• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone get CFS after using stimulants?

Bdeep86

I was just curious because my CFS onset started after using amphetamine salts (adderall), While this and acute stress, not eating enough and vigorous exercise all played a hand. I haven't seen a lot of people cite this as being a player in their onset of CFS, some people even use adderall for symptoms. I am a believer in microglia priming being a major player in this. Just wanted to throw this out their and see if anyone else has a take on this.

adreno

PR activist
Just a guess, but it's possible that you have permanently downregulated your dopamine receptors. Amilsulpride is a dopamine antagonist, that might help restore the sensitivity of dopamine receptors.

leokitten

Stimulants such as amphetamines/meth/cocaine etc will ramp up your sympathetic nervous system and if used for a long time this will suppress part of your immune system which could then cause immune dysfunction, reactivation of intracellular pathogens, and eventually you could fall into ME/CFS if you have the predisposition. Of course not everyone who uses stimulants chronically will get CFS but some will. I think you would have to use stimulants for a long time to increase this likelihood.

Last edited:

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I had low grade CFS symptoms throughout my 20's but it became full blown CFS while doing methamphetamines in my 30's. In fact, it was triggered very suddenly one night, with the primary symptom being a burning sensation (Neuropathy?) that went throughout my whole body and lasted for several months. I still have some burning sensation but it's just mostly just confined to my legs now. I'm also plagued by fatigue, PEM and brain fog.

Last edited:

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
YES, I got CFS after using Provigil (modafinil) - which let me exceed my limits for years without crashing

halcyon

YES, I got CFS after using Provigil (modafinil) - which let me exceed my limits for years without crashing
Same. I don't believe it directly caused it, but it allowed me to weaken my immune system with sleep loss and then a viral infection did me in.

Bdeep86

Yes the adderall allowed me to plow through things and exceed where my body truly was. However, I think a major part of how these stimulants cause the ultimate onset of CFS is through chronically activating microglia.