• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: Freddd's B-12 Treatment Plan

I have tried Freddds B12 Treatment Plan with the following results:

• I am in effective remission (80%+)

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Major Improvement

Votes: 36 27.7%
  • Moderate improvement

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Minor improvement

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • No change

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • Minor crash

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Moderate crash

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Major crash

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Unable to continue protocol

Votes: 15 11.5%

• Total voters
@Freddd

Thanks so much for your detailed information!

I am a newbie looking to embark on methylation unblocking. Just to clarify: what are the core "deadlock quartet" supplements?

My current understanding of what's initially required (in simplified terms, I've noted brands/amounts above) is this:

1) Remove folate/glutathione from diet. Add back in when comfortable with the progress of the protocol.
2) Low dose B-Complex (1, 2 &3) without folic, folinic acid and CyCbl.
3) Sufficient diet/supplementation of: Vit A, C, D, E, magnesium, zinc, calcium, selenium, chromium, trace minerals, lecithin, and Omega 3.
4) MeCbl
5) AdoCbl
6) L-methylfolate
7) Potassium
8) L-Carnitine Fumarate

A few questions:
a) is this correct?
b) is there anything necessary/advisable to take after 8?
c) are Bananas a sufficient source of potassium, as opposed to supplementation?
d) any particular brands in 2 & 3 that are advisable? any that should be avoided?
e) i plan to start on small doses of 4, 5, 6, and 8. But what are the maximum amounts I should be working up to?
f) if I notice an increase in symptoms during the early stages of the protocol, this is to be expected and I should continue taking the supplements?
g) if there is no increase in symptoms during the early stages than I can increase the dosages?
h) if after increasing the dosages to the maximum there is still no increase in symptoms, nor any noticeable improvement, then I probably do not need to continue the protocol?

I really appreciate your work. Thanks so much!

Last edited:

knackers323

There was recently a new thread made that has all the current recommended brands of each supp in freddd s treatment plan.

Anyone know what it is called?

Thanks

picante

I've been on Freddd's B-12 protocol since October, and I wouldn't persist with it if I didn't think it was starting to address the root causes of my 22-year illness.

However, I haven't voted in this poll. I'm still discovering basic cofactors that I've missed and still learning which symptoms are indicative of which deficiencies.

Many people have commented on the difficulty of actually finding out what the full protocol is. For myself, I did an entire month of reading on the forum before starting the DQ, and at that point I thought I had the essentials in place, but didn't.

@sheclimber's recent PDF file is the closest thing to a reference document for the full protocol, and it is very recent:
http://www.phoenixrising.me/forums/index.php?entries/my-understanding-of-freddds-protocol.1697/

I understand the need to keep updating a reference document like this one. However, such a tool has been sorely needed on this site.

I would love to see this poll redone at some point, once there is a way to know whether we newbies are really following the protocol or just pieces of it.

I would love to see a crowd-sourced effort to either improve & revise sheclimber's document as needed, or to develop a flow chart that people can follow, complete with links to explanations of these concepts. For me, understanding them is as vital as having a short chart I can refer to. The map is not the territory, but I still need the map.

I would be willing to contribute English editing skills to that sort of effort.

It would also be great if we could somehow factor time into the poll, might have to use an outside service like survey monkey. I haven't voted in the poll because I've only been on the protocol for 2 months, and I'm still adding things in. That said, I'm already solidly at Moderate Improvement.

I also love the idea @picante presented about crowd-sourcing a guide.

Leopardtail

I'm glad to see this poll here, though disappointed to see no takers on filling it out... That is my big question regarding Fredd's protocol and it's success. I am eagerly anticipating getting my labwork together and getting started on the protocol myself, but I am surprised and confused to feel the consensus throughout the site as that of underlying hopelessness for a lasting cure. If Fredd's protocol healed HIM, and Dr. Rich and others have been successful with it as well, why are we not hearing more hope and healthy anticipation about it throughout this site?
Don't get too disparaged Tara. ME is an umbrella for a mish-mash of different problem. The B12 protocol did not work for me (I had high B12 and healthy methylation before it). B2, vitamin C and ribose did though.

Gondwanaland

That is the smell of methyl arsenate coming out of a persons lungs
I usually get a garlicky funny breath from selenium. I know that selenium has its own garlicky touch, but was wondering if it is possible to tell them apart.

Freddd

I usually get a garlicky funny breath from selenium. I know that selenium has its own garlicky touch, but was wondering if it is possible to tell them apart.

I doubt that selenium creates methyl arsenates. Also, consider that arsenic has a short serum halflife and normally a person has to have a regular source of input to have chronic arsenic poisoning, such as water, food or something added to food or drink. Arsenic grabs methyl groups very aggressively. I don't know why selenium would. Curious.

Hello there,
I am cfs patients from age of 18, and I am here from India. I had not done anything in treating my illness except pacing and now I am 24, it is some 5 years have been passed and now I am trying to start the methylation treatment, and I am very concerned with the treatment, I am working full time in a Job as Medical Representative and I have to ride my motorbike in the most unsafest road of the world and very concerned to start with it. And I maybe at my 70 percent of my pre illness level with pre emptive rest and pacing.
And I want to know that where to get all the supplement If i want to start with it. Please help me in the pro and con of it. and I can not afford costly supplement because I belong to low income group. Please help me.

Hello there,
I am cfs patients from age of 18, and I am here from India. I had not done anything in treating my illness except pacing and now I am 24, it is some 5 years have been passed and now I am trying to start the methylation treatment, and I am very concerned with the treatment, I am working full time in a Job as Medical Representative and I have to ride my motorbike in the most unsafest road of the world and very concerned to start with it. And I maybe at my 70 percent of my pre illness level with pre emptive rest and pacing.
And I want to know that where to get all the supplement If i want to start with it. Please help me in the pro and con of it. and I can not afford costly supplement because I belong to low income group. Please help me.

Critterina

Hi @Farhan Muzzumil ,
I buy mostly from Piping Rock and Swanson websites for good quality and good prices. I may also use Vitacost and iherb from time to time. I also check the sale shelf wherever I go.
Good luck to you!

Okay thank you for your response @celedonia I will throughly read it with my fullest attention whatever I will have at the time.
Hi @Farhan Muzzumil,
Congratulations on getting to 70% of normal! I agree with your concern. It's easy to make yourself worse with this disease. The best thing would be to study and research everything before diving in.

Check out my links on methylation (in my signature below). That should explain a lot and help you decide what to do.[/QUO

Hi @Farhan Muzzumil ,
I buy mostly from Piping Rock and Swanson websites for good quality and good prices. I may also use Vitacost and iherb from time to time. I also check the sale shelf wherever I go.
Good luck to you!
dear @crittenia there are problems of availability in India well I had seen them on amazon brand name is Jarrow and this is the only brand available there, my problem is that I dont know if buying the right thing or not.
I am giving you the link If you can tell me it is right or not.
http://www.amazon.in/Jarrow-Formula...9187&sr=1-1&keywords=5-methyltetrahydrofolate