• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Diet for low animal protein and low sulfate? I don't know what to eat

renerdrat

Every teardrop is a waterfall
So Ive been cutting back my animal protein and sulfate consumption cuz of some cbs mutations ... but I'm having a hard time with what exactly I should eat... Does anyone have a good link to some kind of guide to follow or maybe some tips for what kinds of meals or food you eat? When I google I mostly just find foods to avoid.. which is fine but I need some ideas for foods I should eat, especially vegetables, seems like everything has sulfates in it.

I've been wondering too.. is cutting meat and sulfates out of your diet actually worth it? I haven't seen many people reporting that they felt too much better, at least with eliminating sulfates, then again I may be wrong. Like animal protein okay, but sulfates too? Is there really enough scientific data to back that theory up?

Thanks in advance.

Valentijn

So Ive been cutting back my animal protein and sulfate consumption cuz of some cbs mutations ... but I'm having a hard time with what exactly I should eat... Does anyone have a good link to some kind of guide to follow or maybe some tips for what kinds of meals or food you eat? When I google I mostly just find foods to avoid.. which is fine but I need some ideas for foods I should eat, especially vegetables, seems like everything has sulfates in it.

I've been wondering too.. is cutting meat and sulfates out of your diet actually worth it? I haven't seen many people reporting that they felt too much better, at least with eliminating sulfates, then again I may be wrong. Like animal protein okay, but sulfates too? Is there really enough scientific data to back that theory up?
There's no real evidence of the Yasko CBS variations causing sulfur problems. The research indicates that only one of those SNPs even has an impact, and it's a mild and beneficial one. Some people do feel better avoiding sulfates, but it doesn't seem to matter what their CBS SNPs are.

If it makes you feel better, then it might be worth doing. But if it's not having any noticeable impact, then it doesn't make any sense to stick with it. Restricting protein intake can also make some of us feel quite a bit worse.

I know we are all different and all experience this illness differently but when I reduced animal protein and sulphur I became very poorly and developed all manner of new symptoms, including gout .

It has been about 5 months since I reverted back to more protein and sulphur and am still not back to the position I was before.

I tried it because of Yasko's methylation protocol and it definitely backfired for me. I guess we have to remember to try all things moderately but when there is fairly compelling evidence that maybe a few dietary tweaks could make all the difference I am guilty of having, hopefully only ever historically from now on, gone at it too severely.

Dr.Patient

There is no kinship like the one we share!
Eating any non-veg makes me worse. I'm better when I don't eat animal protein.

renerdrat

Every teardrop is a waterfall
Thanks for the responses, I've been cutting back on animal meat, if I do eat it, it's only a small amount I think it does seem to be helping.

WoolPippi

Thanks for the responses, I've been cutting back on animal meat, if I do eat it, it's only a small amount I think it does seem to be helping.
hi, I eat small amounts of animal protein and feel better for it too.

Mostly egg yokes (2 per day) and some chicken in my chicken broth.
I also stay away from sulphur foods and end up with: celery in my broth; zucchini/courgette; pumpkin; rice and lettuce.
That's pretty much it, it's a very limited diet. I do eat lots of butter and some full fat cream. I make custard and ice cream.

My sources are ketogenic diets for epileptic kids + no sulphur because of stomach cramps. I feel better eating like this. I do miss pizza etc.