• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Supplements doing wierd BP stuff

cman89

My BP normally runs around 120/80, and my HR from 50-68 resting. Whenever I take my Methylation supplements, B 12 especially, MY BP drops and HR raises. I notice the effects when I move around, and its like my heart has to catch up to the low BP. I thought adding these supplements was supposed to strengthen cardiac function. (Yes, I take potassium also) Can anyone give me some insight here?

PeterPositive

I normally have low BP ... when I am stressed it goes up to 120-80 :), often times it's 105-70 .
B vitamins don't seem to affect it in any way.

Potassium however is well known for its BP lowering effects. Maybe you have to find out the proper balance?
Have you tried stopping the potassium for some time, just to see if the low BP goes away?
Did you check if it is actually low BP, or symptoms mimicking it?

Martial

Low blood pressure with high heart rate can be from autonomic system dysfunction/ P.O.T.S. Sometimes a lot of symptoms can intensify as a way of healing paradox. Not 100% sure what is going on though. Perhaps the added potassium needs to be balanced with more magnesium, and sodium. Eating more sea salt will at least help bring the blood pressure back to better ranges. Try taking Transdermal Magnesium, keeping supplemented potassium between 1000-3000+mg a day, and adding more sodium in the form of sea salt. Potassium levels whether spiked lower or higher can also cause changes in nerve impulse, and heart rate. Get doctors approval first of course, none of us are doctors nor can condone medical advice.

(I say that last part all the time just because of legal reasons lol)

P.S. the RDA for Potassium is 4000mg a day. Magnesium is 400mg, 2300mg for sodium. Magnesium can only be absorbed and utilized so much at once, I often recommend trans dermal becuase it is much more bio available and immediate. You also absorb more then what is lost in the GI system.

cman89

Low blood pressure with high heart rate can be from autonomic system dysfunction/ P.O.T.S. Sometimes a lot of symptoms can intensify as a way of healing paradox. Not 100% sure what is going on though. Perhaps the added potassium needs to be balanced with more magnesium, and sodium. Eating more sea salt will at least help bring the blood pressure back to better ranges. Try taking Transdermal Magnesium, keeping supplemented potassium between 1000-3000+mg a day, and adding more sodium in the form of sea salt. Potassium levels whether spiked lower or higher can also cause changes in nerve impulse, and heart rate. Get doctors approval first of course, none of us are doctors nor can condone medical advice.

(I say that last part all the time just because of legal reasons lol)

P.S. the RDA for Potassium is 4000mg a day. Magnesium is 400mg, 2300mg for sodium. Magnesium can only be absorbed and utilized so much at once, I often recommend trans dermal becuase it is much more bio available and immediate. You also absorb more then what is lost in the GI system.
So how sold are you on the whole 'low potassium' symptoms in Methylation? How often do you think it truly occurs?

pogoman

My BP normally runs around 120/80, and my HR from 50-68 resting. Whenever I take my Methylation supplements, B 12 especially, MY BP drops and HR raises. I notice the effects when I move around, and its like my heart has to catch up to the low BP. I thought adding these supplements was supposed to strengthen cardiac function. (Yes, I take potassium also) Can anyone give me some insight here?

if you have had homocysteine related issues such as mthfr, B12 and folate help lower homocysteine and improves endothelial function which in turn may help lower blood pressure.