• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Introverted Anger" and MAO Genes

Changexpert

So many symptoms I have are very contradicting and one of them is anger management.

First of all, I have many defects in MAO SNP's and the combination of those defects make me inefficient at breaking down neurotransmitters. There are a lot of contradicting information on MAO defects. Some people say MAO defects contribute to inefficient breaking down of serotonin only. Some say it affects breaking down of catecholamines (epinephrine/norepinephrine/dopamine) negatively. Others say it slows down only serotonin and dopamine breakdown. Because of this, I am hesitant to make any definitive statements about MAO defect, but one thing I have realized from my experience is that I have lots of trouble with breaking down excess neurotransmitters in general.

For all my life, I have been an introvert, restoring energy by having my own time rather than socializing in a group of people. This is quite different from what people often say about MAO genes, aggressive warrior genes. Here's a kicker. Even though I have been an introvert all my life, I've had problem with anger burst from time to time. Small irritants or stimulants bother me quite easily, whether it be noise, smell, people's behavior, caffeine, or even weather. Fortunately, I am able to cope in most situations and hold onto my emotion. In rare occasions, the level of irritation goes beyond the threshold, caused by either one big event or a buildup of small events, and that is when my anger bursts. Instead of walking away from a situation or resolving it logically, I start yelling, which is the last thing you would want to see from me. I have a resounding deep voice naturally, so it is quite a scene to watch when I am yelling. :rolleyes:

There are some supplements that make this issue worse. For instance, high dosage of L-glutamine (8~15 g) made me extremely irritable. High protein and meat consumptions also do not help very much. On the other hand, magnesium, niacin (no effect from niacinamide), and melatonin make me tolerate irritants better. However, these supplements have too much calming effect almost to the point where I can barely get excited, happy, or aroused. I am still trying to find a workaround for this, but have not been successful yet. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

There is no doubt that defects in MAO genes are contributing to this sudden burst of anger, but the mechanism behind this phenomenon remains a mystery. I wanted to see if there are members on this forum who have similar issues. Is there anything that we can do to resolve this permanently? What is really going on? How do you wash away your agitation? Did any supplements help greatly? Please share your experience!

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

high dosage of L-glutamine (8~15 g) made me extremely irritable
My take here is that glutamine, in addition to turning into glutamate, stimulates WBC and RBC synthesis, channeling too much from your B2 and B6 resources.
B2 is needed to break neurotransmitters down. Not sure about the role of B6 (EDIT: just like the B2, B6 will use up Fe and Cu reducing their availability for anger neurotransmitters), but it is recommended for pyrroluria.

Last edited:

LisaGoddard

Hi, I really sympathize with you! I don't know my MAO SNPs but I am also an introvert who needs lots of time on my own and has bouts of anger. I'm kind of intense generally although I keep it in mostly.

I found that Freddd's methylation protocol really helped my emotions. The folate and methylB12 made me calmer and happier. It also has gotten rid off my social anxieties which I thought were just me, rather than being part of my ME illness.

Hope this might help.
Take care,
Lisa

PS I read in a mag at the doctor's surgery today that letting out your anger is good for your health. So I 'followed the prescription' and had an angry outburst with my husband. Not sure he thinks it is a good thing. I guess it is about finding ways to let it out constructively. Maybe in a room on your own or in prayer?

PennyIA

I've got some MAO issues and am an introvert and while I had a HORID temper when I was in my teens, twenties and thirties, it's better now in my forties (or maybe I'm just better at avoiding the situations???)...

Anyway... I tried lithium a few weeks back, and didn't think it did anything for me.

So, I stopped it.

The following week every time I turned around I was BITTERLY angry at every little thing. Every slightly irritating comment from a co-worker, my family, situations which I could normally take with a grain of salt? Was ticking me off to no end.

I'm trying the lithium again this week... and while I don't see an uptick in happiness (so not like it's a make-you-happy, ignore everything thing)... I'm so much calmer and more easily able to handle things. In fact, my coworker that ticked me off to no end last week? did something so much worse this week that our manager called him out on it... and it was irritating, but not to the point of tipping me over the angry line.

I'm not saying it's the thing that folks need to take nor recommending it... just sharing my story as it seems to help me with that irritability.

ahmo

Even though I have been an introvert all my life, I've had problem with anger burst from time to time. Small irritants or stimulants bother me quite easily
That's me.:whistle: I worked on my tendency to over-react all my adult life. It was magnified many times w/ ME. Following Yasko's recommendation I started Lithium, which was a big help to evening out mood swings, particularly on the sad side. A year ago I had a major adrenal clearing, after which I found a huge improvement in my irritability, a real shift in my baseline. Most recently I posted a blog re my *miraculous* response to FMN form of B2, seemingly quite directly to MAO. These improvements have included a much deeper inner state of calm.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@PennyIA - I'm really glad to see how much the lithium helps you. What dose are you taking? I take 5 mg. lithium orotate (Swanson Vitamins brand). It's supposed to help get B12 into the cells (and calm you down!)

PennyIA

I'm taking Lithium Synergy from Designs for Health - it's got 250 mg of methylcobalamin (not sure how helpful that is in a capsul), 200mg of TMG - which was also on my list to try out and the same 5 mg of lithium orotate that you are taking.

Like I said, I stopped it as I didn't notice anything while I was on it, it wasn't until I stopped and then restarted that it was obvious that it was helping to keep me calmer.

ahmo

what is a "major adrenal clearing"? I've never heard that term before. Also, what dose of lithium are you taking?
I'd been progressing slowly and gently with detox practice. Things were drastically ramped up when I discovered that green veggies were blocking methylfolate, and my increasing folate was stressing my adrenals. I stopped the veggies, and detox response was huge, and quite clearly centered on my adrenals. When the whole thing was over, I'd clearly dumped out some nasty toxins. This resulted in a quite real shift in my levels of irritability, agitation, low threshold for frustration, as well as more-or-less terminating my tinnitus. Now when I feel irritable, or tinnitus kicks in, I know it's time for coffee enema, to support adrenals. After that episode there were a number of supps I no longer needed, including TMG, threonine, some others. I'm using Ortho Biotics 10mg lithium orotate. I'm no longer testing + for it daily, more like every other day. At times I've used 1/2 cap / day.

Tunguska

Had this to extremes. Best temporary relief was a combo whose main players are probably R5P (sublingual), methylfolate and niacin. But included glutamine and proteins. Sometimes I still get some effect from them, sporadically. Uridine was similar but stronger, more focus than stress relief. NAC occasionally induced calm and reduced stress but no longer. Earlier in time omega-3 from fish (or just fish) and watching PUFAs was helpful after several months but no longer.