• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WHO Issues "Best Practices" For Naming Diseases

Gemini

"A disease name should consist of a generic descriptive term based on symptoms..., who is afflicted... seasonality,,,, and severity.... "

"Disease names, the WHO said, may not include geographic locations, people's names, species of animal or food, references to culture, population, industry or occupation, and 'terms that incite undue fear'".

"The news was welcomed by officials who had seen the damage that a disease name can cause."

Announced by Dr. Keiji Fukuda WHO assistant director general for health security (NY Times 5/9/2015)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/09/h...litical-correctness-in-new-disease-names.html

Denise

I have not read the New York Times piece (yet) but I did see the WHO press release on this yesterday (http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/notes/2015/naming-new-diseases/en/).

In part it says:
"The best practices apply to new infections, syndromes, and diseases that have never been recognized or reported before in humans, that have potential public health impact, and for which there is no disease name in common usage. They do not apply to disease names that are already established."

I dare say this statement is political and is to do with the whole SEID/ME/Ramsay's disease debate
I doubt it ... SEID is purely an American term and issue at this point, whereas WHO is a very international organization.

More likely is that the IOM committee knew about the upcoming requirements, or at least the preferred conventions, and chose to follow them.

Last edited:

worldbackwards

How so? SEID conforms to using the unique descriptive symptom in naming it, and the systemic nature. I don't think WHO is suggesting that every descriptive term should be used - every disease would be a full paragraph if they tried that :p
Oh, just me not actually bothering to read what I'd quoted :)

Denise

These best practices announced by WHO refer to the naming of newly identified human infections, diseases, syndromes, not diseases already named.

From the New York Times piece:
"It emphasized that the recommendations “do not apply to disease names that are already established...”"

Worth noting - ICD will still determine the final technical names of new diseases.

These best practices announced by WHO refer to the naming of newly identified human infections, diseases, syndromes, not diseases already named.

From the New York Times piece:
"It emphasized that the recommendations “do not apply to disease names that are already established...”"
You're right. "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" is already established in the US, so I guess people could argue in favor of keeping that if they really wanted to.

Denise

You're right. "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" is already established in the US, so I guess people could argue in favor of keeping that if they really wanted to.

I am not sure this press release applies to us as the disease has already been described.
I want the term "chronic fatigue syndrome" to be abolished.

caledonia

Fukuda (whose name is associated with the 1994 chronic fatigue syndrome case definition) - how ironic!

Since ME and CFS are both established names, they wouldn't fall under this rule. It seems like SEID or a future new name based on research would have to follow the rule, but it's a little unclear as it's still describing an old disease with established names.

wastwater

Call it ED Energy deficiency maybe or Energy deficient state (EDS)

Last edited:

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
You know what bothers me about this?

The original name for HIV/AIDS fits the guidelines.

CFS fits the guidelines.

There is concern about stigmatizing places, trades, occupations, and concern about scaring patients, but no concern about stigmatizing patients.

wastwater

Aquired Energy deficient state AEDS maybe. Inherited energy deficient state IEDS that's nearly SEID

Last edited: