• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I got bit by a deer tick yesterday

Aerose91

I pulled a deer tick nymph out of me yesterday, awesome. I'm keeping a close eye in the bite and it's pretty red but no bullseye yet... however I know that's not there 100% of the time.

Is there anything I should be doing right away as precautionary measure?

brenda

I pulled a deer tick nymph out of me yesterday, awesome. I'm keeping a close eye in the bite and it's pretty red but no bullseye yet... however I know that's not there 100% of the time.

It's such a shame that the advice to keep the tick and send it off for testing is not better known.

Ticks carry more than just borrellia so I would not be waiting to start defence measures. Boosting the immune system is the first step with something like Echinacea and vitamin C. I would hit it hard and fast with whatever herbs you can hold of that are effective against Lyme & Co, maybe colloidal silver or perhaps consider starting antibx which you might have to buy yourself. The trick is to act quickly and assume that you have it imo.

Valentijn

The rash usually isn't a bulls-eye, even when there is one. A circular or oblong rash at a tick bite is likely to indicate infection.

Hanna

For a recent bite, you may seek for medical assistance from a LLMD (antibiotics for a month if I remember), in order to avoid complication. New bite can easily be solved in a month without requiring more attention. Ignoring the problem (symptoms may develop years later) may led to chronic lyme disease when the immune system is already compromised.
You may google Dr Hopf-Seidel for example :

upload_2014-7-11_12-52-17.png

or Dr Burrascano...

Be well

zzz

I agree; by far the safest course would be to assume you have been infected. Antibiotics can be very effective in eradicating the infection in its early stages; generally, the antibiotic of choice for early stage Lyme is doxycycline. You should definitely see a doctor. Although an LLMD is best, if there is none near you, a GP can furnish you with the necessary antibiotics to get you started.

soxfan

This happened to my husband and son last summer. They each found more than 8 ticks on them and a couple had been attached for more than 4 hours. When we got them off they both had redness.
We called the doctor the next morning and he put them both on Doxy for 3 weeks....The doctor had no problems giving them the medication...they are still fine.

This happened in NC...

Aerose91

I sent the tick to get tested today but who knows how long that will take. I asked my doctor but she is very anti-antibiotic so she didn't suggest it. I'm wondering if I should go to another doctor just in case though. I don't want to miss the boat...

zzz

Yes, this would be a very bad boat to miss, indeed. A lot of doctors don't realize that long-term Lyme disease even exists; your doctor may just be figuring that if you have a Lyme infection, they'll just clear it up when it shows up.

It's not her life she's risking. Play it safe, and see another doctor.

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I sent the tick to get tested today but who knows how long that will take. I asked my doctor but she is very anti-antibiotic so she didn't suggest it. I'm wondering if I should go to another doctor just in case though. I don't want to miss the boat...

Being one of those who had no clue I'd been infected--for decades!--I'd sure go to another doc. It is quite easy to treat when newly infected...later, much more difficult!

Sushi

Aerose91

Is there a time period, like a month, where if u get on antibiotics you're relatively safe? I'm wondering if I should wait to hear back about the tick. Since its a nymph I can't be certain its a deer tick

Valentijn

Is there a time period, like a month, where if u get on antibiotics you're relatively safe? I'm wondering if I should wait to hear back about the tick. Since its a nymph I can't be certain its a deer tick
No, it should be started immediately.

Taking the antibiotics immediately after exposure makes the difference between 2-4 weeks of oral antibiotics, and months of IV or years of oral antibiotics. I'd take the 2-4 of oral antibiotics - the alternatives after the infection sets in really aren't nice at all.

adreno

PR activist
Did you send the tick for testing? Were you ever treated for Lyme or other infections?

--

I got bitten by a tick 3 days ago, and I definitely have been feeling worse. No rash or fever as of yet, but still wondering what to do. I could send the tick for testing, but it will not tell me if I am infected anyway.

Antibody testing only works after 4-6 weeks, which is too long to wait for treatment. I guess the wisest course of action is simply to get my hands on some doxy and treat as if I'm infected. I'm not sick as a dog, but on the other hand I don't want to wait around until I am.

I talked with my friend who is regularly bitten by ticks. He said just the day before he was bitten 4 times, and he never noticed anything. So I feel I could be overreacting.

It can be hard to tell because we have ME and ongoing symptoms, and worrying about something can worsen them. But I do feel symptoms such as tachycardia, headache, sore neck glands, shakiness, low back pain and nerve irritation, which I presume could indicate an infection.

Would a standard WBC or ESR show something if there is an infection? I am really not looking forward to doxy eradicating my microbiome, if it could be avoided. Bastard ticks.

Last edited:

zzz

Antibody testing only works after 4-6 weeks, which is too long to wait for treatment. I guess the wisest course of action is simply to get my hands on some doxy and treat as if I'm infected.

Definitely the best course of action, especially since you're feeling worse. The tick borne diseases are so much easier to wipe out earlier than later.
Would a standard WBC or ESR show something if there is an infection? I am really not looking forward to doxy eradicating my microbiome, if it could be avoided.

Probably, but with our immune systems it's hard to say for sure, or when such reaction would kick in. I certainly stay away from antibiotics whenever possible, but the risk of Lyme or its relatives would seem to be a lot worse than the damage to the microbiome in terms of long term impact. It's basically the lesser of two evils.

Last edited:

Valentijn

@adreno - I think it's a good idea to send the tick off for testing. If you did get infected, it'll be nice to have the info regarding which pathogens it was carrying. It might simplify treatment quite a lot. Lyme isn't the only pathogen it can carry, and some of the others can be even harder to test for in you, such as Bartonella.

If the gut biome is a very big concern for you, IV antibiotics might be an option, but is likely to be far more expensive.

brenda

If the tick carries any infection then you have it. Your friend may have a strong enough immune system or he might have it anyway. You don't always get symptoms straight away.

If you get onto the right dose of doxy immediately, you are likely to kill it off within 28 days and each day you delay will delay the time it will take. I can't stress enough the urgency needed. Probiotics should protect you somewhat. After 28 days if the symptoms are gone you can go onto herbals for a few months to be sure. You have a window now of eradicating it and I would advise getting onto preventative herbals anyway after that if it is rife in your area.

adreno

PR activist
If the tick carries any infection then you have it.
That's not what I'm reading. Even if the tick is infected, the bacteria is usually not transfered, unless the tick is attached for at least 24 hours (which I don't think it was).

That said I have called the doctor this morning and waiting for a call back. I don't think they will prescribe more than standard dosing, however. I think that's 2x100mg for 14 days. Isn't that enough?

I've also started taking oregano oil as of yesterday.

Aerose91

Sorry to hear that man. I woukd agree with the others here in that getting on some sort of preventative measure woukd he a good idea. If you can't get doxycycline right away, herbals would help.
I sent my tick away to Stoneybrook institute in new York. They didn't end up testing it because they said it wasn't engorged even though it's mouth pieces weren't attached, meaning they were still in me. Would have been nice to know if it was carrying an infection or not

brenda

That's not what I'm reading. Even if the tick is infected, the bacteria is usually not transfered, unless the tick is attached for at least 24 hours (which I don't think it was).

That said I have called the doctor this morning and waiting for a call back. I don't think they will prescribe more than standard dosing, however. I think that's 2x100mg for 14 days. Isn't that enough?

That view is debatable. I would not take any risks knowing how hard it is to eradicate once it gets a hold (within the first few weeks - no-one can say for sure).

No that is not enough. I know that it is usually 200 mg 2x daily so you will need to buy some yourself, and for 28 days at the least, but there might be more up to date advice, using more or for longer. But get onto that dose asap. If the doc will not treat you will have to buy the lot yourself, but the advice is to do it.

adreno

PR activist
No that is not enough. I know that it is usually 200 mg 2x daily so you will need to buy some yourself, and for 28 days at the least, but there might be more up to date advice, using more or for longer. But get onto that dose asap. If the doc will not treat you will have to buy the lot yourself, but the advice is to do it.
Thanks for your input.

Is this the consensus here, that standard treatment/dosing is not enough, even in the early stage?