good effect and provide good support. Now they are as good as glass of water even at high doses.

I am really puzzled. Evidently I have replenished all possible deficiencies and there's nothing more to be gained? If that's the case I wonder why I feel worse than 8-10 months ago, where I might have allegedly been deficient.

I am wondering if folks here have had a similar experience and how they have interpreted the decline.

thanks
Yes the same here...
I have to take more and more to feel something!
Its i guess because low stomach acid!
I dont absorp anything anymore! Everytime i have to increase the dose to find a couple of weeks relieve but at this point my stomach is just as acid as water i guess and dont absorp thing anymore! Im also lost...