• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immune Renew

PeterPositive

Hello,
is anyone familiar with this herbal product?

I126018.gif

My doc suggested it as a support for the immune function. I have taken it for 7-8 days and have had a worsening of constipation, drop in energy and lots of flu-like symptoms. The latter in particular is exactly what I was looking forward to avoid / eliminate :)

It could be pure coincidence, so I stopped it for a few days and symptoms have diminished. I am planning to retry in a few days and see if those symptoms return.

Ingredients are:

imm-renew-ingr.png

I am usually not a big fan of herb blends, because I typically find one (or more) ingredients that bother me (especially GI) and I can't determine which is which. Typically I prefer to test each herb individually.

Has anyone tried this supplement?
Any specific comments on any of the ingredients?

Thanks

Attachments

• imm-renew-ingr.png
    imm-renew-ingr.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 4

adreno

PR activist
I haven't tried this specific supplement, but I do not tolerate medicinal mushrooms, either. Astragalus I do tolerate.

PeterPositive

I haven't tried this specific supplement, but I do not tolerate medicinal mushrooms, either. Astragalus I do tolerate.
Indeed many are mushroom extracts.
I remember having had problems years ago with digestive enzymes derived from aspergillus, but I have no idea what could be the problem with mushrooms in general. Maybe there is a connection / interaction with the gut bacteria...

helen1

I've used several of the ingredients - reishi, astragalus, lion's man and cordyceps as part of a c.pneumonia protocol. The reishi and astragalus info is from Buhner's compilation of studies. I can reference them in more detail if you want:

Cordyceps is a systemic antibiotic, although there's some controversy over whether it's immune suppressing or stimulating and is sedating.

Lion's mane is a another systemic antibiotic. There's pretty good evidence it's a nerve growth factor stimulator. I've seen it used in Lyme protocols to get spirochetes out of the brain as it crosses the BBB.

Reishi is a very strong immune stimulator with evidence it increases T cells, macrophages, NK cells, is diuretic, mildly sedating, inhibits candida and herpes, mitogenic.

Astragalus is immune stimulating especially the TH1 side and inhibits TH2. Very specific studies on this. Inhibits Cocksackie B.

Can you see anything in here that might explain your symptoms?

Die-off comes to mind...

PeterPositive

Can you see anything in here that might explain your symptoms?

Die-off comes to mind...
Yes, that or simple coincidence, which I can't exclude.
Today I have taken it again and no problems. Will see how it goes in the next days.

Unfortunately the supplement doesn't provide details of the dosage of each components.

Thanks for the detailed response!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I'm intolerant to mushrooms, come up every time I have any sort of testing, not sure why, just one of those things. If it makes you feel worse I think your body is saying noooo.

helen1

@PeterPositive
Often die-off symptoms are delayed by a day or so (from experience with my and others on c.pneu protocol) so I'm curious how you'll feel tomorrow. If you are killing off something, then that's a good thing as long as you don't overwhelm your body with both the die off and the cytokine response.
Any idea what infections you might have?

PeterPositive

@PeterPositive
Often die-off symptoms are delayed by a day or so (from experience with my and others on cpn protocol) so I'm curious how you'll feel tomorrow. If you are killing off something, then that's a good thing as long as you don't overwhelm your body with the die off and cytokine response.
Good point.
When I started I didn't have any symptoms for at least a couple of days... we'll see :)