• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any diet that has helped you? Recipes?

Has any diet change been a big help to you with this condition? What foods do you eat that make you feel better? Any recipes you can share? Thanks

*GG*

I did the Ideal Protein diet via my Drs office, lost 40lbs! That was years ago, and it has nearly all come back :(

GG

WoolPippi

Has any diet change been a big help to you with this condition? What foods do you eat that make you feel better? Any recipes you can share? Thanks
Yeah, diet gave me the leg up to regain energy.
I skip anything that requires a lot of digestive energy or is undigestible. So: no nuts, no vegetable, no grains, no grasses, no leaves, no solid egg whites, no mais/corn, no tomato skins, no big portions.

I also keep a level blood sugar so: no fruit, no soda, no juice, no milk, no sugar, no sweets, no big pieces of protein, no big portions.

I eat: fish with a bit of rice and koriander. Chicken broth with a bit of sellery. Whipped cream with cacao powder. Herbal tea with salt. Sushi. Liver with a bit of onion. Lindt chocolate 85%. Fish with a bit of courgette/zuchinni and koriander. North sea shrimps with sour cream, wasabi and a bit of lettuce. "rosbief" with butter, wasabi and ginger. Lots of organic full fat butter. Runny egg yokes.

I do very well. Level blood sugar. Mild ketosis. Keeping a healthy weight. Getting the full spectrum of amino acids. Not needing any vitamins for digestion. And most important: I feel good, I enjoy my food and nutrition uptake is excellent.

Misfit Toy

Everybody has such different diets. What helps everyone depends on "their" body and gut. For me, it came down to food allergies. I was noticing a pattern of illness with milk products and gluten or cake like foods. Oranges made me itch and pears. So, I had allergy testing for foods and that helped me narrow it down.

I think it's really important to eat right and well and not stuff your face with pizza and junk, but some here and there should be okay, if you can eat those foods. I would give a pinky for a whole pizza. On my deathbed, that will be my wish..."Yes, I want an entire box of pizza and then some Lasagna please." Can't have that anymore....OMG>

When I gave up sugar, my inflammation went down and I had less pain and less spikes in adrenaline. That was good but so hard to do.

Some due to yeast, gut bacteria, etc.... add fermented foods and the GAPS diet, some go Paleo, some give up meat. It all depends. Eating fresh veggies usually works for me. I feel better. I also feel better with animal protein so becoming a Vegan, or Vegetarian will never come into my world.

It's up to what you need and what will work for you! :thumbsup:

msf

FODMAP, FODMAP, FODMAP...also cutting down on insoluble fibre, resistant starch and caffeine.

msf

Sorry, I'm not a good enough cook to make a FODMAP diet interesting to the palate, but there are recipes out there.

ukxmrv

Diet changes have not been a big help to me sadly. One of things that really did help was stopping putting my limited energy into trying new diets. Lost track of the number I tried and none were ever worth the investment of my time and money.

I try to stick to a high animal protein, lowish carb - and restrict whole grains, nuts, sulfurous veges and fibre as much as I can now. From this I get the most functioning I can from the least effort and avoid the worst of the terrible stomach problems I get.

msf

Have you tried FODMAP, ukxmrv? This has been far and away the most beneficial dietary change for me.

ukxmrv

I have MSF, thank you for asking.

The FODMAP diet good list contains many things that I react badly to. The bad list contains some food I can tolerate. So I cut my already limited diet when I follow this.

With FODMAP my already limited diet becomes more limited and it returns no benefits over time above what I already do.

It's sad and frustrating. The major stomach problems I have started with a bad dose of food poisoning and this means that food I could tolerate before then causes severe diarrhea now 5 years after. Quite a few foods on the FODMAP good list cause this still. There are some foods that I can eat once or twice a week so if I limit the variety in my diet and eat these I lose the tolerance.

FODMAP over time didn't improve either my stomach problems or my ME or give me any more energy or functioning sadly.

msf

Sorry to hear that. It has also made my diet quite limited, but I have gone from having the same symptoms (with the same cause) as you to having normal digestion. I don't know what diet you tried exactly, but mine is basically rice, potatoes, hard cheese, meat and fish and soy milk (for manganese, etc). I will try to work more foods into it, if only for variety, but even if I can't, eating the same food everyday beats going to the toilet all day!

Everyone here says nuts are hard to digest but I find some of them easy to digest.
The basis of my diet is almond butter and I eat quite a lot of walnuts. I occasionally make raw cakes out of them.

I believe that apart from a common thing of getting rid of wheat, and junk food , everyone needs a different diet.
I'm not sure that you will be able to find a clear concensus of what diet you should try.

When my digestive system is in a real mess I take a chicken soup made out of: chicken with bones, pumpkin, courgette, parsley, salt+pepper, leek, (can't digest cooked onion, so I take leek instead.)
It tastes repulsive but it soothes my stomach more than anything else. Homemade Chicken soup is one of the few things that I think helps most people.