• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stopped the Progesterone But Still Feeling Awful.

Misfit Toy

I stopped the Progesterone this past Monday. So, it's been 6 days. I still feel awful. I have crashed. I feel an intense depression. Plus, my sleep is crazed. I feel like I dream all night and if it's not that, I have songs running through my head even as I am trying to sleep. No energy. Bathing is actually an issue.

Today is Mother's Day and I will not be seeing my mom today. I have been too sick for almost anyone or anything. We had a huge fight on Friday. I am not well enough to be talking to her as she has dementia and can't seem to grasp how sick I am right now. No one can. She said to me, "I don't think we should talk anymore." I felt sadness and relief. She wants to hear a happy, energetic daughter. She said that all that we talk about is my illness. Yes, because I am quite sick and because she is so old, she doesn't get out and has nothing to really talk about herself. It's all up to me to bring the rainbow.

I am under water. Plus, I have had two days of horrible allergies. Food allergies that have made me so sick. I am not even sure what I ate that has done this kind of damage.

My whole system is a mess. It's completely upside down.

I should mention I also give myself shots of magnesium and taurine in my tush. I have not felt like they are harming me, but who knows. They help my pain, but maybe they are doing something to my brain. Not sure.

Also, just looked up proper dose of progesterone. I was on 90 mg, too high, but my doc wants me now on 50 mg. Everywhere I am reading, it says a perimenopausal woman should be on 20 mg and no more than 30 mg unless you are severe. So, even what my doc wants me on is too high. I just spent $35.00 on this. This is so confusing and nuts.

********UPDATE********

I spoke to my doctor and he wants me to go on 10 mg of pregnenolone. he says it should help to calm things down. Will have saliva test during next cycle. He is so hard tor reach but took an emergency phone call on Mother's Day. I feel like I have no help with hormones, which is why I never want to do this. Regular GYN's that I have seen do not believe in progesterone cream and want to put me on Depo Provera and then ND's you can't reach or they don't get back to you. Hormones are like dealing with a needle in a haystack.

For well people, it is fine to mess up their hormones a tad, they will go back to normal. For us, it can cause such a downfall. It's a no win situation.

Last edited:

WoolPippi

I'm so sorry you're going through this :(
hormones wrecking your mood is terrible!

please know that this is not you. How you're feeling, mentally, is not you. Do not trust your feelings or the trains of thoughts you have.
Just hang on, keep ploughing forward, until things clear up and you resurface again. Just be stubborn and wait wait wait until enough time passes for this to go away.

The doses you and your doctor talk need to be put in perspective. Are we talking oral pills, creme or injections?

Creme and injections go into the body directly, without bypassing the watchful eye of the liver.
For this type 10 mg is the normal dose a human being uses per day. Male or female.
Perimenopausal and non-menopausal women supplement according to where they are in their cycle.
60 mg is what a pregnant woman needs. So that's about the scope of things: a body needs between 10 and 60 mg Progesterone per day, depending on sex and wether or not you're building another human being inside.
If you are taking Progesteron in a creme or injection and are taking doses of 90 mg per day or 50 mg per day that is way too high.

If you are taking oral pills then it's a whole other kettle of fish. Oral pills get decimated by your liver (in normal, healthy people!) and only 10% of its contents reaches the blood stream. So a pill of 90 mg will only yield 9 mg to the body. That's not even the 10 mg a person needs per day.
If you are taking an oral form of Progesteron then doses of 90 or 50 mg per day are nowhere sufficient to supply your body with the basic 10 mg per day the adrenals need to run things. And you're not even touching the extra amount a woman'd need to balance cyclic hormones such as estrogens.

So: are taking your Progesteron oral or not? And: is it body-identical in molecular structure? Because any other type will have side effects.
Normal symptom of Progesteron overdose is ultimate sleepiness. One you cannot fight.

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way :( it's awful. But it will pass. It will. Be stubborn.

Misfit Toy

@WoolPippi -thanks for your response. I appreciate your knowledge. I was on progesterone cream-90 mg daily. I was having horrible migraines at the time of mencses and then my endometriosis was acting up at ovulation too much.

I just talked to doctor. he wants me to stay off of any progesterone. I told him I thought his next idea of 50 mg of cream was too high. He didn't necessarily agree, but I think it's too high. He said he would put me on 25 mg. I wrote more above on my original post. I have no help ever with hormones because I have never found anyone who is skilled in this area. Which, is why I stay away from GYN's because they, for me, are the worst offenders of all.

Example; told in 2012 by an infertility doc that I was heading straight into menopause and that I had premature ovarian failure..oh, really? Still getting my periods. I hate GYN's. They suck. Then, the next 2 GYN's told me I am too young for perimeno (44 going on 45) even though I am having hot flashes, migraines for days at time of period and insomnia and night sweats where I am absolutely soaked. I trust none of them.

He wants me to go on pregnenalone. 10 mg a day to help with the side effects of what the progesterone has done. I feel like I am messing with fire.

One of the biggest problems I am having here is that it is effecting all of my relationships, as I am not my self at all. I feel nuts and depressed. I am obsessive. So, I am hoarding up in my room and refuse to speak to really any one because no one gets it. But, I am not right and a switch has been flipped.

Last edited:

WoolPippi

I am so so sorry

@WoolPippi Then, the next 2 GYN's told me I am too young for perimeno (44 going on 45) even though I am having hot flashes, migraines for days at time of period and insomnia and night sweats where I am absolutely soaked. I trust none of them.
Quacks. The pair of them.

All glands go south after age 25 so perimenopause can start as early as 36 and menopause at 40. You have symptoms!

@WoolPippiHe wants me to go on pregnenalone. 10 mg a day to help with the side effects of what the progesterone has done. I feel like I am messing with fire.
You are.

my symptom of too much Progesterone is the usual: it gets converted into Pregenanolone and I get very very sleepy. Pregnenalone beats barbiturates when it comes to sleeping aids, a 100 times in strength.

As you have no way to control how Pregnenalone converts you'd be easily adding Progesterone or Estrogens to your body.
Oooh, what is wisdom in this? I don't know. Your hormones ARE out of order and something needs to be done. But what?
In any case: start low and start slow. 5 mg or 2 mg is just as well. To try things out. Get a feel for if this becomes you or not.
The only other way I know to balance hormones is physical activity because somehow moving vigouriously evens out the bad chemical things. Yeah... how we're going to do that when we're both PWME :s

@WoolPippi
One of the biggest problems I am having here is that it is effecting all of my relationships, as I am not my self at all. I feel nuts and depressed. I am obsessive. So, I am hoarding up in my room and refuse to speak to really any one because no one gets it. But, I am not right and a switch has been flipped.

You WILL get back to your normal self. In time.
In the mean time you're a 44 yo raging hormonal teenager with a PMS from the dark side of the moon... everybody outa da way!

WoolPippi

btw I just remembered: I get raging symptoms when I'm low on vit D. I need to get 4000 IU per day to not get gnarly outwards and desperate inwards.

Misfit Toy

@WoolPippi - THANK YOU. We shall see....ugh.

I take 5,000 IU a day of vitamin D a day and you know how people claim it's the greatest...I have never noticed any difference at all. NONE.

Yeah, I am now on the fence...I was on it before but I was also on so many hormones and I became crazed and for about a year. I think I should just ride this out.

Again, thank you!

Progesterone is fat soluble. It prob accumulated. Maybe give it a few.more days to clear and a.few more also for the hpa go back to homeostasis.

Misfit Toy

Thanks, xptriado...I think it will take weeks. Not sure, but that is my sense of my body. Plus, in one week, due for period...so, more craziness.

Im not sure it helps but drink a lot of water and sweat...maybe a sauna or sports if u have the energy. Maybe it accelerates the process. Well, just some random idea.. Good luck

L'engle

moogle
Hang in there! You know your body, the doctors don't. I would probably try to find a show and just obsessively escape into it to get away from your thoughts! Something with lots of seasons and lots of episodes per season. Good luck!