• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with methylation results? MAO-A = ++; COMT, VDR, MTHFR, MTRR, CBS = +-

Any chance some of you experts out there can help me figure out how to put together a detox/supplement plan to counter-act my mutations?

COMT V158M rs4680 AG +/-
COMT H62H rs4633 CT +/-
VDR Bsm rs1544410 CT +/-
VDR Taq rs731236 AG +/-
MAO-A R297R rs6323 TT +/+
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 GT +/-
MTRR K350A rs162036 AG +/-
MTRR A664A rs1802059 AG +/-
CBS C699T rs234706 AG +/-
CBS A360A rs1801181 AG +/-

So far, it seems like I should supplement with B2, B3, methyl-folate, 5-HTP, and methyl-b12 (or is hydroxy better?)

I’d already been taking Jarrow’s B-Right once daily which contains all of those except the 5-HTP and it was great for about a week before making me extremely irritable. If I decrease supplementation with the B-Right to once every few days, would that be better? Am I on the right track at all? Other than adding in the 5-HTP, should I be adding other supplements?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
The only gene is see that really needs to be addressed MAO A +/+. The rest of the half-mutations are possibly, maybe not such a big deal in terms of needing to be addressed.

MAO A requires requires B2 and good thyroiud function to work properly. Get your thyroid tested by someone who knows a lot about it if you have symptoms of hypothyroid. B2 deficency is common, but not universal. I was personally B2 deficient. In addition to my morning B-complex, I took a smaller dose of B2 with lunch an dinner (5 to 10mg) - for 3 times a day total. This helped my MAO A function better.

MAO A requires requires B2 and good thyroiud function to work properly. Get your thyroid tested by someone who knows a lot about it if you have symptoms of hypothyroid. B2 deficency is common, but not universal. I was personally B2 deficient. In addition to my morning B-complex, I took a smaller dose of B2 with lunch an dinner (5 to 10mg) - for 3 times a day total. This helped my MAO A function better.

The Jarrow B-Right I'm taking has 25mg of B2. Think that's enough? I'm only taking the B-Right once every couple of days now as taking it every day is a bit too much. And my thyroid is good. I have low T and had that tested as part of my diagnosis for that. Perhaps the low testosterone is related to this all?

Sherpa

@syndac I am not a medical professional, so I can't advise you what you should take - I only tell you what I did. Whether a dose is "enough" or not depends on your level of deficiency. If your B2 status is OK, 25mg once a day is quite sufficient. If you are deficient - the clinically proven way to correct a B2 deficiency is 3x a day. That has shown to work in scientific tests.

I took the B2 in small doses (minimum 5mg) 3x a day for at least 4 weeks. In my case I started off a LOW POTENCY NatureMade B-complex in the morning, and a small piece of a B2 tablet with lunch and dinner. the lower dose B-complex was mellow, and constant saturation with B2 normalized my MAO A issues (uncomfortable reactions to methylation supplements, sleep disturbances, anxiety).

Your "bit too much" reaction to Jarrow B-right sounds like a classic MAO A R297R +/+ reaction. In my case, many supplements were "too much" and created anxiety and uncomfortable feelings. After about 4 weeks of riboflavin 3x daily, my MAO A enzyme started working properly THEN I could go back and take B-complexes containing methylfolate... like B-right... and not be overstimulated. It just felt real nice. Here's more information on how it worked for me.

Last edited:
@Sherpa Thanks for the info! I appreciate the thought you put into your responses and especially your write-up that you linked. A lot of good info. Sounds like I may need to get my B2 levels (and maybe others while I'm at it) checked.

Sherpa

@syndac

Getting vitamin levels "checked" is a tricky business. I have done dozens of diagnostic tests...sometimes they show good information, sometimes they don't. Sometimes your blood level of a vitamin is measured as "perfect" but something is blocking it from being used by the tissues that need it, etc... so the test is worthless and confusing. Two "pretty good" tests are Nutraeval and Organic Acids Test (by Great Plains Laboratory). They are both complex and confusing to interpret, but Great Plains will give you a free 30 minute phone consultation with a lab tech that is semi-helpful.

re: testosterone. If you have been under a lot of stress, or your thyroid & adrenals are imbalanced, Testosterone production can get shut down fairly quickly while your body struggles to maintain equillibrium. Sometimes low T can be associated with low zinc.

With vitamins its not too dangerous to experiment with small amounts - they are fairly forgiving and your body will "wash out" what it can't use. With minerals, you can get really screwed up if you mess up so use more caution. Nickel, Zinc & lead are what handguns are made out of.

You and I have very different genes (we only share one major mutation MAO A R297R) and may have a different underlying cause of illness - so don't assume that what I take is what you should take, etc. I would say that the NatureMade B-complex with C and All-in-One Multivitamin are both fairly gentle and less likely to cause over-reactions that more popular ones. I don't take wither of them now - but they helped me "get started' when I was over-reacting to all the other ones that were stronger.