• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potassium Depletion with B12

cman89

Can anyone explain to me the science behind the potassium depletion while on a Methylation Protocol? I understand the basics of cellular transfer in neurology, but why is potassium singled out while Magnesium, Calcium, and sodium depletion is not given the same amount of focus?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Here is why: people with CFS generally have lower potassium to begin with.

In my opinion, potassium depletion is wildly over-disagnosed and discussed on this forum. Yes, it can be an issue. It can be dangerous or uncomfortable if it comes up and is not addressed. But many times the issue is something else, and if you take potassium when you don't need it - it can be just as dangerous.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Can anyone explain to me the science behind the potassium depletion while on a Methylation Protocol? I understand the basics of cellular transfer in neurology, but why is potassium singled out while Magnesium, Calcium, and sodium depletion is not given the same amount of focus?

Do read the link provided by @Sherpa - Richvank explains in great detail why people with CFS have problems with low potassium. My potassium tanked very badly when I started Freddd's protocol, and if I hadn't known about the potassium issue, I would have had to stop the protocol because the low potassium wiped me out. Fortunately it was rather easy to fix, and I've since become much more aware of my rather constant need to supplement potassium. Besides potassium gluconate capsules (about 1200 mg.) a day, I will often have a glass of low-sodium V8 which has 900 mg. potassium but only 50 calories. It's almost impossible for me to get enough potassium through food, especially since I have to watch calories and also have a limited amount of energy to prepare food

Martial

Here is why: people with CFS generally have lower potassium to begin with.

In my opinion, potassium depletion is wildly over-disagnosed and discussed on this forum. Yes, it can be an issue. It can be dangerous or uncomfortable if it comes up and is not addressed. But many times the issue is something else, and if you take potassium when you don't need it - it can be just as dangerous.
'
In the doses recommended it really isn't too dangerous, unless someone has underlying kidney issues. Even up to 3000mg of supplemented potassium a day, the body just excretes the excess potassium it doesn't need. The RDV is also 4000mg which almost no normal person ever reaches. Low magnesium stores can also cause excessive potassium excretition. Even if potassium levels are also low in the body.

Mary

Moderator Resource
One more thing - I didn't know it at the time but I had been deficient in potassium before I even started Freddd's protocol. The way I found out was that the severe fatigue which hit me after starting methylfolate (I'd already been taking methylB12 for many years) was very familiar - I'd had it before but never knew what it was, and just assumed it was another awful part of CFS. Since I've been successfully managing my potassium requirements (which seem to increase every time I do something that increases my energy), I've not had that particular horrible fatigue and lethargy (just regular PEM etc.) And my serum potassium levels checked once a year were always in the normal range, though the low end of normal.

So I'm guessing that quite possibly many more of us - rather than less - have problems with low potassium. And it is very difficult to take too much potassium, as @Martial said - the people at risk for this are those with kidney problems. The rest of us are at much higher risk for low potassium.

Thanks to @Sherpa for Rich's link --

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Thanks for the posts on this thread. My potassium was already on the low side before starting my methylation experiment this week. I was aware of the methylation/low potassium issue, but this is a timely reminder.

Best wishes, Andy