• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Milk Thistle Can Raise Prolactin Levels.

Ema

I ran across this the other day and thought it might be applicable to many of us who take milk thistle for liver support.

If you have high prolactin levels, this might be a contributing factor.

More on high prolactin symptoms in this thread:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/high-prolactin-causes-severe-fatigue.24117/

Phytomedicine. 2009 Sep;16(9):839-44. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2009.02.007. Epub 2009 Mar 20.
Silymarin BIO-C, an extract from Silybum marianum fruits, induces hyperprolactinemia in intact female rats.
Capasso R1, Aviello G, Capasso F, Savino F, Izzo AA, Lembo F, Borrelli F.
Author information

Abstract
Breastfeeding is widely acknowledged to have important health benefits for infants and mothers. Milk thistle (Silybum marianum fruits) has been recently proposed to be used by nursing mothers for stimulating milk production; however, the mode of action of this herbal drug is still unknown. In this paper, we have evaluated the effect of a micronized standardized extract of S. marianum (Silymarin BIO-C=Piùlatte) on the serum levels of prolactin in female rats. A 14-day treatment with Silymarin BIO-C (25-200mg/kg, given orally) increased, in a dose dependent manner, the serum prolactin levels. Moreover, after a 66-day discontinuation of Silymarin BIO-C treatment, prolactin levels were still significantly elevated although we observed a trend to decrease that was counteracted by a further 7-day treatment with Silymarin BIO-C. Bromocriptine, a dopamine D(2) receptor agonist, (1-10mg/kg, os) significantly and in a dose dependent manner, reduced the serum prolactin levels; bromocriptine, at the dose of 1mg/kg, significantly reduced the high serum prolactin levels induced by Silymarin BIO-C. In conclusion, we have shown that an extract from S. marianum fruits significantly increases circulating prolactin levels in female rats; this effect seems to involve, at least in part, dopamine D(2) receptors.

PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
It can also have negative interactions with many drugs, so if you take it, use a drug checker to see if it interferes with anything you are taking.

Sushi

adreno

PR activist
For this reason I avoid silymarin, and instead use silybin phytosome.

Actually, I suspect quite a few herbals can probably increase prolactin. Herbals are pharmaceutically dirty, and often have hormonal effects.

Ninan

This probably explains why I get so much energy from silymarin. It elevates my already high prolactine, which decreases SHBG even more, which elevates testosterone. Explains why my PMS gets worse from silymarin too. Thanks for posting this, @Ema

Ninan

I thought that high prolactin would decrease testosterone :confused:
It does. But in my case it seems to lower SBHG. Low SBHG doesn't increase absolute levels increases the amount of unbound and active testosterone. I e normal testosterone levels but high effects form testosterone. Complicated stuff!

I'm waiting for more tests. Hope it will all make more sense soon. Thing is I'm a bit scared that lower testosterone will make me worse. :grumpy:

Gondwanaland

lower testosterone will make me worse.
Lower testosterone always makes me worse. In fact my health went downhill after taking warfarin which antagonizes Vit K, which is needed for healthy levels of T.

Edit-- In fact I get mixed result from Silymarin, and can't take it continuosly.

Ninan

Lower testosterone always makes me worse. In fact my health went downhill after taking warfarin which antagonizes Vit K, which is needed for healthy levels of T.

Edit-- In fact I get mixed result from Silymarin, and can't take it continuosly.
Are your testo levels normal or high? Mine are normal but SHBG/testo (or if it's the other way around) quote is 0,09, which means too much unbound testo. Should be <0,06.

Ninan

Ok. I'm thinking that since mine are high I won't feel so bad if I lower them. But that could be just wishful thinking, I guess. :rolleyes:

Went to see the endocrinologist to day, he suspects I have PCOS. They'll do an ultrasound to check my ovaries in August. That sure would explain a lot. And btw, my prolactine levels weren't high. They took the test three minutes after I woke up, that's why it came up high. The correct test showed normal levels.