• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Goldpharma sell fake drugs?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Noble Drugs (www.nobledrugstore.com) checks:

A Google search I did on this pharmacy found no scams, no frauds and no fake drugs reports connected to them, and that's good and very important.

Webutation gave them a 90% trust score, which is very good (60% or above is good).

Scamvoid gave them a reputation for: poor trustworthiness and poor vendor reliability, which is not so good.

Scamadviser gave them a low trust rating, which is not so good.

So on balance, Noble Drugs seem OK-ish as regards their reputation and reliability: they are not great, but not bad either.

Just tried those reputation sites for Goldpharma.com. Webutation had nothing, Scamvoid result was good, and Scamadviser result not so good which surprised me.

Hip

@MeSci
Webutation gives goldpharma 100%, see here.

Scamadviser is always a bit overcritical, so I would say that any overseas pharmacy that gets above 20% is acceptable on Scamadviser.

Scamadviser also takes into account whether a pharmacy has been classed as a "rogue" pharmacy, by the LegitScript organization, and this is not a good way of judging an overseas pharmacy, as LegitScript themselves are untrustworthy and shifty.

LegitScript are the people who have created this "rogue" classification for Internet pharmacies. So when Scamadviser says a pharmacy is "rogue," it just reflects LegitScript's categorizing for that pharmacy.

LegitScript will label any pharmacy that does not require a prescription as "rogue," no matter how good and reliable that pharmacy is. That is why LegitScript's are shifty.

Perfectly good, honest and reliable overseas pharmacies may be labeled as "rogue" by LegitScript.

LegitScript is I think backed by the pharmaceutical industry that don't like losing money to the generic drugs supplied by overseas pharmacies. LegitScript has closed down thousands of online overseas pharmacies, even some very good pharmacies that I used to order from.

As we all know, ME/CFS patients are often ignored by their doctors, as many doctors still do not believe ME/CFS is real, and this often means that these doctors will not prescribe the necessary drugs like antivirals to ME/CFS patients. So for ME/CFS patients, access to drugs without needing a prescription is vital.

More info on LegitScript:

LegitScript – Not So Legit?

Complaints about Legitscript

Last edited:

MeSci

It seems Goldpharma is only dispensing OTC medicines at the moment. Anybody have information on this?

It may depend where you are. I think that someone said they were no longer dispensing prescription drugs to the US without a prescription being provided by the buyer.

leokitten

Goldpharma.com medications are totally genuine, they are not fake whatsoever.

I've been getting medication from them for over two years and they are great, they have a much wider selection than the other online pharmacies people have mentioned on PR, they don't require a prescription, and they come directly from actual local pharmacies in Europe (you see when you get the packages).

All their medications are retail boxed, with blister packs that are completely genuine, yes they are the European brand or generic names of the same drugs here in the U.S. but they are made by the same pharma companies.

Trust me I know I lived in Europe for many, many years and pharmacies there don't deal with bottles and counting pills like they do here in the US. They give you retail boxes from the manufacturer because in Europe people are more wary of counterfeit drugs and want to make sure they are getting genuine medications. The boxes from Goldpharma are the same brands etc that I got from local pharmacies when living in Europe.

If it weren't for Goldpharma I would be in much worse shape than I am now, having that site available to allow me to buy medications and try many things (which PWME need) to see what worked and what didn't I felt so lucky.

Honestly I think people are going to get the wrong impression by this thread and thread title and I wish this were in a members only forum (@Sushi) because I don't want the wrong person to read this and causes problems for this pharmacy that many of us depend on. Most people will not read 5 posts into a thread to find out the truth.

Last edited:

leokitten

It may depend where you are. I think that someone said they were no longer dispensing prescription drugs to the US without a prescription being provided by the buyer.

This was only temporary, they made some changes to where their website is hosted a long time back and started selling to US customers again.

Dufresne

almost there...
Honestly I think people are going to get the wrong impression by this thread and thread title and I wish this were in a members only forum (@Sushi) because I don't want the wrong person to read this and causes problems for this pharmacy that many of us depend on. Most people will not read 5 posts into a thread to find out the truth.

I understand your concern but I think you might be underestimating the average PR user just a bit.

Agreed, they've always been reliable. However I have signed in and the only medications that pop up with searches are OTC. I believe they've suspended full access to their pharmacy for Canadians.

I received the following when I enquired about things:

Thank you for your email.
The online prescription facility is currently undergoing a review and in the interim is temporarily unavailable. We do apologize for the service disruption.

Kind regards
Daren
Customer support
Daren (CSR)

barbc56

Thank you for your email.
The online prescription facility is currently undergoing a review and in the interim is temporarily unavailable. We do apologize for the service disruption.

Kind regards
Daren
Customer support
Daren (CSR)

Possibly a review by law enforcement?

Barb

Last edited:

MeSci

I just looked, and when I did a search for a non-OTC drug (I think it is OTC in some EU countries but not the UK) nothing came up. But when I logged in, the usual drugs were listed. However, there was a red flag indicating the need for 'verification', but when I clicked on it it appeared impossible to find out what this meant or what I needed to do. Various personal/financial details had single-item drop-down labels saying 'requiring verification' or similar, but I was unable to take any action. Not sure if this was because I hadn't placed an order.

It could be devastating if they stop providing their usual services. Some people might be forced to turn to really dodgy sources.

barbc56

It could be devastating if they stop providing their usual services. Some people might be forced to turn to really dodgy sources

You could look at it another way. Maybe people would get prescriptions from their doctors. There's also the self medication issue.

Others may disagree with my statement and that's okay. But, for me, I'm sick and tired of all the scams where people get rich because people are sick.

Barb

MeSci

You could look at it another way. Maybe people would get prescriptions from their doctors. There's also the self medication issue.

Others may disagree with my statement and that's okay. But, for me, I'm sick and tired of all the scams where people get rich because people are sick.

Barb

You know from another thread that people often use these sites because they cannot get what they need from doctors. You should also know, unless you have forgotten, that people here have reported suffering much more harm from prescribed medications than from those they have bought. That includes me.

I am sure we are all sick and tired of scams, but I don't see what this has to do with trustworthy sites like Goldpharma.com and others cited in another thread. If people cannot use such sites, they may well end up falling victim to criminal sites, just as users of recreational drugs fall victim to drugs of unknown quality and strength due precisely to laws that force them to use the black market.

That is why it is beneficial to discuss which sites are reliable and which are not, as we are doing here and elsewhere.

I don't know what you mean by the 'self medication issue'.

leokitten

I've gone to the site and there are absolutely zero problems. For example go to goldpharma.com and then in the search bar search for 'celecoxib' and you will see all the results.

Sidereal

What's wrong with self-medicating? It has risks for sure but what's also risky is having no doctor who knows anything about ME (a situation most of us find ourselves in), sitting at home hand-wringing and passively waiting for death to come in an antidepressant and benzo-induced stupor thanks to some GP who knows less about the pharmacology of drugs he has hall monitor privileges over than my dog.

barbc56

You know from another thread that people often use these sites because they cannot get what they need from doctors. You should also know, unless you have forgotten, that people here have reported suffering much more harm from prescribed medications than from those they have bought. That includes me.

I stand behind what I said in the other thread. It's not personal. Any pharmacy where you can get medications without a prescription is morally reprehensible and in my opinion should be shut down and legally prosecuted. They are taking advantage of patients.

No one is saying medications don't have harmful side effects, but the odds are much riskier if you have no idea if the medications are adulterated, not stored or handled properly or possibly containing harmful ingredients which is not unheard of.
I am sure we are all sick and tired of scams, but I don't see what this has to do with trustworthy sites like Goldpharma.com and others cited in another thread. If people cannot use such sites, they may well end up falling victim to criminal sites, just as users of recreational drugs fall victim to drugs of unknown quality and strength due precisely to laws that force them to use the black market
How do we know this isn't a criminal site since they send medications without seeing a doctor or have a scrip?. Legitimate sites do exist such as the ones through my insurance where I can get a three month supply and it saves me a lot of money They are regulated and have quality control.
I don't know what you mean by the 'self medication issue
As you said patients may not get medication they need without these sites. Who says the medication is needed? Someone with the latest unproven theory to help us? If that, then I feel it falls under the category of self medication.
That is why it is beneficial to discuss which sites are reliable and which are not, as we are doing here and elsewhere
.I might buy that if others were writing about online pharmacies where you do need a prescription.

Let me make it clear that this is my opinion and I feel as consumers it's I see nothing wrong with presenting another viewpoint.

People can take or leave what I have said and make their personal choice.

This is really all I have to say about this issue.

Barb

MeSci

I stand behind what I said in the other thread. It's not personal. Any pharmacy where you can get medications without a prescription is morally reprehensible and in my opinion should be shut down and legally prosecuted. They are taking advantage of patients.

No one is saying medications don't have harmful side effects, but the odds are much riskier if you have no idea if the medications are adulterated, not stored or handled properly or possibly containing harmful ingredients which is not unheard of.

How do we know this isn't a criminal site since they send medications without seeing a doctor or have a scrip?. Legitimate sites do exist such as the ones through my insurance where I can get a three month supply and it saves me a lot of money They are regulated and have quality control.

As you said patients may not get medication they need without these sites. Who says the medication is needed? Someone with the latest unproven theory to help us? If that, then I feel it falls under the category of self medication.
.I might buy that if others were writing about online pharmacies where you do need a prescription.

Let me make it clear that this is my opinion and I feel as consumers it's I see nothing wrong with presenting another viewpoint.

People can take or leave what I have said and make their personal choice.

This is really all I have to say about this issue.

Barb

I see nothing wrong with self-medication. The drugs I buy on Goldpharma are available OTC in some countries. If I went to Spain, for example, I could buy at least one of them OTC, possibly all. As I have some Spanish blood, maybe I am not much different from the native Spanish!

One of the drugs is available OTC here, but just not in the strengths I require - I require a strength that is intermediate between those available OTC, so I buy it online.

I suffered for 7 years with a prescribed drug, including near-life-threatening illness that put me in hospital and rendered me too ill to run my business as I had been. Not a single one of the numerous doctors I saw during that time realised that the drug I had been prescribed shortly before I first became ill with it was the cause of my illness. The drug reduces blood sodium and fluids. I had hyponatraemia and dehydration.

o_O

Eventually it was I, with help from a radio programme and someone on here, who made the connection.

And you still think that only doctors know enough to prescribe meds and monitor people for side-effects?!

I'm sure I have told you this before.

Hip

You may not realize it, barbc56, but the get rich scam at patients' expense is actually the artificially elevated drug prices of Western pharmacies and pharmaceutical companies.

A lot of these lower-price but high quality online pharmacies like goldpharma.com etc are constantly being targeted and hassled by a bully boy organization called LegitScript, which I criticize at the end of the first post in this thread.

LegitScript was set up by Western pharmaceutical companies to make life as difficult as possible for online pharmacies selling cheaper genetic drugs made in non-Western pharmaceutical manufacturing plants.

Easy assess to lower-price generics from non-Western countries would eat into the profits of Western pharmaceutical companies, so they set up LegitScript to try to prevent this easy access.

LegitScript use all sorts of dubious legal tactics to try to get these lower-price online pharmacies closed down, or to restrict which countries they can mail pharmaceuticals to, or just generally cause trouble for these lower-price pharmacies.

LegitScript have caused problems for several online pharmacies I regularly use.

LegitScript is essentially a market protectionism device funded by the Western pharmaceutical industry, which tries to thwart fair competition between Western and non-Western pharmaceutical manufacturing services. This is against all normal fair competition policies.

Now I know that Western pharmaceutical companies have to recoup the high research and development investments they make into new drugs; and I know that in the USA in particular, pharmaceutical companies have to pay out very high amounts of legal compensation whenever a drug is found to cause severe side effects or death, and this is definitely one of the reasons why drug prices are highest in USA, even compared to Europe (the legal compensation awards to patients are not as high in Europe, or Canada of that matter).

So I can understand why Western pharmaceutical companies are worried about money, and don't want to see easy access to cheaper generic drugs from non-Western manufacturers.

However, don't try to tell me that it is the cheap online pharmacies that are engaged in a scam. It is much more the Western pharmaceutical companies and their bully boy LegitScript who are pulling a fast one here.

And remember that in many countries, drugs are available without prescription, so if the online pharmacy is based in such a country, depending on the exact details of the law, it is perfectly legitimate for them to sell drugs without a prescription.

Last edited:

barbc56

I suffered for 7 years with a prescribed drug, including near-life-threatening illness that put me in hospital and rendered me too ill to run my business as I had been. Not a single one of the numerous doctors I saw during that time realised that the drug I had been prescribed shortly before I first became ill with it was the cause of my illness. The drug reduces blood sodium and fluids. I had hyponatraemia and dehydration.

o_O

Eventually it was I, with help from a radio programme and someone on here, who made the connection.

And you still think that only doctors know enough to prescribe meds and monitor people for side-effects?!

I'm sure I have told you this before

If you remember, I had the same thing happen to me. I ended up in the hospital several times but at leasit it was known my sodium was low, took precautions if I had symptoms, knew when to go to the er where I practically had a standing order for an IV. My doctor eventually made the connection. Unfortunately, I just chalked up my symptoms to me/cfs and so delayed going to the doctor until I ended up in the ER.

Long story short, the medication interaction was reported to the CDC and because others reported the same thing there is now a warning about causing low sodium levels. I was switched to a different med. for the same thing but my sodium levels normalized.

This had to be excruciating for you. I can imagine how sick you were. If I remember correctly, your sodium levels were much lower than mine and of course, I was quite ill for a much shorter time.

So it may be a part of the medical system as far as what tests are given, the particular doctor, etc. etc, so many factors. In many ways it is a crapshoot. It could have gone the other way for me. I wish it had for you.

But I don't think, it would've led me to only buy medications on an online pharmacy.

Not a value judgement at all, as my point is that people can have similar experiences and come up with different solutions. :)

That's why I said others can take what they want or not from my post.

Take care.

Barb

MeSci

So it may be a part of the medical system as far as what tests are given, the particular doctor, etc. etc, so many factors. In many ways it is a crapshoot. It could have gone the other way for me. I wish it had for you.

Thank you. But please note what I said in my post:
Not a single one of the numerous doctors I saw during that time realised that the drug I had been prescribed shortly before I first became ill with it was the cause of my illness.

Not one doctor. Many, including a hospital consultant (senior doctor).

I have looked online several times since then to see if there are yet any warnings about hyponatraemia with ACE inhibitors. I can still hardly find any mention anywhere.

This appears to be the latest info given to doctors in the UK. There is still no clear, specific warning about hyponatraemia being caused by the drug, just a few references to salt and hyponatraemia in other contexts and with regard to concomitant diuretic use (and AFAIK these are still prescribed to patients also taking ACE inhibitors, despite it being dangerous to take ACE inhibitors when one is dehydrated - see this thread).

I was put on fluid restriction in hospital when I had hyponatraemia! I know that this is recommended in the case of overhydration, but I was dehydrated, which docs failed to recognise or acknowledge.

barbc56

Thank you. But please note what I said in my post:

Not one doctor. Many, including a hospital consultant (senior doctor).

I have looked online several times since then to see if there are yet any warnings about hyponatraemia with ACE inhibitors. I can still hardly find any mention anywhere.

This appears to be the latest info given to doctors in the UK. There is still no clear, specific warning about hyponatraemia being caused by the drug, just a few references to salt and hyponatraemia in other contexts and with regard to concomitant diuretic use (and AFAIK these are still prescribed to patients also taking ACE inhibitors, despite it being dangerous to take ACE inhibitors when one is dehydrated - see this thread).

I was put on fluid restriction in hospital when I had hyponatraemia! I know that this is recommended in the case of overhydration, but I was dehydrated, which docs failed to recognise or acknowledge.

There is no getting around the fact that what you went through was a horrible experience and it was inexcusable how you were treated.

I still don't understand why that would made you want to turn to online pharmacies. I would be surprised if they would have greater medical knowledge or would have caught this.

But for whatever reasons, it's your choice. Not my call.

I was just putting out some information with a different view, not telling others not to do it.

So I would like to leave it there . As I said before, I gave my view, have nothing else to say, but did want to answer your post.

Barb

ETA The medication I was on was not an ace inhibitor though, I am on one.