• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Probiotics, gut health and acidity...and eating kefir grains?

Bansaw

I had been doing [raw] milk kefir for a while and I think it was doing me good. There were no honestly vast improvements in health but my doctor did a stool test and was so impressed with my good bacteria he asked me to bring some kefir in for him.

I don't know if milk is good for me and I've looked at Kombucha. I tried Kombucha and it did affect me slightly adversely (felt slight fatigue/crash which I think was from a combination of the sugar and caffeine in it.)

I just got water kefir and am trying that. I tried my first sip last night and it did have a sugary taste to it (I did ferment it >48hrs - I am sensitive to sugar).
Anyway, I actually got water kefir to eat the grains themselves, not the water.
I am wondering if the kefir grains will pass straight through me, or populate the gut? The grains are concentrated probiotics.

Any comments? (I am convinced that poor digestion is part of why I feel fatigued. My absorption has been shown to be bad.)
ps: I am concerned about kefir water's acidity, - I don't know whether its alkaline forming tho.

Bansaw

Have you seen this thread yet?
Thanks, I didn't know about Miyarsian. I might give that a try.
A few years ago I caught Endemic Typhus in Africa and took an antibiotic regime to get rid of it that you would not believe. I think took care of the Typhus (and every other bacteria in my body). Now I feel I have to build back up.
I just wonder if taking clumps of kefir grains is a good idea...

Martial

Thanks, I didn't know about Miyarsian. I might give that a try.
A few years ago I caught Endemic Typhus in Africa and took an antibiotic regime to get rid of it that you would not believe. I think took care of the Typhus (and every other bacteria in my body). Now I feel I have to build back up.
I just wonder if taking clumps of kefir grains is a good idea...

Not sure about the Kefir grains in terms of being bad or beneifical over the water, however the probiotics like that one should help a lot.