• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Travel Vaccinations

Journeyman

Hi all,

After almost 2 years on my methylation protocol I've made some great improvements in my thinking and energy levels. However I have an upcoming travel committment near the end of June which will see me having to travel to Thailand. I'm fairly health conscious (like most of you) and so feel it wise to get the mandatory vaccinations that Australia recommends for travel to Thailand, however I'm really concerned about the toxic metal exposure (particularly Aluminium Hydroxide) which is present in all the vaccinatinos that have been recommended for me. Thankfully none of the vaccinations have thiomersal (a known neurotoxic adjuvant) however they all have aluminium hydroxide at dosages that vary between 0.25mg and 0.5mg.

At present I've lined up the lowest Aluminium Hydroxide content ones to immunize Hep A, Typhoid and Hep B which will be:
Vivaxim (0.3mg alum Hydrox) (combined Typhoid/HepA vaccine)
Engerix (0.25mg alum hydrox) Hep B vaccine
Boostrix (0.5mg Alum Hydrox) Diptheria/Tetanus/Pertussis all in one vaccine.

All of them are one off but for Engerix which would involve 3 injections over 0, 1 and 6 months if I follow the prescribed dosage schedule (combined / repeated alum hydroxide exposure anyone???)

Does anyone have any advice on the neurotoxicity of these vaccines or indeed any good alternatives that I might suggest to the Dr? also, would it be wise to take a heap of chelation supps concurrent to the vaccinations to minimise crossing of the blood brain barrier (eg: Chlorella)

Look forward to your thoughts...

adreno

PR activist
Good questions. Hep B seems to be the one most associated with ME.

You might try silicon, as it is known to bind to and remove aluminum from the brain.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
If it were me I would make sure I really needed them - tourist travel shouldn't put you at risk of Hep b, unless you plan on having unprotected sex with a local or injecting drugs. You can always take your own medical emergency kit - available from travel centres which contain needles etc. Hep B is only transmitted through body fluids and blood of an infected person. Unless you are an aid worker, some of these may not be necessary.

Have you had Diptheria booster in the past 10 years? if so you wont need it again.

I had a Hep B vaccine before getting ill for midwifery training and I don't think it did me any favours health wise - but that is anecdotal obviously.

Good luck.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I had Hep B in case of needlestick accidents, and it wasn't good for my health. As was said, it's one of the more common inoculations cited as being associated to onset or bad flares. Some people suggest it might simply be more memorable (as it's not a routine jab).

TDaP also did me no favors. But diphtheria is foodborne/waterborne, and not something to trifle with. Pertussis (whooping cough) is by droplets, if I recall correctly, and is also considered a severe disease.

Travel sounds exciting. :) Best wishes and hope you have fun.

sarah darwins

Just an anecdote, which is vaguely relevant, but still ...

About 20 years back, I was about to head off on a 12-week solo cycling tour round Spain and Portugal, starting in the Pyrenees (lazy bunch, us folks with ME, right?). I decided I ought to check with my GP for any advisable jabs, and he said the only one really necessary was a tetanus booster, especially as I might have the odd scrape along the way.

So, I went down to the surgery, the GP himself gave me the jab, and I left. When I got home, there was a message from the doc saying "Please come back!"

Eek.

I got back down there and he said he was ever so sorry, but he'd given me the Typhus jab by mistake. All credit to him for owning up. So I got the tetanus jab. And two days later I set sail form Plymouth, me and my bike, for Spain.

During the voyage, my arm swelled up like crazy and I developed a fever. I spent the next 3 nights in a cheap room in Santander nursing myself through a major fever episode. The room was owned by a Jehovah's Witness lady who spent the whole time trying to convert me in Spanish while I was semi-delerious — I can't tell you how weird that was. I'm pretty sure the fever was a reaction to the typhus jab. It took a week for my arm to return to normal.

This was some years before I got ill with ME, but it's made me cautious about getting jabs (and asking to see the vial before they stick me!) ever since.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Good questions. Hep B seems to be the one most associated with ME.

You might try silicon, as it is known to bind to and remove aluminum from the brain.
I've not heard of silicon as a chelator of any kind? any links?

Journeyman

If it were me I would make sure I really needed them - tourist travel shouldn't put you at risk of Hep b, unless you plan on having unprotected sex with a local or injecting drugs. You can always take your own medical emergency kit - available from travel centres which contain needles etc. Hep B is only transmitted through body fluids and blood of an infected person. Unless you are an aid worker, some of these may not be necessary.

Have you had Diptheria booster in the past 10 years? if so you wont need it again.

I had a Hep B vaccine before getting ill for midwifery training and I don't think it did me any favours health wise - but that is anecdotal obviously.

Good luck.
Theres definitely a common theme even in this small sample size to suggest that Hep B is a potentially a real problem with anyone suffering methylation issues. It would be most helpful to know the typical kinds of Genetic SNP mutations associated with the sufferers from this vaccine. Mine are in my sig - where are yours? :)

justy

It would be most helpful to know the typical kinds of Genetic SNP mutations associated with the sufferers from this vaccine. Mine are in my sig - where are yours?
I don't know my SNPs - never looked into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

justy

It would be most helpful to know the typical kinds of Genetic SNP mutations associated with the sufferers from this vaccine. Mine are in my sig - where are yours?

sorry don't know why it quoted so many times and cant seem to remove them!

I don't know my SNPs - never looked into it.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
@sarah darwins I too was really ill after the typhoid vaccination. Very swollen arm, unable to walk, bedridden for days. This was decades before becoming ill with ME/CFS. My sister had a similar reaction.

I was also bedridden after a tetanus booster. Again decades before becoming ill. And always reacted to flu vaccinations.

I have recently decided not to have a booster vaccination for tetanus, diptheria and whooping cough. This was required if I am to visit new babies in my family. I decided to wait until they are vaccinated before I have contact with them.

@Journeyman My SNPs are listed in an earlier thread by me. Identified methylation and detox problems.

Last edited:

Journeyman

If you absolutely must get them, do it long before your trip. You want your immune system to go back to normal from the adjuvants before you start the trip.
I've got 6 weeks left and am scheduled to get them in 1 hour from now. I've taken a strong dose of methylation supps this morning including a double dose of ALA - Am planning to take a heap of chlorella before I go in so that any toxic metals are bound as soon as they enter the bloodstream.... Any other quick tips anyone? better to stop them before they get in right?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Any other quick tips anyone? better to stop them before they get in right?
If there are any vaccinations that you really, really don't want but are required to get, there are homeopathic antidotes to some of them. I used to do a lot of international travel and had to get lots of vaccinations that, looking back, may have impacted my immune system.

Sushi

Journeyman

So, here I am its 8 hours since I had my Vivamax (Hep A and Typhoid vaccine in one) with plans to go back and get Boostrix (Diptheria/Pertussus/Tetanus) in a few weeks time at which point it will then be 3 weeks before I depart for Thailand.

I took a heap of Chlorella an hour before the vaccination and then a heap more with coriander about 2-3 hours afterward, and then finally a tablespoon of turmeric with a teaspoon of black pepper about 5 hours after the vaccination. I'm wondering about whether I should take anything else such as Alpha lipoic Acid or CoQ10 (which I plan to take tomorrow morning as part of my usual methylation protocol) Anything I should be aware of with this plan? Have I done the right thing?

Regards

Journeyman